ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pitt being sued

Let me get this in before the thread spirals out of control. I was under the impression that Pitt terminated him. I guess the merits of the lawsuit will hinge upon details of that termination.

This thread should get good, at least until it's deleted. Better use the microwave for the popcorn.
Yeah . I mean I really didn't post it to have it go off the rails .
Just pointing out that it is kind of a chicken *hit lawsuit .
Hell i'm with Souf on this one ! Lol.

Its the nature of the beast today. Lawyers look for entities with big pockets who are far more inclined to settle than fight in court. This has NOTHING to do with the merits of the case.

Certainly-

But pitt isn’t accountable for the actions of s bad cop working somewhere else

I agree - it’s ridiculous - but it’s how the system works.
Before you go to court discovery, depositions, interrogatories, new matters, etc etc - you can easily spend $100k or more before seeing the courtroom.
Good luck in suing for legal fees from someone who doesn’t have it.
Pitts a good target - they got money.

I agree - it’s ridiculous - but it’s how the system works.
Before you go to court discovery, depositions, interrogatories, new matters, etc etc - you can easily spend $100k or more before seeing the courtroom.
Good luck in suing for legal fees from someone who doesn’t have it.
Pitts a good target - they got money.
While I agree .
It does shed a less than dim light on the Antwon Rose family and their representation ... I don't know . The whole thing just stinks .

Its the nature of the beast today. Lawyers look for entities with big pockets who are far more inclined to settle than fight in court. This has NOTHING to do with the merits of the case.
Yep .
The bigger the settlement . The bigger the attorney fees .

Let me get this in before the thread spirals out of control. I was under the impression that Pitt terminated him. I guess the merits of the lawsuit will hinge upon details of that termination.
The fact that they (Pitt) terminated him isn't enough ?

It would be enough for me, but I haven't had to bury a son.
Yeah that thought occurred to me .
You go through the grief of losing a son .
You get angry . Then the lawyer or lawyers start to pursue and tell you what
they can do for you to "ease the pain" .
Sad and sleazy in a perverted sort of way .

Before I retired I was in the risk management business.

It's not the entitiy, business or university that makes the settle or fight decision it's the insurance company.

Insurance companies like knows not unknows. They like to value a claim and settle the claim.

Unless it's a slam dunk in favor or PITT the insurance company is likely to do their work/due diligence, work with the insured to finalize a settlement plan and make the plaintiff an offer to close out the case and fix their exposure at a number.

Once an insurance company settles a claim they book the liability and move on.
Of course they work with the insured but the insurance company makes the final decision to settle or not settle. Except for the deductible it's the insurance companies money.
Most insurance contracts have a clause stating this.

From an insurance companies viewpoint the worst outcome is to have a claim go to a court because you never know how a jury or judge might react since the sky could be the limit.

We had a case that involved a serious injury ( paralysis), the injured party was in their 30's, was a contractor with basic insurance, would spend the remainder of their life in a wheel chair, the insurance company valued the case at $ 50 mill, made settlement offers, the case unfortunately ( smart lawyers) went to a court and jury and the jury awarded the injured party just over $ 100 mill. The lawyers knew the jury would include people we didn't like the company where the injury took place due to a history of layoffs and other stuff.
The award was appealed and reduced but it was way of $ 50 mill.

Here's a morbid insurance related tidbit.

Serious injury claims like paralysis are valued and settle for more than deaths.
With a death the person is gone, the related parties don't want to go through the pain of a courtroom trial and usually take a settlement and move on with their lives, etc.

With lets say paralysis they ( related parties) have to deal with the injured party for their lifetime, incur 24/7 lifetime healthcare costs, and the injured party is often in the courtroom for the jury to see.

--
photo-69703.gif

Last edited:
Before I retired I was in the risk management business.

It's not the entitiy, business or university that makes the settle or fight decision it's the insurance company.

Insurance companies like knows not unknows.

Unless it's a slam dunk in favor or PITT the insurance company is likely to do their work/due diligence and make the plaintiff an offer to close out the case and fix their exposure at a number.
Once an insurance company settles a claim they book the liability and move on.
Of course they work with the insured but the insurance company makes the final decision to settle or not settle. Except for the deductible it's the insurance companies money.
Most insurance contracts have a clause stating this.

From an insurance companies viewpoint the worst outcome is to have a claim go to a court because you never know how a jury or judge might react since the sky could be the limit.

We had a case that involved a serious injury ( paralysis), the injured party was in their 30's, was a contractor with basic insurance, would spend the remainder of their life in a wheel chair, the insurance company valued the case at $ 50 mill, made settlement offers, the case unfortunately ( smart lawyers) went to a court and jury and the jury awarded the injured party just over $ 100 mill. The lawyers knew the jury would include people we didn't like the company where the injury took place due to a history of layoffs and other stuff.
The award was appealed and reduced but it was way of $ 50 mill.

Here's a morbid insurance related tidbit.

Serious injury claims like paralysis are valued and settle for more than deaths.
With a death the person is gone, the related parties don't want to go through the pain of a courtroom trial and usually take a settlement and move on with their lives, etc.

With lets say paralysis they ( related parties) have to deal with the injured party for their lifetime, incur 24/7 lifetime healthcare costs, and the injured party is often in the courtroom for the jury to see.

--
photo-69703.gif

Nailed it. Again it has nothing to do with the merits of the case The plaintiffs lawyers look for the firm(s) with the deepest pockets and go after them If there were another company peripherally involved in this case they Would be sued as well. I’m also sure this family had a number of lawyers competing To handle their case

The only way Pitt or its insurers would even offer nuisance value for a case like this is if it somehow survived a motion for summary judgment. Which it won't. This lawsuit will get tossed before it even sniffs a jury.

More PC BS, like you're supposed to be able to predict who will be a killer. For example, I'm ok with tougher gun laws, like background checks etc. But no evaluation by mental health professionals, they can't tell who will kill and who won't, NEVER! They'd deny guns to people who won't kill and give killers guns, because there's no way to tell?

Just like this, Pitt let this guy go, this guy who is a maggot, a useless speck of humanity, they shouldn't be obligated to follow him around and warn anybody about him.

Need legal counsel to my question.

Would't a ruling in favor of the plaintiffs in a case against a former employer set a dangerous precedent?

More PC BS, like you're supposed to be able to predict who will be a killer. For example, I'm ok with tougher gun laws, like background checks etc. But no evaluation by mental health professionals, they can't tell who will kill and who won't, NEVER! They'd deny guns to people who won't kill and give killers guns, because there's no way to tell?

Just like this, Pitt let this guy go, this guy who is a maggot, a useless speck of humanity, they shouldn't be obligated to follow him around and warn anybody about him.
If I were you, I'd fear mental health professionals too! They may have you locked up.

The fact that they (Pitt) terminated him isn't enough ?

Pitt didn't fully disclose the reasons for the termination. That's what I've been hearing. Then it's on the Pittsburgh Police dept. for hiring an incompetent cop, if they knew why he was terminated at Pitt.

Most of you jobbers are to scared to ever drive through East Pgh. In fact the town is VERY small ,very poor. Yeah they effed up hiring this thug but you pasty elitists have no idea how poor that community is. Its tax base in Westinghouse disappeared in 1985. The rest is history

I’ve seen insurance companies payoff frivolous suits when the plaintiff offers to settle for less than the cost of defense.
Its the way the system works.
yep....unless a judge tosses it out right away...The system is rigged against a deep-pocket defendant. Truth and justice yield to the almighty dollar.

ADVERTISEMENT