ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Television Shows

Ski11585

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2008
i just finished a rewatch of Star Trek: TNG and was feeling somewhat moved by the closing lines. “Five-card stud. Nothing wild. And the sky’s the limit.”

So I have two questions.

1: What show, if any, did you feel the most emotional over it’s ending?

2: Has this reaction to shows concluding changed in the age of streaming TV and binge watching?

Reactions: e-fresh
i just finished a rewatch of Star Trek: TNG and was feeling somewhat moved by the closing lines. “Five-card stud. Nothing wild. And the sky’s the limit.”

So I have two questions.

2: Has this reaction to shows concluding changed in the age of streaming TV and binge watching?
GREAT question.

I immediately thought of "Lost". Even though IMHO it had jumped the shark by stringing it out too long, the last scene with Jack laying on the ground looking at the plane fly overhead was very emotional to me, maybe because I had invested so much time into the show.

I'm sure if I thought about it longer I could come up with better choices, but this is the one that popped in my mind first.

Binge watching has changed everything, for good and bad. It's nice not having to wait 7 days or more for the story continuation, but it also prevents you from properly digesting what you just watched, so sometimes the impact is lessened.

So I have two questions.

Wonder Years

Friday Night Lights

Lost with the ending as pittgirl stated along with "it's not penny's boat" was very emotional.

Walt at the end of breaking bad.

So I have two questions.

Wonder Years
MTM
Bob Newhart show
Howdy Doody show

Reactions: Chaos
A great show or sitcom ends with you wanting more. Like an athlete who retires before his decline. I’d like to say cheers ended on an emotional high but those Rebecca years really dragged even though I liked how it ended.

Great call on wonder years. Entourage was a show I think they could have kept for another year.

I was too young to like mash and now that I like it, I found the last episode a tad cheesy.

Great question though.

I was a Lost addict. The first 3 or so seasons were fantastic. Then it went real bad. That last season had mw pissed. It was a decent final episode though, considering what a snow job the last couple of seasons were.

I was also sad when Miami Vice ended. That was a good episode. Again, that show kinda floundered its last couple seasons.

It also was tough to say good-bye when Cheers ended.

Reactions: Chaos
I dunno. Many shows that were long running shows, essentially ran their course and really needed to end. Thinking of MASH, the Office, Seinfeld to name a few. Soprano's maybe, because it left a void.

I dunno. Many shows that were long running shows, essentially ran their course and really needed to end. Thinking of MASH, the Office, Seinfeld to name a few. Soprano's maybe, because it left a void.
As a fan of the 80’s style family sitcoms, I can’t think of many at all that didn’t run its course. Main problem is these kids all grow up and become awkward looking. Once a show introduces a new little kid, to know it’s only a matter of time.

From Oscar on Brady bunch, little red head girl on growing pains, the son on family ties, I think even the Cosby show introduced a new little girl once Rudy was no longer the cute little kid anymore. Full house brought in new little twins when the girls grew up. All ended quickly after.

Last edited:
Two shows I liked that kind of just disappeared was “the shield” and “my so called life.” The second one was kind of a chick show but for some reason I liked it. Both just got cancelled I think.

Reactions: KittPitt
Boardwalk Empire had an excellent final episode. The whole series was great. They definitely could have squeezed 2-3 more seasons out.

Two shows I liked that kind of just disappeared was “the shield” and “my so called life.” The second one was kind of a chick show but for some reason I liked it. Both just got cancelled I think.

The Shield ran its course and concluded with a hot mess, as you probably can imagine. No spoilers but I don't know where you can watch it at.

Cheers had a pretty cool final episode.
The second Newhart show's final episode was well done but I didn't really watch that show.

I think the problem with shows that are on now is that they milk it a little too long. The Walking Dead seems to be in danger of doing that.

Reactions: paulbl99
The Shield ran its course and concluded with a hot mess, as you probably can imagine. No spoilers but I don't know where you can watch it at.
there is a new one, well kind of new, 2 seasons, that I really like. Animal Kingdom it's called, pretty cool show. I have a thing for Ellen Barkin, please PLEASE don't ask me why but even that aside, it's a good show.

Great call on "six feet under" btw, that was a great ending, good show too.

So I have two questions.

F-Troop
Yes

Reactions: paulbl99
I think any show that has or is centered around kids obviously has a shelf life. Any series where you continually have to bring in tertiary characters and focus on them have likely run its course. Any series where say 40-50% of the original cast is gone has run its course. Any series based on a limeline event has a shelf life.

The second Newhart show's final episode was well done but I didn't really watch that show.

I think the problem with shows that are on now is that they milk it a little too long. The Walking Dead seems to be in danger of doing that.

Walking Dead goes in waves. Its getting good again now after a year or more of sucking. I do think are going to have to consider wrapping the series within a few years given where viewership has gone. Or they could diverge from the book and start killing off some of the higher paid cast members.

Reactions: pittdan77
Walking Dead goes in waves. Its getting good again now after a year or more of sucking. I do think are going to have to consider wrapping the series within a few years given where viewership has gone. Or they could diverge from the book and start killing off some of the higher paid cast members.

They diverged from the comic years ago.

I don't watch, but read TWD has a new showrunner this year and they are somewhat "rebooting" to try and replicate the success of the first 4-5 seasons. Viewership has steadily declined the last few years.

I have the feeling The Walking Dead will end like The Sopranos... UNRESOLVED. Rick is basically TWD's "patient 0", it all starts and ends with Rick, like Tony on The Sopranos. I picture TWD ending with Rick getting eaten by the walkers and ... fade to black... OVER, without resolving all the open plot lines.

I don't watch, but read TWD has a new showrunner this year and they are somewhat "rebooting" to try and replicate the success of the first 4-5 seasons. Viewership has steadily declined the last few years.

There are fantastic storylines that are still available but we'll see. There's plenty of room to build on what they have if they're willing to be creative.

As a fan of the 80’s style family sitcoms, I can’t think of many at all that didn’t run its course. Main problem is these kids all grow up and become awkward looking. Once a show introduces a new little kid, to know it’s only a matter of time.

From Oscar on Brady bunch, little red head girl on growing pains, the son on family ties, I think even the Cosby show introduced a new little girl once Rudy was no longer the cute little kid anymore. Full house brought in new little twins when the girls grew up. All ended quickly after.
Swervin...I thought better of you .

seinfeld did not need to end it was at the peak of it's popularity and everybody wanted more, i think that is largely why it is still so popular today because it went out on top

the sopranos finale pissed me off, the whole thing was just a giant tease and they gave way too much time to his son only for the pay off to be him becoming the director of some shitty B movie

seinfeld did not need to end it was at the peak of it's popularity and everybody wanted more, i think that is largely why it is still so popular today because it went out on top

the sopranos finale pissed me off, the whole thing was just a giant tease and they gave way too much time to his son only for the pay off to be him becoming the director of some shitty B movie

I bemoaned the end of one of the greatest shows of all time, Piper's Pit.

Some of the previously mentioned were great, but one that sticks in my mind was '24'. Loved that show, never missed an episode. Was sad to see it end.

Gilligans Island
The Munsters
Mr Ed
My Three Sons

Just kidding obviously.

I am going with The Last Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT