ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett has nobody to blame but himself.

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
First off I truly believe 8 is the most talented QB on the Steelers.

Getting hurt was not his fault but his tepid and perhaps timid? conservative? fearful? performance allowed the gutless Tomlin to go with QB3 because the fans called for it.

I recall all of the tweets during training camp from the supposed Pittsburgh media and they all said that the biggest difference in camp is how confident Pickett had become. Even Kabooly tweeted that.

So Kenny was given the keys to the kingdom and he allowed a 3rd stringer to take his job. That’s on Ken.

I have been an engineering Manager for a long time and hired countless engineers. Some had really great promise and for whatever reason they could never turn their scholastic success into working success. At least not in my groups. Was it them? Was it me? Yes to both sometimes. But most of the time it seemed to be them because even after they left they were just average performers.

So I do understand situations are different but Ken must spend this off season figuring stuff out and working with the best trainers he can possibly pay for. And perhaps best mind coaching as well.

What I think happens though is that Tomlin leaves. That was a dramatic walk off yesterday afternoon and I don’t think you dismiss what that may mean.

It would not shock me to see Mike McCarthy get fired and the Steelers go after a “local guy”. If that happens Ken then gets a fair shot at proving himself but may not like the results. McCarthy has at least seen a very good offense and a very good QB for a few years so his judgment would be pretty clear.

I do think that Tomlin’s handling of the QB situation this year was poor and his decisions actually handcuffed him all year.

Well on Tomlin walk off… one the reporter is allowed to ask the question even if it’s timing was completely asinine…. But it’s also true Tomlin was absolutely allowed to walk away because of the asininity of the question… his team just lost a playoff game and was eliminated…. So long term I’m not sure it means much of anything

Reactions: CCHS82
Agree on Pickett's issues. The problem is that he was the guy who was supposed to not come with those issues - hence, why he was a first round pick in spite of being older and less gifted than most first round picks. So are we supposed to give him another one or two seasons just so he can reach his ceiling of being a slightly above average quarterback... and then pick up an option/sign him to a second contract for $25-$40M/year?

I don't want to be the New York Giants questioning whether or not Daniel Jones is actually a good QB for multiple years and then seemingly flipping a coin before deciding to give him a $160M second contract. Here's a good rule of thumb: If a 3rd stringer who every team on the league passed on has you questioning if he's a better player than your 26-year-old first round pick, it's probably time to go back to the drawing board on the position.

I do think Pickett is the best QB on the team, and if you want to give him another half season to see if something clicks, then fine. But it better click in a major way, because he isn't even close to that Kirk Cousins (the butt of all "ceiling" jokes) level right now.

Getting hurt was not his fault but his tepid and perhaps timid? conservative? fearful? performance allowed the gutless Tomlin to go with QB3 because the fans called for it.

I recall all of the tweets during training camp from the supposed Pittsburgh media and they all said that the biggest difference in camp is how confident Pickett had become. Even Kabooly tweeted that.

So Kenny was given the keys to the kingdom and he allowed a 3rd stringer to take his job. That’s on Ken.

I have been an engineering Manager for a long time and hired countless engineers. Some had really great promise and for whatever reason they could never turn their scholastic success into working success. At least not in my groups. Was it them? Was it me? Yes to both sometimes. But most of the time it seemed to be them because even after they left they were just average performers.

So I do understand situations are different but Ken must spend this off season figuring stuff out and working with the best trainers he can possibly pay for. And perhaps best mind coaching as well.

What I think happens though is that Tomlin leaves. That was a dramatic walk off yesterday afternoon and I don’t think you dismiss what that may mean.

It would not shock me to see Mike McCarthy get fired and the Steelers go after a “local guy”. If that happens Ken then gets a fair shot at proving himself but may not like the results. McCarthy has at least seen a very good offense and a very good QB for a few years so his judgment would be pretty clear.

I do think that Tomlin’s handling of the QB situation this year was poor and his decisions actually handcuffed him all year.
uh, he was 7-4 with a 4th and goal at the one in a tie game just before half when he was injured. His replacement was utterly awful and a mediocre 3rd stringer (who played zero games in the Canada offense this year) put together a couple good games (I won't count the Baltimore win in that category). War and Peace dissertation on kingdom key hand off not really required...

uh, he was 7-4 with a 4th and goal at the one in a tie game just before half when he was injured. His replacement was utterly awful and a mediocre 3rd stringer (who played zero games in the Canada offense this year) put together a couple good games (I won't count the Baltimore win in that category). War and Peace dissertation on kingdom key hand off not really required...
WTF is your point?

Kaboly also was convinced Rudolph was the best QB in camp. You're right that Pickett needs to work on a lot, but I don't know how much is mechanical versus how much is in his head. He panics at pressure too often and moves into pressure. This was an issue for most of his college career and now for two years in the NFL.

If Tomlin leaves and they basically hire a guy with the same resume, fans will not be happy.

Reactions: Mikefln
Kaboly also was convinced Rudolph was the best QB in camp. You're right that Pickett needs to work on a lot, but I don't know how much is mechanical versus how much is in his head. He panics at pressure too often and moves into pressure. This was an issue for most of his college career and now for two years in the NFL.

If Tomlin leaves and they basically hire a guy with the same resume, fans will not be happy.
I think that take was from two years ago. Not last year.

Pickett's issue is between the ears. Its why it took him so long to be a great college QB. His Wunderlich score was historically low. Once the light goes on, he will be really good in my opinion. Was he a 1st Round talent considering this? Probably not. But he's a guy who can be really good in a few years if the Steelers are patient

Well on Tomlin walk off… one the reporter is allowed to ask the question even if it’s timing was completely asinine…. But it’s also true Tomlin was absolutely allowed to walk away because of the asininity of the question… his team just lost a playoff game and was eliminated…. So long term I’m not sure it means much of anything
I’m not a Tomlin fan but this is spot on.

Correction, Mason did play a game under Canada and he went 35/58 for 277 yards, 60% completions, 1 TD / 1 INT, 4.34 AY/A and a 1.7% TD rate. He was worse than Kenny under Canada.

You made it sound like getting hurt badly enough to require surgery is Pickett's fault. I think he's kind of mocking that idea.
Unfortunately the injury gave Tomlin the excuse to bench him. If Ken had performed up to the standards that he and probably we expected there is no way Tomlin benches him. That’s why I called Tomlin a coward.

Unfortunately the injury gave Tomlin the excuse to bench him. If Ken had performed up to the standards that he and probably we expected there is no way Tomlin benches him. That’s why I called Tomlin a coward.
I don't see why they would have benched him. The guy had just played six or seven pretty good quarters of football and things were trending the right way with Canada gone. You know, sticking with the hot hand even though the guy was pretty banged up. And it's not like anyone was screaming that Rudolph was going to be better. If you want to call Tomlin a coward, point out that just promoting Canada and then sticking with him when it was pretty evident he was a failure, was just sad and lazy.

This is such a strange situation for the simple fact that we're two years in and we still aren't sure what we have. Does Kenny suck? The numbers show he sucks. You can look at his numbers and objectively think he stinks.

Subjectively, in my yinzer and Pitt lunacy, I think when you look at how bad the line has been, how bad Canadas play calling was, that he didn't have a real QB coach, that the run game struggled early on, I think the amount of quarterbacks who could succeed in that position are slim to none and he might still have good quarterback play in him.

Hire Bienemy already and let's find out what he has. The intangibles are there, let's put guys who know what they're doing around him to give him a legitimate chance at success.

Who did Kenny say should be blamed?

He hasn't done himself many favors off the field.

He hasn't done himself many favors off the field.
Who really cares about that? He seems to have just tweeted another click bait kind of issue. What were the reporters hoping Ken would say? He had been demoted. Wasn’t involved in game. Really very odd tweet. Perhaps Ken felt stepping forward was a not needed call for attention to himself. But certainly he did not do himself a favor but probably would have been criticized if he had talked.

Who really cares about that? He seems to have just tweeted another click bait kind of issue. What were the reporters hoping Ken would say? He had been demoted. Wasn’t involved in game. Really very odd tweet. Perhaps Ken felt stepping forward was a not needed call for attention to himself. But certainly he did not do himself a favor but probably would have been criticized if he had talked.
I just said he didn't do himself any favors. It looks like you agreed.

Had he shown up, the story would've been "Kenny said he's going to work hard and support the team any way he can" when asked about any starting QB uncertainty. With the money comes the responsibility, but this immaturity, as well as the others immaturity, comes back to the culture in the locker room. And that's Tomlins fault. I give Tomlin a lot more leeway than pretty much anyone, but where he really fails is discipline and mental crap with his team.

Had he shown up, the story would've been "Kenny said he's going to work hard and support the team any way he can" when asked about any starting QB uncertainty. With the money comes the responsibility, but this immaturity, as well as the others immaturity, comes back to the culture in the locker room. And that's Tomlins fault. I give Tomlin a lot more leeway than pretty much anyone, but where he really fails is discipline and mental crap with his team.
It feels to me that Kenny is the least of Steelers issues regarding discipline. I feel Najee was taking a shot at wide receiver corp. And in terms of kenny not doing himself favors what else besides this shows him in a poor light? I know he answered “no” to a previous click bait question and got pummeled. But to my knowledge the refusing to be backup was all a lie so his coming forward and addressing the issue actually seems like a pretty mature thing to do.

Reactions: EastOhioPanther

Why would Kenny Pickett be expected to speak to the media when his head coach stomps out of the press conference after the game when he didn't like the question he was asked? So agreed, the culture is set at the top and it is pretty bad right now.

Why would Kenny Pickett be expected to speak to the media when his head coach stomps out of the press conference after the game when he didn't like the question he was asked? So agreed, the culture is set at the top and it is pretty bad right now.
He hasn’t played in 6 weeks
What questions are they going to ask him that they haven’t before ?

He hasn’t played in 6 weeks
What questions are they going to ask him that they haven’t before ?
Dont think he can win on this one. If he speaks to the media the same clowns who said he refused to be the back up will make up something like hes trying to upstage Rudy or campaign for the starting job next year. Its a big nothing burger. Let the talking heads chirp all they want and work hard in the offseason and let his play next year do the talking. Its not like he was asked a question and blew them off.

Reactions: MorningCoffee13

You'd expect the offensive captain to talk in the final media session of the year. He was going to get some tough questions and Pickett's usually a pro answering them.

The Aditi segment starts at 17:30 mark. I don't think she's breaking any new ground but it's obvious to most that Tomlin's management of KP has been pretty awful. Well, obvious to everyone other than the local hack writers.

Reactions: gary2
I’m still surprised at the number of people that choose to overlook the 58 games of the Canada OC ineffectiveness.
Personally, I would like to see Kenny and Madon back with an efficient OC.
To me, fixing the WR attitudes is a priority.

I’m still surprised at the number of people that choose to overlook the 58 games of the Canada OC ineffectiveness.
Personally, I would like to see Kenny and Madon back with an efficient OC.
To me, fixing the WR attitudes is a priority.

Attitudes seemed to be at least partially fixed with a QB who could consistently get the ball down the field. Granted a lot of that had to do with Canada as well.

Attitudes seemed to be at least partially fixed with a QB who could consistently get the ball down the field. Granted a lot of that had to do with Canada as well.
Each one of the guys pouting about the QB situation dropped routine TDs from Kenny in the weeks immediately prior to his injury.

Each one of the guys pouting about the QB situation dropped routine TDs from Kenny in the weeks immediately prior to his injury.

No doubt. I’m just saying that Mason throws a better deep ball.

I personally think there needs to be a plan C as i don’t have a lot of faith that either KP or Mason can be the guy to get this team to the next level. For KP, largely in part to the injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT