ADVERTISEMENT

OT - The O - Say it Ain’t So

I also remember introducing my wife, who was my girlfriend then, to putting hot sauce on fries and going over the student union lawn to eat them in 1978. I am going to miss this place as we visit Oakland

Reactions: W1np1tt
My dad took me to The O for the first time when I was a kid. It was before a game that started a little later when they would bring in temporary lights for the stadium. I ate so many French fries.

Last summer I took my daughter for the first time. We sat upstairs and she was beside herself with all of the fries. I really wanted to show her what the city and campus was really like. Got her some t-shirts and took some pictures at the Panther across from the Cathedral. Pretty sure Pitt is in her future.

The food wasn’t really that good but the memories were amazing.

Worst pizza ever....smelt and tasted like garbage.

I never saw the attraction of that place. Seemed more of a Pittsburgh attraction, rather than Pitt

You must be a newbie because The O had a menu full of good selections. And they were creative and innovative...the fries and who can forget “The Nine Pack”. Establishments like The O define college campuses - to celebrate its loss is short sighted.

The $2.99 pizza was no joke. I remember being a little sour when it went to $3.49

For lunch or dinner, u could split that a couple ways and and get off real cheap. At 2:00 AM we always got our OWN pizza each.

Underrated and not talked about as much were the burgers. Bangin

Reactions: 303vND
Just heard on The Fan that The O has closed for good. Is this true? If so, what a shame. First Peters and now The O.
As much as I feel I may be getting older. First, Peter's Pub and now the "O".. The history of Pitt and Oakland . It was a great era.

Reactions: 303vND
It had gotten more expensive and was poorly run the last couple years unfortunately. I loved the place and it definitely was an institution. I went there the first time in 1982, but with how poorly it was run nowadays I was way more upset that Uncle Sams closed than the O.

How about the cheesesteaks! With or without mushrooms!

I remember living in tower C walking a short distance buying cheesesteak and Rolling Rock “pony bottles”! All gone now! Sad day!

one of the best days of my life was bringing my daughter to Pitt for a college visit and seeing the joy on her face after she took her first bite of chili dog! Loved the O

I started going there when they had no fries section. Hotdogs were 25 cents. I took my son there in 1969. He is upset when I sent him this notice of closure. When he comes to town, we always go to the “O”. I had my birthday party there last July with my son and grandson.

The wife and I sat on the wall across the street eating hot dogs with everything from the "O" right before PITT's last game at PITT stadium. Sloppy but "O" so good.

I'm gonna miss the fries and the chicken "O" club. I was always impressed with the "O"s efficiency. First time I was in there every line was 3-4 deep, I thought to myself I'm gonna be in here for an hour...nope got my food in 5-10 minutes if that.

BTW - who owns the "o" building? can pitt get it for cheap at this point? could think of plenty of good uses.

Worst pizza ever....smelt and tasted like garbage.

I never saw the attraction of that place. Seemed more of a Pittsburgh attraction, rather than Pitt
I never saw the attraction of that place...that's what happens when you use pizza in a french fry joint as your yardstick to the attraction...

The O has been milking its rep for far too long. Yes, everyone who went to Pitt got to experience the mountain of greasy fries and cheap pizza, but really the establishment should have tried harder. Did they ever replace those floors?

The O has been milking its rep for far too long. Yes, everyone who went to Pitt got to experience the mountain of greasy fries and cheap pizza, but really the establishment should have tried harder. Did they ever replace those floors?

in what ways? Fries were still best thing this side of Thrashers. Underrated hoagies. Great hot dogs. Yeah, their ketchup policy was always kind of stupid but what would you suggest?

BTW - who owns the "o" building? can pitt get it for cheap at this point? could think of plenty of good uses.

M & D Partners LP owns it. I believe Kelly Reality manages it and I don't know the relationship between the two. Robert Gustine owns the Hemingway's property and space behind it to 5th Ave. The American Legion Schenley owns the former Zelda's (current Five Guys) property.

Last edited:
M & D Partners LP owns it. I believe Kelly Reality manages it and I don't know the relationship between the two. Robert Gustine owns the Hemingway's property and space behind it to 5th Ave. The American Legion Schenley owns the former Zelda's (current Five Guys) property.

i'd think pitt could put a decent sized high rise apartment in that space. not quite enough for an on-campus stadium but could help. hemingway's could keep the ground floor as their restaurant.

i'd think pitt could put a decent sized high rise apartment in that space. not quite enough for an on-campus stadium but could help. hemingway's could keep the ground floor as their restaurant.

3 owners for a fraction of a block. This highlights the problem with acquiring land in Oakland. Why would any of them be willingly sell to Pitt? The location is a gold mine to rent out to commercial business and Pitt is currently taking huge financial losses and postponing existing construction plans so it is not in a position to overpay or get into a bidding war. Pitt couldn't even, or was unwilling to, outbid Walnut Capital for the PAA when it Pitt was at the historical apex of its fiscal health.

Reactions: pitt90seven
All the negative “nellies” I mean the place was on food network and had great reputation for the hot dogs! I’m biased for the dogs if I want pizza it’s not the place to go! Also the cheesesteaks were good! I

if your trashing the O you probably belong in Ped State!
All Universities have traditional restaurants and hang out spots. No longer does Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT