ADVERTISEMENT

OT: QBs in the Draft

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
As I look at this class that is supposed to be so much better than last year's, I just don't see it.
I have no confidence in the Alabama QB on the next level. Stroud, an OSU QB, has to prove it as all their QBs are less than stellar at the next level, and none of the other guys wow me. The Kentucky guy underwhelmed me in what I saw of him.

Can any of you draftniks explain to me why this class is so great?

The draft class stayed the same from last year to this year. Young and Stroud at the top without anyone else emerging. Given the arm strength, it's possible Levis and Richardson both go way higher than they should.

I think part of the hype is because where they are coming from. We can have our opinions on if these guys will be good, but coming from Alabama and OSU certainly isn't hurting them. The other reason people consider this class better is that it looks like 4 quarterbacks will go in the 1st round as opposed to last year.

I think Bryce Young is too small to last a long time, Stroud had a ton of talent around him and Levis didn't impress against the better teams he faced. Hopefully is 5 years we will look back and see Kenny having a better career than any of these guys.

Reactions: Dan1911
I don’t get the combine. Don’t scouts have enough film on these guys? Who cares what they can do when there are no defenses.

I think when people said last year that this QB class will be much better, a lot of it was contingent on certain things coming to fruition that never did. As funny as it sounds now, even DJ U having a monster bounce back season and declaring for the draft was completely in the cards at this time last year.

Same with Richardson, who started off with a bang and then had a meh season, and Levis, who just had a meh season.

Plus, you have two top 5 QB's (whether deserving or not), whereas you didn't last year, so it's still going to be perceived as being better as a whole. Like if Pickett were in the year's class, he would be the third QB taken, at best. And last year wasn't just about Pickett being the only first rounder; he was the only dude taken in the first two rounds, which is nuts for that position.

Lost the dam link, but saw something that Larry Fitzgerald is working with/mentoring/whisperer to Stroud, to make him better prepared to be a “franchise QB.” I think the article was SI.

I can’t say I was thrilled. I would find it a fantastic story if Fitz took Jared Wayne under his wing to prepare HIM for trying to latch on and succeed in the league. JW appears to lack tremendous speed but he has size and lots of PT experience, including making many clutch catches in big games in 2021 (yeah, some drops at times too in 22), with ability to get open, guts to go over the middle, and good catching technique. But he isn’t given a whole lot of regard (that I have seen). I think that’s unfortunate and what a boost he could get if Fitz publicly took him on as a ‘project’.

Stroud doesn’t need this help. He’s set for life already. At very worst he staggers and sputters and maybe doesn’t do much as a starter, but he can make a fabulous living moving around the league as a backup and scout guy. Just don’t cross any interstates on foot and under the influence and it’s a 1% life guaranteed.

But a lunch pail guy like Wayne could REALLY benefit.

Last edited:
I saw the article. It seemed like Fitzgerald just gave him some advice entering the entire draft process. It didn't sound like anything more than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT