ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Skenes question

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
How do MLB rookie contracts work and how soon can the Yankees get him? Also, do you think the Yanks have him on a yearly pitch count? This situation reminds me a little of Pitt football developing young players for bigger programs.

It’s going to be either 5 or 6 years depending on service time. MLB’s rules are pretty complicated and have some nuances.

I’m sure the Pirates are going to want to avoid his arbitration years (starting Year 4) by trying to sign him to a long-term, big money deal, maybe as early as next year.

The pirates are a developmental team a glorified triple A team playing in the big leagues, skenes wont be here long

Reactions: Blue Goose
Instead of a pitch count or taking him out after 6 innings, they should leave him in 9 innings or even more if he's dominating, who cares if he burns out his arm if he's leaving in 5 years anyways. Why care about protecting his future Yankees career?

Reactions: Tucker99
How do MLB rookie contracts work and how soon can the Yankees get him? Also, do you think the Yanks have him on a yearly pitch count? This situation reminds me a little of Pitt football developing young players for bigger programs.

The Yankees could get him today if they made the right offer. I'm not sure what that would entail, but anyone can be traded.

And the Yankees, and every other team in major league baseball, would have him on pitch and innings limits.

Instead of a pitch count or taking him out after 6 innings, they should leave him in 9 innings or even more if he's dominating, who cares if he burns out his arm if he's leaving in 5 years anyways. Why care about protecting his future Yankees career?

Because if you do that and you ruin his arm this year you miss out on the next four years of him pitching for you.

And if you do that to a guy like him, other guys aren't going to come pitch for you if/when they have a choice.

It’s going to be either 5 or 6 years depending on service time. MLB’s rules are pretty complicated and have some nuances.

I’m sure the Pirates are going to want to avoid his arbitration years (starting Year 4) by trying to sign him to a long-term, big money deal, maybe as early as next year.

Lol. Good one.

Yawn.

So people who follow college sports who at most has a player for 5 years, and now is lucky to keep them for more than one is going to worry and criticize the Pirates for something that won't happen for at least 5 more years. I have no illusions the Pirates will be able to retain him for the long term, but that is over 6 years away. Meanwhile, we all enjoyed Bubs Carrington for 1 year, Jordan Addison for 2. Can't we let Pirates fans enjoy Skenes for 5 years??

Eligible for 3 years of arbitration after 3 years service. So he is under Pirate control thru 2029. Unless traded earlier like in his 5th year.

Pirates should either:

1. Trade him right now for an insane haul if they don’t think they have a legit WS window during his pre-arbitration years.

2. Trade everything on the farm that isn’t nailed down to get MLB talent to put around him during his window.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT