ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pittsburgh from the air, Jan. 5, 1931...

Cool photos. I remember those bridges at the Point from when I was a kid.

Great idea to turn the point area into a bit of a park...

Here's a shot of the Point in 1936 on Saint Patrick's Day. Different look for sure!
1936-flood-1532303771.jpg

This is the flood that prompted the Corps. of Engineers to build a series of dams upriver from Pittsburgh to hold back flood waters. Tionesta Dam was one.
They put up concrete river walls in Johnstown after that flood to make it a "flood free city". Till 1977 anyway. 12 inches of rain pouring into a funnel made that obsolete.

They put up concrete river walls in Johnstown after that flood to make it a "flood free city". Till 1977 anyway. 12 inches of rain pouring into a funnel made that obsolete.
The dams upriver from Pittsburgh did a pretty good job of stopping this type of flooding in Pittsburgh. The Kinzua dam was the icing on the cake.
Now the extent of Pittsburgh Flooding is closing the mon wharf parking area and the bathtub portion of the parkway.

I don't know many cities that can come from a grimy , depressing looking area to what it has become . Really , not that long ago .
I like it .

I remember visiting the park in 70' .
Being an 8 year old from the burbs the whole city experience was like landing on another planet .
tumblr_ojkh47jXbA1vhuyjso1_400.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT