ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sullivan

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
The leak of the story that Sullivan wants a trade (surrendering 2 first round picks) and Hextall is preventing it, most definitely should get Sullivan fired.

This should be the final nail in Sullivan's coffin. He only cares about himself, not the team.

Insubordination. Never good no matter whose side you come down on.

Wait… So Sullivan wants to surrender. 2 first round picks for what? Hextall says no?

Please , more detail….

If the report of Chychrun costing a 2025 and 2026 is true (and coming from Rossi who knows), then Hextall is 100% correct. The Penguins absolutely cannot and should not do that deal. Even if the Pens don’t bottom out, the young talent and goaltending of teams like the Rangers, Canes, Sabres, Red Wings, Ottawa etc almost guarantees that the Pens are going to miss the playoffs a few times in the coming years. If that’s the case, you need that draft capital to re-build, re-tool or whatever you want to call it. Chychrun is a good player, but he’s not worth that risk.

I did not like Sullivan’s eagerness to back Murray over Fluery. However it yielded 2 cups. I lost faith in him when a young Oskar Sundquivst was traded for Ryan Reeves who was inexplicably here for about 5 months. Similarly, this nonsense with Kapanen sounds like a video game deal gone wrong. And to top it all off this team was literally run over against NYR and had absolute trash in net and nothing was done to address either. So yeah, eff Sullivan.

Sullivan has ventured into Tomlin territory. He's a good coach, but the luster of the championships has worn off and it's probably best if the Penguins go in a different direction.
I agree that he’s a good coach. This team has not listened to the coach, any coach, for the last 30 years, though. In the years they’ve won, it’s largely due to the players’ own willingness (and by that I mean the stars) to dial back the flash at the end of playoff games, and grudgingly play responsibly (and physical). Most seasons, they haven’t been willing and they lose to far less talented teams.

Reactions: Dan1911
Sullivan has ventured into Tomlin territory. He's a good coach, but the luster of the championships has worn off and it's probably best if the Penguins go in a different direction.
The Penguins simply made the same mistake every franchise in every sport makes over and over. They stuck with aging stars who cost a lot of $$ and are well past their prime.

They are being passed up by teams with younger stars.

Unless you hire Ponce DeLeon as HC and he brings his Fountain of Youth with him, no coach can beat Father Time!

The Penguins simply made the same mistake every franchise in every sport makes over and over. They stuck with aging stars who cost a lot of $$ and are well past their prime.

They are being passed up by teams with younger stars.

Unless you hire Ponce DeLeon as HC and he brings his Fountain of Youth with him, no coach can beat Father Time!
They also didn’t trust their fanbase to stick with them through a rebuild. They have 40 home dates to sell tickets and fill a building and sell concessions, and they must have concluded that not enough fans will do that on frosty January and February Tuesday nights unless they have guarantees of seeing stars like Malkin and Letang in the lineup. Who knows, maybe they’re right. As fans we forget that this a business, I guess. It’s not just about making the playoffs and going deep.

BuThey also didn’t trust their fanbase to stick with them through a rebuild. They have 40 home dates to sell tickets and fill a building and sell concessions, and they must have concluded that not enough fans will do that on frosty January and February Tuesday nights unless they have guarantees of seeing stars like Malkin and Letang in the lineup. Who knows, maybe they’re right. As fans we forget that this a business, I guess. It’s not just about making the playoffs and going deep.
There certainly is an element of truth to this. This town has been spoiled badly when it comes to hockey and the stars we have had dating back to Mario in 1984. Anyone old enough to remember what it was like prior to his arrival can attest to the fact that it is a business, and you need stars to fill seats in the Burgh.

Just to add a little perspective, prior to Mario, me and a few others had a 10 game season ticket plan. My seats were in section E, the balcony of the igloo. I could pick any game I wanted as part of the 10 games, we would take beer in stashed in our coats, drink it during the 1st period, and then move to empty seats in the lower levels to watch the rest. The cost of a ticket for each of the ten games was $6.50. You can't even park a car for less than 3x that now.

Last edited:
Sullivan and Hextal should both be gone next year - one is stale and one is just bad.

Just to add a little perspective, prior to Mario, me and a few others had a 10 game season ticket plan. My seats were in section E, the balcony of the igloo. I could pick any game I wanted as part of the 10 games, we would take beer in stashed in our coats, drink it during the 1st period, and then move to empty seats in the lower levels to watch the rest. The cost of a ticket for each of the ten games was $6.50. You can't even park a car for less than 3x that now.

Even after that tickets were cheap. We first bought season tickets in the late 80s, so several years after Lemieux came to town. We sat in the balcony. IIRC, our first year we payed $6 per ticket for our full season ticket plan.

And you really didn't even need to sneak beers in, because I think when we started going all the time a 24 ounce beer cost all of $2.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Even after that tickets were cheap. We first bought season tickets in the late 80s, so several years after Lemieux came to town. We sat in the balcony. IIRC, our first year we payed $6 per ticket for our full season ticket plan.

And you really didn't even need to sneak beers in, because I think when we started going all the time a 24 ounce beer cost all of $2.
And everyone knew someone who worked concessions there (at least in the south hills crowd). We got tons of freebies. They eventually started counting soda cups and nacho containers. And even then there were ways around it.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT