ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steeler OC Search

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
So Tomlin said he’s going outside the org to find an OC who can score points and develop QBs. So I’m intrigued.

Whoever they bring in, I’d like them to bring in Whipple for an interview. I don’t want them hiring him, don’t get me wrong. But I think they might be able to get some intelligence from Whipple regarding Kenny. I’d pick Whipple’s brain on Kenny and whether he thinks they can win with him, what his strengths are, and what the overall plan would look like. And frankly every candidate should be asked the same thing. But Whipple has a history with Kenny so I would think there is some valuable intelligence that can be gained. And if he wows you, maybe the OC hired can bring Whipple on as QB coach.

Reactions: mike 301
So Tomlin said he’s going outside the org to find an OC who can score points and develop QBs. So I’m intrigued.

Whoever they bring in, I’d like them to bring in Whipple for an interview. I don’t want them hiring him, don’t get me wrong. But I think they might be able to get some intelligence from Whipple regarding Kenny. I’d pick Whipple’s brain on Kenny and whether he thinks they can win with him, what his strengths are, and what the overall plan would look like. And frankly every candidate should be asked the same thing. But Whipple has a history with Kenny so I would think there is some valuable intelligence that can be gained. And if he wows you, maybe the OC hired can bring Whipple on as QB coach.
Im still skeptical. The synic in me says that hes saying this now so he can say they did a thorough search and the two headed monster was still their best option.

Whip might make a good QB coach or offensive consultant

And you don’t think someone contacted him already in the first two years?

And you don’t think someone contacted him already in the first two years?
No I’m sure they did. But when a guy interviews for a job, he’s going to bring to the table everything. He’s going to have a plan for the offense based on the QB that’s there. And I think that plan that he’d lay out would be valuable and more thorough than anything that the good ol boys discussed.

No I’m sure they did. But when a guy interviews for a job, he’s going to bring to the table everything. He’s going to have a plan for the offense based on the QB that’s there. And I think that plan that he’d lay out would be valuable and more thorough than anything that the good ol boys discussed.
Hell, he could have just walked down the hall and talked to Duzz.

Unless the position

If this not is a big promotion, why would someone take the job. The big unknown is, "How long is Tomlin Staying in Pittsburgh?" If he's a lame duck coach, there is only a 1 year term on the position. If Tomlin is extended, that would provide security and make the job attractive. If Tomlin is a lame duck, Frank Cignetti is available. (winl)

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Why do the Steelers get new blood for HC's but retreads and in house bums for coordinators ?
I say hire some unknown like Pitt did. Can't be any worse than Canada.

Some organizations are run faulty, and it doesnt always come from the top.
Make one wrong hire, like an office manager/secretary or OC.. or let someone stay to long,
Your foundation starts to break .
Some people are cancer too, and they spread it among the others.
Lots of reasons why you can lose or have your business fail.
Its the men that break their back for pennies who you want , but show they some damn respect and they will make you a winnner.
sorry for the rant.

Reactions: PITTfanSD

Whipple as a qb coach - what he’s best at

You don't think if Tomlin wanted a bigger staff he would have it? I keep reading that Rooney needs to open the wallet, The team spends to the cap every year. adding an extra couple assistants wouldn't beak the bank.
He doesn’t set his own budget
Everyone has a boss

There is actually a salary floor in the nfl for players -
Teams are required to spend at least 89% over a 4 year period and the NFL overall requires 95% toward the cap

So- let s not commend Rooney for doing what he’s required

Some organizations are run faulty, and it doesnt always come from the top.
Make one wrong hire, like an office manager/secretary or OC.. or let someone stay to long,
Your foundation starts to break .
Some people are cancer too, and they spread it among the others.
Lots of reasons why you can lose or have your business fail.
Its the men that break their back for pennies who you want , but show they some damn respect and they will make you a winnner.
sorry for the rant.
This is so true.

Coincidentally, I was listening to the NFL Network or the such on SXM Friday morning on my commute to work and they were saying the NYGiants organization is a bad organization and a candidate was informed by an organization insider not to come there. That is bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT