ADVERTISEMENT

OT: psu Tim Banks takes lateral move to Tennessee

doubleAA's

Freshman
Aug 26, 2005
Ace recruiter for them, huge loss. Had 4 guys from Michigan this year alone he was primary recruiter of.

This is like the 4th or 5th coach to leave Stanklins staff the past few years for lateral moves. Wonder what’s going on there

Reactions: JokePa
Fans have a really bad idea of what a lateral move is. It’s not a lateral move to go from being a co-coordinator where you aren’t the playcaller to a coordinator where you are the playcaller. Just like it wasn’t a lateral move for Marion to go from a G5 position coach to a P5 position coach.

Good get for Josh Heupel. IMO, he’ll need a well-rounded if he wants to succeed at Tennessee.

PSU fans, not pleased.

EuTFgYVXIAEXOy7

Reactions: TFBaum
Fans have a really bad idea of what a lateral move is. It’s not a lateral move to go from being a co-coordinator where you aren’t the playcaller to a coordinator where you are the playcaller. Just like it wasn’t a lateral move for Marion to go from a G5 position coach to a P5 position coach.

right, definitely doesn’t seem to be a lateral move going from CO-DC to DC

Agreed.

The OP hardly seems like a “fan” so not sure what you are talking about.
It is absolutely lateral. Dc to Dc. He was at UPS for 5 years? I’m sure he got a pay raise.

It is absolutely lateral. Dc to Dc. He was at UPS for 5 years? I’m sure he got a pay raise.
Again, “co-DC” to “DC” is a promotion when you go from “not being the guy who calls plays” to “the guy who calls plays.” When Gattis left his WR coach spot at Penn State for the co-OC/WR coach (not playcaller) spot at Alabama a few years back, or when Charles Huff left the RB coach at Penn State to be the Assistant head coach/RB coach at Mississippi State, those were closer to lateral moves even with a big pay bump.

But the difference between not calling plays and calling plays is massive when you’re moving up the ladder. It’s the difference between little more than a title and a pay bump versus actually being considered for head coaching jobs if the defense plays well.

Brent Pry was the defensive coordinator. Banks was the Co-defensive coordinator and did not call the plays. He going to be the defensive coordinator which is certainly a promotion.

Who in their right actually tried to say Marion made a lateral move?

Not a lateral move... Tennessee is a step up from psu and is a better program in every way.

The goal for spending top 5 money is to make the CFP....period! Neither of these teams have done that but only one has spent that kind of money. TN is spending big money with this new coaching staff so you have to give them a few years to see if it worked. Heupel looks like a great hire to me! Not a lateral move and I stick by the looking at cows statement!

Ace recruiter for them, huge loss. Had 4 guys from Michigan this year alone he was primary recruiter of.

This is like the 4th or 5th coach to leave Stanklins staff the past few years for lateral moves. Wonder what’s going on there
1. How is going from being the co-defensive coordinator who doesn't call play that works under the defensive coordinator (Pry) to being the defensive coordinator not a promotion.
2. Who are the 4th or 5th guys. The only ones I would say were lateral was in 2016 when Shoop went to UT and Hand went to Auburn. That was when Penn State was still on sanctions and did not have a break out season. The only other one was Gattis going to Alabama but most wouldn't consider that lateral because if you have a chance to work for Saban you go. There not an assistant on Pitt's staff who wouldn't jump at a chance to work for Saban.

The goal for spending top 5 money is to make the CFP....period! Neither of these teams have done that but only one has spent that kind of money. TN is spending big money with this new coaching staff so you have to give them a few years to see if it worked. Heupel looks like a great hire to me! Not a lateral move and I stick by the looking at cows statement!

And as you can guess, most Tennessee fans think it's a bad hire.

I watched the Vols more this year as the wheels fell off, and since they are going to be an opponent next year. It's one thing to suck, it's something else to suck and be boring as hell. I think Heupel will at least make them a little more fun to watch, while still getting curb-stomped by the upper half of the SEC. I think it's a decent hire giving the current dumpster fire and future uncertainty. I'm not sure what they expected.

Tennessee is a better program, more money, more fans, better tradition... just better in every way than ps...

Definitely a step up and this isn’t the first time Tennessee has taken coaches from ps.

IMO, Penn State and Tennessee are on the same level in the college football hierarchy; I’d rank them in a “second tier” below the traditional blue bloods (Alabama, Ohio State, etc).

Penn State has definitely had more recent success, but Tennessee may have a slightly higher ceiling due to the relative divisional competition of each program. Penn State will likely always be behind Ohio State and have to compete with one of Michigan/Michigan State. Luckily for Tennessee, they avoid Alabama in the SEC East. Georgia and Florida are close enough where they have a chance to surpass them under the right leadership.

All that being said, I still think the new job is an upgrade for Pry. I don’t think it has anything to do with the prestige of either program; he’s now the sole defensive coordinator along with the play caller.

Another indication it’s a promotion? He’s getting close to double his previous salary! (source, source). Sign me up for that type of “lateral move.” :cool:

Nothing new from Franklin. He has a history of coaches leaving for lateral moves

Bob Shoop did the EXACT same thing going to UT

Herb Hand left for the same job at auburn, Huff followed Moorhead, spencer took the same job for the giants

This is big recruiting loss, but probably even bigger is their TE coach left too a month ago, the guy brought in great TE recruits.

Then again college coaches don’t usually stay one place long no matter who it is.

Hahaha so damn funny
Just stating the facts.
Penn State Pedophile Coverup

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT