ADVERTISEMENT

OT the movie: Master and Commander

I'm with you...I love that movie.
originally- two books by the same author-combined to make up the movie. the acting was seamless. screenplay was on point. think of the logistics needed to shoot the scenes on the water. when you pull the movie apart the movie makes for a classic. i was a" light" in my cinema appreciation class. brilliant instructor .

toured thay ship in san San Diego that they used.

very cool but tiny

i believe a lot of it filmed in a large water tank that as you looked across it to the ocean looked like it was all ocean near Ensenada, Mex...

Being an ex sailor all be it subs. The movie never gets old. The seaman ship of the Captain must have been incredible to find the wind and move to a t formation.
One of my all time favorites. Fantastic acting and the way the story comes together is very rare these days from Hollywood. If I remember at the time it got excellent reviews but no word of mouth.

Reactions: Panther Holla
One of my all time favorites. Fantastic acting and the way the story comes together is very rare these days from Hollywood. If I remember at the time it got excellent reviews but no word of mouth.
This is true. Audiences just didn't gravitate to it. It was initially planned as two or three film series with all of the important parties attached to said deal.

This is true. Audiences just didn't gravitate to it. It was initially planned as two or three film series with all of the important parties attached to said deal.
Really? That's a shame. I would have loved a sequel.

Without looking it up and I could be wrong, I also think it was released during the summer which really hurt the box office. Not just a summer type kind of movie.

(Edit: Ok I was wrong. It was released the first weekend of November but only amassed $98M box office, clearly not enough to warrant a sequel.)

Reactions: bwh05
The attention to detail and design is actually overwhelming. It overwhelmed me. And, for all time, I'm hard pressed to think of a better looking seafaring flick. And, I watch WAY too many movies. Like an overwhelming number. It's my passion more so than anything other than Pitt football and basketball.

Not to mention killer cast all in their prime or just before their prime.

Really? That's a shame. I would have loved a sequel.

Without looking it up and I could be wrong, I also think it was released during the summer which really hurt the box office. Not just a summer type kind of movie.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander:_The_Far_Side_of_the_World

See Possible Sequel within.

I think it came at a time when Lord of the Rings completely peaked with Return of the King. Not to mention, Harry Potter entrancing everyone.

People loved epics but I guess just not kind then. It's unfortunate.

The attention to detail and design is actually overwhelming. It overwhelmed me. And, for all time, I'm hard pressed to think of a better looking seafaring flick. And, I watch WAY too many movies. Like an overwhelming number. It's my passion more so than anything other than Pitt football and basketball.

Not to mention killer cast all in their prime or just before their prime.
It was also before Russell Crowe started taking less care of his body and appearance. Obviously never svelte, he became very doughy.

It was also before Russell Crowe started taking less care of his body and appearance. Obviously never svelte, he became very doughy.
Ha! Very true. Still my favorite Crowe was when he was at his doughy peak... When he put on weight for The Insider. That's when he was still morphing into roles though. '99 I think?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander:_The_Far_Side_of_the_World

See Possible Sequel within.

I think it came at a time when Lord of the Rings completely peaked with Return of the King. Not to mention, Harry Potter entrancing everyone.

People loved epics but I guess just not kind then. It's unfortunate.
Digressing but also really enjoyed State of Play. I find myself tuning in if I see it on the guide regardless if it's already halfway through. It wasn't the greatest movie, but loved the "yinzer" references.

Digressing but also really enjoyed State of Play. I find myself tuning in if I see it on the guide regardless if it's already halfway through. It wasn't the greatest movie, but loved the "yinzer" references.
On a tangent note there was a wonderful movie with Crowe and Ryan Gosling. My daughter made me watch La La Land which I really enjoyed.

Master and Commander has become my new Shawshank Redemption. I literally watch it every time it’s on, and it’s in heavy rotation right now so I see it 3 times a week & never get sick of it. Of course as a history buff it’s right in my wheelhouse, but it’s such a great period piece what such strong acting and story.

Crowe and Gossling are hilarious in The Nice Guys, another Crowe movie that didn’t do well but is great.

I love that movie. Made me put going to the Galapagos Islands on my bucket list. Unfortunately, it’s still there.

I don’t remember ever seeing a bad Russell Crowe movie. L.A. Confidential, which I guess was his American debut, made me a fan and I just haven’t seen a bad one.

Being an ex sailor all be it subs. The movie never gets old. The seaman ship of the Captain must have been incredible to find the wind and move to a t formation.

cf9427a2606db0257a83d2c7e222c7c51773ab4b986d19f037bec2da4b16d93c.jpg

Reactions: TFBaum
I love that movie. Made me put going to the Galapagos Islands on my bucket list. Unfortunately, it’s still there.

I don’t remember ever seeing a bad Russell Crowe movie. L.A. Confidential, which I guess was his American debut, made me a fan and I just haven’t seen a bad one.
L.A.Confidential is a superb movie, beginning to end. Never gets old.

Reactions: TFBaum
Capt. Jack Aubrey : Do you want to see a guillotine in Piccadilly?
Crew : No!
Capt. Jack Aubrey : Want to call that raggedy-ass Napoleon your king?
Crew : No!
Capt. Jack Aubrey : You want your children to sing the "La Marseillaise?"
Crew : NO!

I had no idea that a sequel was possible. I hope they make it someday.

Just fyi "A Good Year" was on last night. I gave it another shot. Honestly NOT a good movie at all.

Shocking because it's a Ridley Scott film. Hit and miss. Crowe is not an actor suitable for a light comedy.

Oh, there are bad Russell Crowe movies. He generally never mails it in himself. Both movies he made here aren't great, especially the most recent one.

I had no idea that a sequel was possible. I hope they make it someday.
Lotta Diehards hope so too. Crowe dangles it out there often. Peter Weir isn't getting any younger though. He's the most important ingredient.

Reactions: bwh05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT