ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Some more good news regarding Covid-19 vaccines ... preliminary Moderna Vaccine results ....

goalieman

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2002
A week or so ago, Pfizer announced the very promising preliminary results of it's m-RNA based Covid-19 vaccine and now Moderna announced the preliminary results of it's similar m-RNA based Covid-19 vaccine with basically the same very encouraging results as the Pfizer vaccine ...... see link below for PG article ......

Cliff notes version of the Moderna vaccine results ....

1) The study (vaccine vs placebo) was analyzed by an independent data monitoring board after 95 cases of Covid-19 developed in the study patients ...... the vaccine was 94.5 % effective, 90 of the 95 cases were in the placebo group, 5 cases were in the vaccine group, there were 11 "severe" Covid-19 cases and all were in the placebo group, participation and monitoring are ongoing.

2) No serious side effects nor safety concerns so far .... most common side effects were fatique, muscle aches, injection site pain usually after 2nd dose, slightly worse then flu shot and about like the shingles vaccine.

3) Requires 2 doses

4) 20 million doses should be available by end of 12/20.

5) Vaccine needs to be frozen at ultra low temperatures like the Pfizer vaccine but Moderna found that once their vaccine was thawed it could last for up to 30 days in a refrigerator.

All good news so far.

Reactions: CCHS82
A week or so ago, Pfizer announced the very promising preliminary results of it's m-RNA based Covid-19 vaccine and now Moderna announced the preliminary results of it's similar m-RNA based Covid-19 vaccine with basically the same very encouraging results as the Pfizer vaccine ...... see link below for PG article ......

Cliff notes version of the Moderna vaccine results ....

1) The study (vaccine vs placebo) was analyzed by an independent data monitoring board after 95 cases of Covid-19 developed in the study patients ...... the vaccine was 94.5 % effective, 90 of the 95 cases were in the placebo group, 5 cases were in the vaccine group, there were 11 "severe" Covid-19 cases and all were in the placebo group, participation and monitoring are ongoing.

2) No serious side effects nor safety concerns so far .... most common side effects were fatique, muscle aches, injection site pain usually after 2nd dose, slightly worse then flu shot and about like the shingles vaccine.

3) Requires 2 doses

4) 20 million doses should be available by end of 12/20.

5) Vaccine needs to be frozen at ultra low temperatures like the Pfizer vaccine but Moderna found that once their vaccine was thawed it could last for up to 30 days in a refrigerator.

All good news so far.

If we can just get at-risk Americans vaccinated (older, underlying conditions, healthcare workers, etc), life could return to close to normal. The virus will still be widespread but very few people will be hospitalized or die.

If we can just get at-risk Americans vaccinated (older, underlying conditions, healthcare workers, etc), life could return to close to normal. The virus will still be widespread but very few people will be hospitalized or die.

Projection right now is 20 mil for December. Front line workers and elderly/vulnerable.

Moderna CEO expects availability for everyone in USA by June.

Based on what I’ve read so far there are far too many people who say they’re not going to take it. At this point the only thing I can say to that is eff em. I’ve been very careful and respectful - distancing, masks, etc. Once everyone’s had a chance to get a vaccine then whatever will be will be. It’s certainly going to be interesting.

Projection right now is 20 mil for December. Front line workers and elderly/vulnerable.

Based on what I’ve read so far there are far too many people who say they’re not going to take it. At this point the only thing I can say to that is eff em. I’ve been very careful and respectful - distancing, masks, etc. Once everyone’s had a chance to get a vaccine then whatever will be will be. It’s certainly going to be interesting.
There will be some who won't take it. One is too many. But they can put their tin hats on and stay under their rocks so they don't fall off the edge of their flat earth.

Even standard flu vaccines are 95% effective. People can still get the flu or flu like symptoms after vaccination. I would thing that most would want to take a vaccine for Covid and those that don’t can continue to live like they currently do. I would take it

If a vaccine is available and as effective as these 2 apparently are, how could anyone not want it?

Even standard flu vaccines are 95% effective. People can still get the flu or flu like symptoms after vaccination. I would thing that most would want to take a vaccine for Covid and those that don’t can continue to live like they currently do. I would take it

No they’re not. A good year for the flu vaccine is 60%ish. Too many strains to be anywhere near 95%.

Reactions: APanther
Good news
Even better it appears stable under refrigeration for 30 days -
Which will make logistics and handling way easier
Yep in the usa or europe the pfizer vaccine is doable but it's pretty much a non starter in many areas. With the two we should be able to have almost 40 million vaccinated before spring. That and the fact we are likely looking at 15 or 20 confirmed cases by that time means that it's ability to spread should be slowed dramatically. Not to mention the 30 million or so that will have had it but haven't been confirmed

I'm probably not going to take it. By the time I have the chance, all the at-risk people will have taken it. I am at low-risk, so what's the point?

Actually, standard flu vaccines are more in the 45% - 50% effectiveness range. And as with this vaccine, they last maybe 6 - 9 months, if that. It's about timing.

If a vaccine is available and as effective as these 2 apparently are, how could anyone not want it?

There’s a significant group of antivaxers. Aren’t even getting their kids the childhood vaccinations.

Some people are concerned that because Bill Gates is involved so that means they’ll have a microchip injected into them.

So the short version is - a fairly large group of lunatics.

There’s a significant group of antivaxers. Aren’t even getting their kids the childhood vaccinations.

Some people are concerned that because Bill Gates is involved so that means they’ll have a microchip injected into them.

LOL!!! Man, there are some paranoid ones out there with their tin foil hats on.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

I just don't understand how politics just keeps on making Americans stupid.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I just don't understand how politics just keeps on making Americans stupid.

I'm sick of the politics. If I never see another Trump or Biden spot or ad, it will be too soon. I'm sick of hearing both of them. People just need to live their lives, use their common sense, and quit thinking politics. It's a dumb way to go about your life.

Yep in the usa or europe the pfizer vaccine is doable but it's pretty much a non starter in many areas. With the two we should be able to have almost 40 million vaccinated before spring. That and the fact we are likely looking at 15 or 20 confirmed cases by that time means that it's ability to spread should be slowed dramatically. Not to mention the 30 million or so that will have had it but haven't been confirmed
The Pfizer one frankly isn’t doable even in the us-
-80F freezers aren’t common and the manufacturers of those (hellmer) has a 6 month backlog for production

And other possible good news. Of those who took the vaccine in trial and still got covid - none had severe illness. I don’t know if the sample is big enough to determine anything but maybe it reduces symptoms and serious/critical illness.

Of course we all need to take vaccine. Ed. I suspect schools/businesses will require proof of vaccination as a prerequisite to maintaining attendance/employment.
That said, on a side note, depressing to see CEO’s cashing in on rising share price after announcement Eg. Pfizer, Kodak.
That said II, so far all we have are press releases celebrating the efficacy of Pfizer, Moderna vaccines. I’m presuming the FDA will require more.

Of course we all need to take vaccine. Ed. I suspect schools/businesses will require proof of vaccination as a prerequisite to maintaining attendance/employment.
That said, on a side note, depressing to see CEO’s cashing in on rising share price after announcement Eg. Pfizer, Kodak.
That said II, so far all we have are press releases celebrating the efficacy of Pfizer, Moderna vaccines. I’m presuming the FDA will require more.

If the CEO's of those companies were cashing in on an anticipated rising share price, based solely on inside information that no one else had, then it would be illegal and a violation of SEC rules....i.e. buying a huge block of shares before the announcement, waiting for the price to go up based on only the insider info, then selling the shares. If they cashed in on a rising share price after the announcement, as I am doing, there is nothing wrong with that. It's a good financial move to do exactly that.

Of course. However in the case of Pfizer CEO, the sale was previously scheduled well in advance of the date of the public press release and CEO says timing was out of his hands.

I suspect schools/businesses will require proof of vaccination as a prerequisite to maintaining attendance/employment.

The other thing that is going to happen (and Ticketmaster talked about this the other day and got hammered for it because of the stupid way they went about it) but for people who want to go anywhere and do anything they are going to have to prove they've had the vaccine. Want to go to the Pitt basketball game? Fine, where's your proof of vaccine. Want to go to a concert? Fine, where's your proof of vaccine. Want to go to Kennywood? Fine, where's your proof of vaccine?

Reactions: APanther
I don’t think the antivax group are politically motivated

I don't think they are either. They are motivated by their fears. And a rational argument has little chance of succeeding for people who won't do something because they are paralyzed with fear. Which is exactly what we see with the morons who won't vaccinate their kids, despite the overwhelming evidence that they should.

I don't think they are either. They are motivated by their fears. And a rational argument has little chance of succeeding for people who won't do something because they are paralyzed with fear. Which is exactly what we see with the morons who won't vaccinate their kids, despite the overwhelming evidence that they should.

They need a Mike Tomlin pep talk - the Steelers don’t live in their fears.

I'm probably not going to take it. By the time I have the chance, all the at-risk people will have taken it. I am at low-risk, so what's the point?
Very selfish look at the vaccine. You get the vaccine to prevent you from contracting the virus, but more importantly your vaccine can prevent you from spreading the virus to others who might be in a higher risk group.

Correct
Also the intersection of people who thus they are smarter than they actually are because of the internet .
It’s the unfortunate intersection of willful ignorance and international applied ignorance by people who should know better

The politics of each tend to be wildly different .

So I agree - politics aren’t the driver

It’s the unfortunate intersection of willful ignorance and international applied ignorance by people who should know better

The anti-vaccination "movement" has made some people a lot of money preying on the fears of others. It's a disgusting thing to do, but some people have no scruples.

So if all at-risk people get vaccinated, what is the point of low/no-risk people

Here's the deal. If EVERYONE in the at-risk group has been vaccinated, there is no risk of me spreading it to anyone who will get sick.

You can't be serious! You have a total lack of understanding of the science of vaccines and this disease. You have no clue.

I thought I heard standard flu vaccines are more like 60%. I guess I'm wrong

I thought I heard standard flu vaccines are more like 60%. I guess I'm wrong

No, you're right. You may even be a little on the high side. I've heard more like 40% - 50%.

I just got my flu vaccine. And I had COVID last month and I have no worries. But there will always be those few who refuse to take a vaccine for whatever reason. Not real smart.

No, you're right. You may even be a little on the high side. I've heard more like 40% - 50%.

I just got my flu vaccine. And I had COVID last month and I have no worries. But there will always be those few who refuse to take a vaccine for whatever reason. Not real smart.

Varies by year. I think sometimes it’s as low as 30. They try to nail the strains that they think will be most prevalent. If they get it right I think it’s as high as 60. If not it’s in the 30 range. There are many strains.

It’s likely that thereason that covid is so high is because even though it mutated, they way it infects people has not. So they were able to target the spike protein. There’s some concern because some minks in Denmark had something different and it can jump to people. So much so they’re gassing all of them and it’s being monitored closely.

I feel the same way. Chances are i will either have had it or so many will have had it or be vaccinated that there wont be any use taking it. I am 43 with no known issues so i wont be anywhere near the front of the line

Very exciting news and great work by everyone involved in the development and research of this vaccine!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT