ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Game @ the Pete & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Since around January of 1981, Pitt Panther Basketball has been far and away my favorite sports team. There is no close second.

** And during that same stretch, there has been no Panther opponent with a greater, richer and more important history with our Panthers than the Syracuse Orange.

** On another day, I may count up the number of times we’ve played the Orange in my days of fandom. But I figure it’s got to be something like at least 80 games or more.

** In 1983, I listened dutifully on radio to hear Matt Miklasevich grab 7 second half defensive glass caroms to help the Panthers secure a huge upset victory in their first campaign in the Big East.

** Five years later, Jerome Lane garnered 29 points and 15 rebounds on the final day of the Big East Season at the Dome to secure a Big East title.

** In 2001, Isaac Hawkins and Brandin Knight led the way to a most unlikely OT win to launch the Panthers to the Big East Tournament Final. In 2002, an equally unlikely Chad Johnson sparked the Panthers to a 12 point win past the Orange in the Dome after trailing by 14 midway through the second half.

** Two years later, the Panthers pulverized the Orange and surrendered to them just a paltry 41 points for a Dome beating they will never forget. In 2011 at the Pete, the Panthers came out and scored the first 19 points against the #3 Orange before settling into a sweet 8 point win.

** My list of glorious memories could go on and on and on. There’s also a long list of interesting memories in the loss column too.

** Still, my memories of this Panther win against the Orange today should rank up there with all of them. And for all that it means to the Panther program at the moment, it just might even sit at the top.

** So let’s start at the end of this game and work our way backwards. In person, I’ve seen every Panther Senior day since 1985, but I’ve never been quite as moved emotionally than I was watching the Panther players swarm Aidan Fisch postgame knowing his slashing runner fell into the basket just before the final buzzer.

** The Panther reaction to Aidan wasn’t unlike what someone might receive after a buzzer beater to win a conference championship. That really should tell us a little something about this team who now is the favorite to indeed with the ACC Championship.

** Still as fans, the other 39 minutes and 59 seconds of this game were nothing less than pure bliss. And the sometimes formidable Syracuse zone never really proved to be any kind of problem for our Panthers. Actually, we killed it in a way that I've never seen in my years of watching Pitt Hoops staring in 1981.

** In fact, the only issue in the first half was that a few too many of the Panther threes failed to hit their mark as they typically do. But in the second half, it wasn’t long before it would become clear that the Panther three point offense was the perfect foil against the 2-3 zone.

** But it isn’t just because we are fearless to let the three fly that we squished the Orange today. It’s mostly because we moved the ball effortlessly into the three point shots we actually want, instead of these being the only shots we can get.

** But 62 second half points by our Panthers? Really? That’s at least as an amazing of a performance as only surrendering 41 points to the Orange as was mentioned before.

** I could, and might, offer a whole second version of "dribbles" going player by player beyond Aidan Fisch talking about how each contributed very importantly to the Panthers 99 point offensive brilliance today. But let’s just instead repeat the stats the matter. We hit 32 shots, and assisted on 27 of them while only suffering 5 turnovers. These are nothing short of amazing numbers and why one might think of this game as one of, if not the greatest, against the Orange in our history.

** Another reason it’s worth placing this Panther win so high in our Orange archive is what it means to the Panther program. Sure, it puts us back at the top of the ACC with the subsequent losses of Miami and Virginia today. But I sat in a Peterson Events Center today that was as wonderful as the Pete we loved so fondly circa 2009.

** For the last two years, I’ve been squatting in Section 107 of Club Seats simply because there’s been no one else in the cushy seats that are offered there. But today, about 8 minutes into the game, I had to retreat to my regulars in Section 110 because the true seat holders finally showed up. This is great thing of course!

** But in those first 8 minutes, I had the pleasure to sit in front of an Oakland Zoo Alumni from the Dixon days and his Pitt law school partner. It was actually kind of glorious to experience the true Zoo energy he and his better half brought with him.

** But no worries, as we all got to experience a wonderful Zoo experience today, along with a wonderful crowd to close this wonderful home season.

** My only beef of the day? For the first time in all my years at the Pete, I realized members of the Oakland Zoo need to climb all the way to concourse to hit the bathrooms at halftime. As I stood in line with them, I couldn’t help but think we should somehow offer better accommodations to our best fans. But we all rejoiced while in line when we learned about Florida State's buzzer beater to beat Miami.

** But I offer my beef only in jest actually. As someone who has been such a fan of Pitt Basketball as long as I have been, I’m extremely grateful for a facility as great as the Pete, a student section as wonderful as the Zoo, and being able to enjoy a game and an atmosphere as special as we got to experience today.

** Perhaps the best part of my day today actually was during pregame beverages at Fuel and Fuddle. It was great to see our usual suspects, but especially to meet Lair friend @Drew1208 . Your attitude and disposition are inspiring and I hope everyone in the PantherLair nation will join me in offering our best thoughts in your personal battle. Jokingly, we Panther fans remark about how stressful games take years off our lives. For you, I hope this is the kind of game and season that adds a few to yours.

** Otherwise, I hope everyone will join me as an old and grateful Pitt Hoops fan in my joyous proclamation that not only are our Panthers BACK, but instead that we are BEYOND BACK, offering an experience today that was among the finest we’ve ever experienced at the Pete.

** Congratulations to Seniors Jarmarius, Nelly, Nike and Greg. Thank you for helping not only to bring our Panther Basketball Program back, but for giving this season of unlikely success the chance to be among our best ever.

** Onto South Bend and the ACC title! Hail to Pitt!!

** Since around January of 1981, Pitt Panther Basketball has been far and away my favorite sports team. There is no close second.

** And during that same stretch, there has been no Panther opponent with a greater, richer and more important history with our Panthers than the Syracuse Orange.

** On another day, I will count up the number of times we’ve played the Orange in my days of fandom. But I figure it’s got to be something like at least 80 games or more.

** In 1983, I listened dutifully on radio to hear Matt Mikalsevich grab 7 second half caroms to help the Panthers secure a victory in their first campaign in the Big East.

** Five years later, Jerome Lane garnered 29 points and 15 rebounds on the final day of the Big East Season to secure a Big East title.

** In 2001, Isaac Hawkins and Brandin Knight led the way to a most unlikely OT win to launch the Panthers to the Big East Tournament Final. In 2002, an equally unlikely Chad Johnson sparked the Panthers to a 12 point win past the Orange in the Dome after trailing by 14 midway through the second half.

** Two years later, the Panthers pulverized the Orange and surrendered to them just a paltry 41 points for a Dome beating they will never forget. In 2011 at the Pete, the Panthers came out and scored the first 19 points against the #3 Orange before settling into a sweet 8 point win.

** My list of glorious memories could go on and on and on. There’s also a long list of interesting memories in the loss column too.

** Still, my memories of this Panther win against the Orange today should rank up there with all of them. And for all that it means to the Panther program at the moment, it just might even sit at the top.

** So let’s start at the end of this game and work our way backwards. In person, I’ve seen every Panther Senior day since 1985, but I’ve never been quite as moved emotionally than I was watching the Panther players swarm Adien Fisch postgame knowing his runner fell into the basket just before the final buzzer.

** The Panther reaction to Aiden wasn’t unlike what someone might receive after a buzzer beater to win a conference championship. That really should tell us a little something about this team who now is the favorite to indeed with the ACC Championship.

** Still as fans, the other 39 minutes and 59 seconds of this game were nothing less than pure bliss. And the sometimes formidable Syracuse zone never really proved to be any kind of problem for our Panthers. Actually, we killed it in a way that I've never seen in my years of watching Pitt Hoops staring in 1981.

** In fact, the only issue in the first half was that a few too many of the Panther threes failed to hit their mark as they typically do. But in the second half, it wasn’t long before it would become clear that the Panther three point offense was the perfect foil against the 2-3 zone.

** But it isn’t just because we are fearless to let the three fly that we squished the Orange today. It’s mostly because we moved the ball effortlessly into the three point shots we actually want, instead of these being the only shots we can get.

** But 62 second half points by our Panthers? Really? That’s at least as an amazing of a performance as only surrendering 41 points to the Orange as was mentioned before.

** I could, and might, offer a whole second version of "dribbles" going player by player beyond Adam Fisch talking about how each contributed very importantly to the Panthers 99 point offensive brilliance today. But let’s just instead repeat the stats the matter. We hit 32 shots, and assisted on 27 of them while only suffering 5 turnovers. These are nothing short of amazing numbers and why one might think of this game as one of, if not the greatest, against the Orange in our history.

** Another reason it’s worth placing this Panther win so high in our Orange archive is what it means to the Panther program. Sure, it puts us back at the top of the ACC with the subsequent losses of Miami and Virginia today. But I sat in a Peterson Events Center today that was as wonderful as the Pete we loved so fondly circa 2009.

** For the last two years, I’ve been squatting in Section 107 of Club Seats simply because there’s been no one else in the cushy seats that are offered there. But today, about 8 minutes into the game, I had to retreat to my regulars in Section 110 because the true seat holders finally showed up. This is great thing of course!

** But in those first 8 minutes, I had the pleasure to sit in front of an Oakland Zoo Alumni from the Dixon days and his Pitt law school partner. It was actually kind of glorious to experience the true Zoo energy he and his better half brought with him.

** But no worries, as we all got to experience a wonderful Zoo experience today, along with a wonderful crowd to close this wonderful home season.

** My only beef of the day? For the first time in all my years at the Pete, I realized members of the Oakland Zoo need to climb all the way to concourse to hit the bathrooms at halftime. As I stood in line with them, I couldn’t help but think we should somehow offer better accommodations to our best fans. But we all rejoiced when we learned about Florida State's buzzer beater to beat Miami.

** But I offer my beef only in jest actually. As someone who has been such a fan of Pitt Basketball as long as I have been, I’m extremely grateful for a facility as great as the Pete, a student section as wonderful as the Zoo, and being able to enjoy a game and an atmosphere as special as we got to experience today.

** Perhaps the best part of my day today actually was during pregame beverages at Fuel and Fuddle. It was great to see our usual suspects, but especially to meet Lair friend @Drew1208 . Your attitude and disposition are inspiring and I hope everyone in the PantherLair nation will join me in offering our best thoughts in your personal battle. Jokingly, we Panther fans remark about how stressful games take years off our lives. For you, I hope this is the kind of game and season that adds a few to yours.

** Otherwise, I hope everyone will join me as an old and grateful Pitt Hoops fan in my joyous proclamation that not only are our Panthers BACK, but instead that we are BEYOND BACK, offering an experience today that was among the finest we’ve ever experienced at the Pete.

** Congratulations to Seniors Jarmarius, Nelly, Nike and Greg. Thank you for helping not only to bring our Panther Basketball Program back, but for giving this season of unlikely success the chance to be among our best ever.

As always, great write up DT. I wish I was there but as my wife would attest, I sat in the edge of my chair (w/ no one else in the room) and sweated every missed shot, and cheered and clapped loudly when our Panthers started drilling those 3’s in the 2nd halo and pulled away.
What an incredible game and season, and to think there could be a lot left!
H2P

It truly is a different experience on tv and live.
People on this site love you and now I now why , you give first hand experience.
Go Pitt.
After wandering in the desert for years, pitt!
I'm so bummed I couldn't go. It looked great on TV. We had a spaghetti dinner fundraiser for my sons youth bball league tho so I was kind of stuck. I'm glad everyone who went had a great time.

I'm ao bummed I couldn't go. It looked great on TV. We had a spaghetti dinner fundraiser for my sons youth bball league tho so I was kind of stuck. I'm glad everyone who went had a great time.
high 5 sir...........

Reactions: cabe23
As always, great write up DT. I wish I was there but as my wife would attest, I sat in the edge of my chair (w/ no one else in the room) and sweated every missed shot, and cheered and clapped loudly when our Panthers started drilling those 3’s in the 2nd halo and pulled away.
What an incredible game and season, and to think there could be a lot left!
H2P

What was so great for me was that this game offered the perfect margin for almost the whole second half. Had it been a 1-2 possession game, it would have been terribly stressful. If it would have been a 20 point lead, it may have been a bit boring. But for most of the second half, it was 8-10 points, which offered some drama, but enough distance to just enjoy watching three after three fall into the hoop while not being too stressed with any Cuse answer.

** On another day, I may count up the number of times we’ve played the Orange in my days of fandom. But I figure it’s got to be something like at least 80 games or more.

** In 1983, I listened dutifully on radio to hear Matt Miklasevich grab 7 second half defensive glass caroms to help the Panthers secure a huge upset victory in their first campaign in the Big East.

** Five years later, Jerome Lane garnered 29 points and 15 rebounds on the final day of the Big East Season at the Dome to secure a Big East title.

** So let’s start at the end of this game and work our way backwards. In person, I’ve seen every Panther Senior day since 1985, but I’ve never been quite as moved emotionally than I was watching the Panther players swarm Aidan Fisch postgame knowing his runner fell into the basket just before the final buzzer.

** The Panther reaction to Aidan wasn’t unlike what someone might receive after a buzzer beater to win a conference championship. That really should tell us a little something about this team who now is the favorite to indeed with the ACC Championship.

** I could, and might, offer a whole second version of "dribbles" going player by player beyond Aidan Fisch talking about how each contributed very importantly to the Panthers 99 point offensive brilliance today. But let’s just instead repeat the stats the matter. We hit 32 shots, and assisted on 27 of them while only suffering 5 turnovers. These are nothing short of amazing numbers and why one might think of this game as one of, if not the greatest, against the Orange in our history.

** My only beef of the day? For the first time in all my years at the Pete, I realized members of the Oakland Zoo need to climb all the way to concourse to hit the bathrooms at halftime. As I stood in line with them, I couldn’t help but think we should somehow offer better accommodations to our best fans. But we all rejoiced while in line when we learned about Florida State's buzzer beater to beat Miami.

Awe thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure how you guys all know how much you mean to me and have helped me just by existing.

My wife cried in joy watching Aiden today and I'd be lying if I wasn't shedding a tear right now.

What was so great for me was that this game offered the perfect margin for almost the whole second half. Had it been a 1-2 possession game, it would have been terribly stressful. If it would have been a 20 point lead, it may have been a bit boring. But for most of the second half, it was 8-10 points, which offered some drama, but enough distance to just enjoy watching three after three fall into the hoop while not being too stressed with any Cuse answer.

At some point in the second half I was thinking, man, if Syracuse can get a couple stops and hit a couple shots they will be right back in this game. But there was never a time when I thought the lead was in any sort of trouble, because this Syracuse team plays defense so poorly that the idea that they could stop us on any sort of consistent basis seemed ridiculous. The only way they could stay in the game, let alone win, would be for us to miss shots that we are usually pretty good at making. And I mean a lot of those kinds of shots.

Reactions: Drew1208
At some point in the second half I was thinking, man, if Syracuse can get a couple stops and hit a couple shots they will be right back in this game. But there was never a time when I thought the lead was in any sort of trouble, because this Syracuse team plays defense so poorly that the idea that they could stop us on any sort of consistent basis seemed ridiculous. The only way they could stay in the game, let alone win, would be for us to miss shots that we are usually pretty good at making. And I mean a lot of those kinds of shots.
Exactly what I was thinking. I looked at the score at 60 and thought they will probably let us get to 100. So there's no way they can catch up

i knew they couldnt come back because this night was 2 special.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Great post as always. My only gripe is that you failed to bring up the Sam Young steal that led to the Keith Benjamin layup in the final seconds to win it at the dome in the 07-08 year.

Oh ... I thought of that for sure. We were actually taking about that game at Fuel and Fuddle today After all, we came back from 11 points down in the final 3:43. I also could have talked about our "Clinic is Open" performance at the Pete as Jaron Brown stymied Carmelo Anthony. There were several more.

But I did also want to move into today! LOL!!

Awe thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure how you guys all know how much you mean to me and have helped me just by existing.

My wife cried in joy watching Aiden today and I'd be lying if I wasn't shedding a tear right now.

Oh ... I wiped a more than few tears from my eyes then too.

** So let’s start at the end of this game and work our way backwards. In person, I’ve seen every Panther Senior day since 1985, but I’ve never been quite as moved emotionally than I was watching the Panther players swarm Aidan Fisch postgame knowing his slashing runner fell into the basket just before the final buzzer.

Sorry I couldn't stop by but with my father it would have been too tough. Hope to meet you and some other Lair members some day. But I had a great time and the atmosphere was phenomenal. Elliott imo was the difference maker in the second half. Once he made his first 3 he couldn't miss. And when Federiko got his 4th foul Guillermo DG came back into the game and played wonderfully. Blocking shots, dunking and playing great defense.

Overall the atmosphere was electric and I missed this so much. Hell there was even a couple sitting to the right of me who brought their 2 year old daughter to the game. I mean heck, why not right?

A good example of how this team has improved since the beginning of ACC play is the way Pitt was able to handle the Syracuse press today, compared to how they handled it in December. In the game at the 'Cuse, we had a big lead in the second half, and the press almost enabled them to come back and tie at the end. We had numerous turnovers, and just had a difficult time getting good offensive possessions. Today, the press was not a problem at all. I believe it caused 1 turnover, and Pitt ended up with open 3's or easy buckets just about every time. We went from 15 turnovers in December to 5 today.

Sorry I couldn't stop by but with my father it would have been too tough. Hope to meet you and some other Lair members some day. But I had a great time and the atmosphere was phenomenal. Elliott imo was the difference maker in the second half. Once he made his first 3 he couldn't miss. And when Federiko got his 4th foul Guillermo DG came back into the game and played wonderfully. Blocking shots, dunking and playing great defense.

Overall the atmosphere was electric and I missed this so much. Hell there was even a couple sitting to the right of me who brought their 2 year old daughter to the game. I mean heck, why not right?

My son -- now 17 -- had his best time ever at the Pete today. But we used to bring him to a few games at the Pete when he was six to nine months old. At the time, we sat next to @Atch and me son spent a more than a few moments of those one year old games on Mrs. Atch's lap. Memories I will never forgot for sure.

Otherwise, although we understand, we were hoping to see you today. Maybe we may try a gamewatch in the coming days.

Elliott. Difference maker? 19 second half points. Do you think?

Outstanding post, DT. Your memory for Pitt games is amazing. And you conveyed the joy of today’s Pete experience so well.

I’m still afraid of waking up to find that this Panther BB season has been a dream.

Go Pitt.

Reactions: Pav9870
My son -- now 17 -- had his best time ever at the Pete today. But we used to bring him to a few games at the Pete when he was six to nine months old. At the time, we sat next to @Atch and me son spent a more than a few moments of those one year old games on Mrs. Atch's lap. Memories I will never forgot for sure.

Otherwise, although we understand, we were hoping to see you today. Maybe we may try a gamewatch in the coming days.

Elliott. Difference maker? 19 second half points. Do you think?
That's who both me and my father said was the difference maker. He scored what, 19 or 20 points that half? He was so clutch and it was so weird because in the first half he missed all his attempts. I was starting to think if maybe Nike should play a lot in place of him in the 2nd half. But Greg came through and Nike even made a couple 3's too!!

where are your seats DT ? how long have you been going? sorry for not knowing .

My actual seats are in 107 at the moment. I've been going to games since I was a student starting in 84-85. I try to make all games. I've only missed four games at the Pete.

0-5 in the first half, 5-6 in the second half. All threes.

The best part was you just KNEW that you wanted him to keep shooting them because you KNEW that he was going to start hitting some. But he hit more than SOME for sure.

The press was funny because it almost always led to a 2 on 1 fastbreak and Elliott swished a few threes from the corner, giving him the most open looks he had all game.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
My actual seats are in 107 at the moment. I've been going to games since I was a student starting in 84-85. I try to make all games. I've only missed four games at the Pete.
interesting .
My heart can only take soo much, i sat down low for the first time.
sooo much fun sir

I'm so bummed I couldn't go. It looked great on TV. We had a spaghetti dinner fundraiser for my sons youth bball league tho so I was kind of stuck. I'm glad everyone who went had a great time.

This sounds pretty great in it's own way too though.

Reactions: Drew1208
He's in 3rd grade but on the 4th grade team, so he's definitely a role player this season, but I'm just having fun coaching and I'm glad he likes basketball. Still, I'd much rather have gone to the Pitt game. I'm glad you and @Drew1208 got to meet!

Aren't we ALL role players more or less? LOL

Reactions: cabe23
@DT_PITT - excellent recap as always. You must have an eidetic mind to recall all of the great (and not so great) moments of 42 yrs of Pitt Basketball. Amazing!

All I am thinking about right now is both how missed Harve74 is, as well as how proud he'd be of the 2022-2023 Pitt Basketball team. I hope they get ACCN and ACCNX in heaven, and he had a front row seat today

Moe-bservations will be later; maybe tomorrow. But I'll clear up one important item: the whiskey list was too generic for my taste @ the sports bar, so I forced down a Church Music Hazy IPA instead ... cheers!!

@DT_PITT - excellent recap as always. You must have an eidetic mind to recall all of the great (and not so great) moments of 42 yrs of Pitt Basketball. Amazing!

All I am thinking about right now is both how missed Harve74 is, as well as how proud he'd be of the 2022-2023 Pitt Basketball team. I hope they get ACCN and ACCNX in heaven, and he had a front row seat today

Moe-bservations will be later; maybe tomorrow. But I'll clear up one important item: the whiskey list was too generic for my taste @ the sports bar, so I forced down a Church Music Hazy IPA instead ... cheers!!

Yesterday, I bought a Delirium Tremens is hopes that I could enjoy a special beverage after this game and my plan fell perfectly into place!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT