ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Saudi Arabia and sports

pitt90seven

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
so if you're not aware, SA is dipping big into sports. let's get everyone up to speed:

1. they essentially took over the PGA. technically a merger but not really.
2. bought newcastle in the english premier league. as other arab nations have done, the club is owned by their, "investment fund." which is unlimited state-backed money. they can buy any player or manager and almost no one can compete (except the other arab owned clubs).. the EPL is, by far, the richest league of the most popular sport in the world.
3. SA is now buying high level soccer players to play in their garbage domestic league. offering $200M+/year. you read that right: $200m/year. almost everyone knows christian ronaldo and he now plays there.

why are they spending this much money? answer: to whitewash their human rights record. and, i believe, to shove it in the faces of western democracies. ie - "we own you and don't you forget it."

now why am i going on about this, you ask?

well, it's coming to the US. not a matter of if, but when. they will buy a NFL team, a NBA team, etc. how do you feel about that?

and even further, they'll start doing NIL deals for college players. you may think that's far-fetched but it isn't. it WILL happen. the only question is if they sponsor a variety of players or just sponsor an entire college. gonna be a sad day for sports....that is, unless they want to build us an on-campus stadium. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News