ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sushi Tips....I will help yinz out for your next trip to eat Sushi

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
What the hell, can't be any worse than other stuff discussed on the board. Anyways, here's how to max your enjoyment, and more importantly how not to look like a cad when you go out for sushi with your date, or with couples or with business. Just some helpful hints and do's and don't's and personal pet peeves.

Here they are:
1) Do not ever order the "California Roll". Okay? Please don't. That is most amateur move ever. It is like going to a craft beer place and ordering Killians Red. I know, "but I don't like raw fish", well fine, don't be a pussy or at least order something else entirely.
2) Soy sauce. It is good, yes? Wasabi? Interesting right? They are condiments. If it is a really good sushi place, you don't want to mask the taste with these two substances. If it isn't a good sushi place, go order a pizza somewhere else.
3) Do not dip the Nigiri (piece of fish with the rice) rice first in the soy sauce. Put the fish side down. Also, even Mr. Miyagi is going to struggle maneuvering a piece of Nigiri with chopstocks so it is okay to pick up with fingers and lightly dunk into the soy sauce.
4) Don't put that pickled ginger on your sushi. It is meant to be eaten between pieces, not as part of the sushi. You aren't making a Primanti's sandwich out of the thing.
5) Avoid all of these rolls that have some sort of hyped up mayo sauce. You are eating sushi, not tuna salad on rye. I hate mayo (don't care if it is blended with wasabi or siracha or whatever) slathering over these over sized rolls.
6) If the fish is cut too big, it is clumsy and not that pleasant to eat as sashimi or in nigiri. If rolls are too big, they are hard to eat in one bite. Sushi is supposed to be eaten in one bite. So it is not like jumbo chicken wings here, you don't want things that big.
Did I mention no mayo sauces?
7) Don't stab your rolls or fish with the chopsticks. Again, if you struggle, use your fingers.
8) Go to the best sushi places you can get (meaning freshest fish). Here, quality and you get what you pay for definitely count.
9) If someone has ordered the Omakase for the table (and is paying) thank them and buy them the best shot of Japanese whiskey because you will be in for a treat.

There, than me later.

What the hell, can't be any worse than other stuff discussed on the board. Anyways, here's how to max your enjoyment, and more importantly how not to look like a cad when you go out for sushi with your date, or with couples or with business. Just some helpful hints and do's and don't's and personal pet peeves.

Here they are:
1) Do not ever order the "California Roll". Okay? Please don't. That is most amateur move ever. It is like going to a craft beer place and ordering Killians Red. I know, "but I don't like raw fish", well fine, don't be a pussy or at least order something else entirely.
2) Soy sauce. It is good, yes? Wasabi? Interesting right? They are condiments. If it is a really good sushi place, you don't want to mask the taste with these two substances. If it isn't a good sushi place, go order a pizza somewhere else.
3) Do not dip the Nigiri (piece of fish with the rice) rice first in the soy sauce. Put the fish side down. Also, even Mr. Miyagi is going to struggle maneuvering a piece of Nigiri with chopstocks so it is okay to pick up with fingers and lightly dunk into the soy sauce.
4) Don't put that pickled ginger on your sushi. It is meant to be eaten between pieces, not as part of the sushi. You aren't making a Primanti's sandwich out of the thing.
5) Avoid all of these rolls that have some sort of hyped up mayo sauce. You are eating sushi, not tuna salad on rye. I hate mayo (don't care if it is blended with wasabi or siracha or whatever) slathering over these over sized rolls.
6) If the fish is cut too big, it is clumsy and not that pleasant to eat as sashimi or in nigiri. If rolls are too big, they are hard to eat in one bite. Sushi is supposed to be eaten in one bite. So it is not like jumbo chicken wings here, you don't want things that big.
7) Don't stab your rolls or fish with the chopsticks. Again, if you struggle, use your fingers.
8) Go to the best sushi places you can get (meaning freshest fish). Here, quality and you get what you pay for definitely count.
9) If someone has ordered the Omakase for the table (and is paying) thank them and buy them the best shot of Japanese whiskey because you will be in for a treat.

There, than me later.
or just go to Schitty Sushi right next door to Schitty Wok located in Historic Shittipatown..

Reactions: LVNVPanther
I tried it once, wasn’t a much of a fan. It wasn’t even interesting enough to make me want to try it again. Love seafood, but sushi just doesn’t push any buttons for me.

I got the boat when I ordered....I figured try everything right? Good move or bad move?

Agree on california roll, I think that’s a lame choice.

Sushi Bar by night bait shop by day!
Never eat anything that you can use for bait!!!!!!!!!!!
bubbas_bait_shop_sushi_bar_tile_coaster.jpg

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
L

Here they are:

There, than me later.
Love me some sushi. What are your recommendations around here?

Here's the Japanese Amerjack of Pittsburgh. The Sushi special fresh from the Allegheny River. Mummm Mummm!
catfish.jpg

Last edited:
I think the best local spots are the aformentioned Umi in Shadyside, Tokyo Bistro in Mt. Lebanon, Chaya in Squirrel Hill and Umami in Lawrenceburg. Also Penn Ave Fish Market in the Strip District. Very good.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
How do you avoid the parasites on the raw flesh? Do you ever watch "monsters inside me"?

Here they are:

There, than me later.
I have to disagree on the sauces!

Note to you Sushi -ers:
Mrs Buffett and I go to the NJ beach 3 days a week summer and winter.

In addition to beaching it we surf fish with a club. Most of the fishing is done at night, dusk or early mornings.

At night some people shark fish. Sharks are protected in NJ so you can fish for them but they must be kept in the water and released which is what the people we know do. An alert to bathers we catch 6 footers 100 ft off shore?

However the restaurants take their trucks to the beach at night and try to get fisherpeople to sell the sharks for cash. I'm sure some do.

I was told they buy a shark, cut it up for scallops, sushi, etc. charge the regular high prices and make alot of money on each shark!

At least when you order a steak you know what you're getting!

Note to you Sushi -ers:
Mrs Buffett and I go to the NJ beach 3 days a week summer and winter.

In addition to beaching it we surf fish with a club. Most of the fishing is done at night, dusk or early mornings.

At night some people shark fish. Sharks are protected in NJ so you can fish for them but they must be kept in the water and released which is what the people we know do. An alert to bathers we catch 6 footers 100 ft off shore?

However the restaurants take their trucks to the beach at night and try to get fisherpeople to sell the sharks for cash. I'm sure some do.

I was told they buy a shark, cut it up for scallops, sushi, etc. charge the regular high prices and make alot of money on each shark!

At least when you order a steak you know what you're getting!

Yeah, certainly have heard of this. THis is why when you go to a tourist area (think Jersey shore, OCMD, Myrtle Beach) they know they have easy prey who think Mrs Paul's Fishsticks is "good fish".

Especially in those All You Can Eat feeding troughs.

Yeah, certainly have heard of this. THis is why when you go to a tourist area (think Jersey shore, OCMD, Myrtle Beach) they know they have easy prey who think Mrs Paul's Fishsticks is "good fish".

Yep they looking for the Long John Silver fast food crowd that wouldn't know good sushi if it hit them in the face?

How do you avoid the parasites on the raw flesh? Do you ever watch "monsters inside me"?

There are several ways to prevent this.

Nemotodes are usually large enough to see, which is one reason sushi is sliced very thin.

Another preventative measure is that although the fish is raw, most is previously frozen, which kills a large portion of anything that could be harmful to humans.

Edit to add: If Nemotodes are present, they are pulled out of the meat, and it's still served.

Last edited:

I will never go to an all you can eat place again. They depress the hell out of me.. You cant leave without feeling like crap, depressed, bloated, tired. hate em, all of them. From seafood place at beach to golden corral. never again.

Note to you Sushi -ers:

An alert to bathers we catch 6 footers 100 ft off shore?

I have seen 4' to 6' sharks in waist deep water. Plenty of times.

That's mostly an urban myth about shark (or ray / skate) meat being used for scallops. I have caught and eaten plenty of varieties of shark, and not once would I consider the texture or taste to be anything like a scallop.

I also used to work in the seafood industry, and have heard that story quite a few times. It simply isn't true on any large scale basis. Now, could a small family restaurant attempt to dupe their customers with shark meat sold as fried scallops? Sure. But I wouldn't think it would take long for anyone to figure it out and they would be ruined. The taste and texture are too far apart to confuse the two.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I will never go to an all you can eat place again. They depress the hell out of me.. You cant leave without feeling like crap, depressed, bloated, tired. hate em, all of them. From seafood place at beach to golden corral. never again.

Yeah. Really the only time is perhaps breakfast, but then again I want fresh eggs not some powdered egg mix. But unless it is like a really good buffet, like a high end one in Vegas...just say NO!!!

Johnny Garneau is rolling over in his grave over that one...

Reactions: JS School
Yeah. Really the only time is perhaps breakfast, but then again I want fresh eggs not some powdered egg mix. But unless it is like a really good buffet, like a high end one in Vegas...just say NO!!!
I recall the Grand Concourse having a steller sunday brunch buffet. I may make an exception on this..

That's mostly an urban myth about shark (or ray / skate) meat being used for scallops. I have caught and eaten plenty of varieties of shark, and not once would I consider the texture or taste to be anything like a scallop.

I also used to work in the seafood industry, and have heard that story quite a few times. It simply isn't true on any large scale basis. Now, could a small family restaurant attempt to dupe their customers with shark meat sold as fried scallops? Sure. But I wouldn't think it would take long for anyone to figure it out and they would be ruined. The taste and texture are too far apart to confuse the two.

I guess the customers who get fooled are the ones who put ketchup, salt, pepper, and steak sause on their Sushi and eat it with a fork and knife??

Mrs Buffett eats every seafood thing imaginable sushi, raw oysters, raw clams, etc. She ate so many oysters once he skin got blotchy what a way to die???

I guess the customers who get fooled are the ones who put ketchup, salt, pepper, and steak sause on their Sushi and eat it with a fork and knife??

Mrs Buffett eats every seafood thing imaginable sushi, raw oysters, raw clams, etc. She ate so many oysters once he skin got blotchy what a way to die???

There's no way someone could order a broiled scallop (or, anything other than fried) and confuse shark meat for it.

Maybe folks who order fried scallops deserve what they get. I never understood why someone would order something as delicious as a scallop and ruin it with breading and fry it.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
There's no way someone could order a broiled scallop (or, anything other than fried) and confuse shark meat for it.

Maybe folks who order fried scallops deserve what they get. I never understood why someone would order something as delicious as a scallop and ruin it with breading and fry it.

Again think of some of the people who populate those buffets.

If you buy scallops from your local fish monger, always pay the extra for "dry" scallops - you can tell just by looking at the raw scallop meat, but they are always noted as "dry". The difference is incredible.

https://www.fishex.com/scallops/wet-vs-dry

Absolutely. Those pretty white scallops they are selling you in a pull of liquid? That is essentially scallops soaked in a chemical to aid their shelf life. Scallops, real "dry" or "dayboat" scallops should be off white to almost pinkish in color.

Trust your local health department’s oversight

I once went to the sushi bar at at Nobu in Las Vegas while my wife was at a conference. With some Yamazaki whiskey and the chef making suggestions, it was one of the great dining experiences of my life.

As much as I love it, however, I would never order it if I had even the slightest doubt about it's freshness and handling. I don't know enough about it to make any suggestions in Pittsburgh.

Is shark sometimes substituted for mahi mahi?

So no soy sauce, but instruction for how to dip in soy sauce? I'm confused.

I am talking about soaking it soy sauce so you can taste nothing but. Of course it is acceptable to dip, why would they put it out there. But to slather it and soak it (and you know exactly what I mean) you can't taste anything else but the soy sauce.

I am talking about soaking it soy sauce so you can taste nothing but. Of course it is acceptable to dip, why would they put it out there. But to slather it and soak it (and you know exactly what I mean) you can't taste anything else but the soy sauce.

Ahh, ok.

OK - I'll bite (pun intended). I've been to Tokyo about 40+ times on business and dined with Japanese hosts on most occasions. They instructed me on how the Japanese eat their Nigiri. Recruits correctly noted that you don't want to overwhelm the fish with soy sauce. What the Japanese do is that they turn the Nigiri on it's side (the fish is always served facing up, rice underneath). Then they pick up the Nigiri from the side and just slightly dip into the soy. The effect is that by turning the Nigiri you reduce the surface area of the rice, which quickly absorbs soy sauce. One more note. Most Japanese don't use Wasabi mixed into their soy sauce. Good Nigiri has a dash of wasabi between the fish and the rice.

Hope this helps.

Cruzer

scallops might be the best thing iv'e ever tasted. I fully admit I don't get out to much but with that said, I could eat scallops every meal, every day and be happy.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Mind blowing fact of the day: sharks have been on planet earth longer than trees.

PS cool thread, I learned something about sushi

scallops might be the best thing iv'e ever tasted. I fully admit I don't get out to much but with that said, I could eat scallops every meal, every day and be happy.

I love scallops, but lobster is my favorite. I don't usually go to chain restaurants, and I know I'll be ridiculed for this, but sometimes I just have to go to Red Lobster to get a whole Maine lobster. Up there you can get them at picnic tables in roadside shacks, but here you usually have to find a nice restaurant. I'll settle for Red Lobster.

Sorry for getting off track, this was just supposed to be about sushi.

I love scallops, but lobster is my favorite. I don't usually go to chain restaurants, and I know I'll be ridiculed for this, but sometimes I just have to go to Red Lobster to get a whole Maine lobster. Up there you can get them at picnic tables in roadside shacks, but here you usually have to find a nice restaurant. I'll settle for Red Lobster.

Sorry for getting off track, this was just supposed to be about sushi.
never apologize for wanting lobster at red lobster. that and those rolls, fuhgetabout it. that was my one birthday wish last year, lobster at red lobster. me and my 2 little ones plan it out. of course news got out, my parents wanted to go, my sis and next thing I know, we are at outback steak house cause they didn't want lobster. still pissed off about it.

next birthday, im turning off my phone.

Admittedly not a sushi fan, but I will go with others and I will order the california roll or other rolls that are made with tempura shrimp or cooked eel. If that's amateur... then oh well. I eat what I like.

I will eat tuna tartar and ceviche dishes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT