ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the pirates lost a paying customer tonight

Well dynamic pricing is borderline illegal at times, by the way, according to the law dynamic pricing of water is not against the law, only if you charge more based on race, religion, gender or nationality. For example, my wife works for American Airlines in finance. They have a dynamic price structure where they will increase the price of flights based on if you return to the site to look up the same flight for the same day (they figure you really want to go) so she gets angry at me if I look again from the same account (I assume the other airlines do this also).

It is price gouging, but usually it is only enforced for the opposite, like someone floods the market with very low cost product and you cant sell your product at a reasonable and standard price (dumping).
Not what we’re arguing

Yeah, imagine travelling (car, bus, foot, or whatever) and getting to the game and then not going in because of $30.

Nutting is pariah. A greedy SOB that only cares about one thing... his wallet. He'll squeeze every last nickel he can out of that franchise. Why would anyone expect anything less?

Don't get me wrong, it's his business and he can run it however he wants. However, I think it's been pretty clear he's a POS of owner and terrible for the Pirates and the city.
And yet; the brain dead yinzers continue to line his wallet with their $$$$.
P.T. Barnum was right.

Should Pitt start selling tickets at the gate for $1 when the games get 35k?

No. Because then people would wait til the last second to buy tickets.

Get with the times dude

It always amazes me that people basically think that any organization, the Pirates, Pitt, the Yankees, the Cowboys, and of them, would, or maybe I should say "should", rather sell 40,000 tickets for $10 than 30,000 tickets for $40.

I'll will guarantee that the Pirates made more money last night from ticket sales selling them the way that they did rather than offering a bunch of crappy seats for $10 and maybe selling 100 more tickets. In fact it wasn't even close. If people can't understand why sports teams owners are trying to maximize their profits in 2023 I can only imagine you've been living under a rock for the last several decades.

Reactions: pghsonj1325
Well dynamic pricing is borderline illegal at times, by the way, according to the law dynamic pricing of water is not against the law, only if you charge more based on race, religion, gender or nationality. For example, my wife works for American Airlines in finance. They have a dynamic price structure where they will increase the price of flights based on if you return to the site to look up the same flight for the same day (they figure you really want to go) so she gets angry at me if I look again from the same account (I assume the other airlines do this also).

It is price gouging, but usually it is only enforced for the opposite, like someone floods the market with very low cost product and you cant sell your product at a reasonable and standard price (dumping).
Have you noticed any of the toll lanes on highways that use that same dynamic pricing model based on traffic? In fact, our nation's capital has had it for 15 years or more.

Your airline analogy is not correct. Price isn't altered based on your account. Price is altered by the amount of interest being generated by all parties looking for those particular flights. They can't charge you more, and somebody else less.

Your airline analogy is not correct. Price isn't altered based on your account. Price is altered by the amount of interest being generated by all parties looking for those particular flights. They can't charge you more, and somebody else less.
That's not necessarily true. There have been multiple studies about whether airlines and other ticketing services use cookies to determine price for airfare with no conclusive outcome. If his wife's anecdote is true then they do in fact charge a different rate to different people at the exact same moment for the exact same flight.

There are a lot of nuances to dynamic pricing. Goes well beyond demand but I do think it is driving some of the inflation we're seeing. Ever get stuck waiting for something you ordered and it misses the delivery date? Someone probably offered more for it. That concept isn't new but it's a big contributor to some of the "shortages" we're seeing.

That's not necessarily true. There have been multiple studies about whether airlines and other ticketing services use cookies to determine price for airfare with no conclusive outcome. If his wife's anecdote is true then they do in fact charge a different rate to different people at the exact same moment for the exact same flight.
It's not necessarily driven by cookies but just having that particular flight get multiple views in a short period of time will drive the price up. Source doesn't matter.

Internet myth.

I can tell you from my own experience as someone who travels a lot (work & pleasure), and is borderline obsessive on getting deals. The best way to get a good deal on a flight is to continuously monitor pricing. Probably something the airlines don't want you to do.

Btw tickets today are like 28 dollars after fees. I can get tickets to see the Yankees at yankee stadium tonight for around 23 dollars.

That’s absolutely absurd

They had 23 and 20 k. I guess it’s better to not sale 15 and 18k tickets

Once again, from their perspective it is obviously better to have 23,000 people who pay $25 than to have 30,000 people like you who paid $10.

The fact that you don't understand that doesn't mean that it isn't true.

And of course the difference isn't really between 23,000 and 30,000. The difference is between 23,000 and 23,100.

Update tonight. Cheapest ticket with fees are 32 dollars. This is more expensive than every other home game tonight other than Fenway park.

This includes 15 dollar tickets to see the first place rangers, 15 dollars to the angels to see ohtani pitch, 15 dollars to see the orioles play the first place reds.

Tryed to go to the game tonight and pick up tickets at the gate. We usually do the family plan where you get a ticket for 22 dollars with 12. dollars of loaded value.

Well tonight they said they were “sold out” of those. I talked to a supervisor, and he gave me a bs spiel about dynamic pricing.

Cheapest ticket at the window are 37 dollars without loaded value. I’m not poor, but I can’t justify spending that much plus food at a single baseball game.

When I looked at the regular options online, multiple sections are closed, and there are 1000’s of tickets available. Attendance tonight will be 15k probably half cubs fans.

I’ve been a borderline shill for the organization. That price for a ticket though is unjustifiable especially given there will be 20k empty seats.

Since PNC park opened I had gone to about 20 games a year. No more, I’m done with these a*****
These corporate thieves. Kenny that is not right. You should get in for free. Especially with your family, they should never have any hardship ever. It's disgusting!!

Once again, from their perspective it is obviously better to have 23,000 people who pay $25 than to have 30,000 people like you who paid $10.

And of course the difference isn't really between 23,000 and 30,000. The difference is between 23,000 and 23,100.
It's why we're seeing all the new stadiums built with fewer general seats and more premium seating. Fewer people paying a huge price makes a lot more money.

?

Not sure what you don’t get? They don’t even open 10 sections. 301-305 and like 330-335 are closed.

?

Not sure what you don’t get? They don’t even open 10 sections. 301-305 and like 330-335 are closed.

I don't get how someone can be so economically illiterate.

Maybe it will help if I put it like this. The Pirates sold approximately 10,000 extra tickets to the game that started your bitchfest. Let's say they all sold for $25 each. They didn't but let's pretend. If instead of selling those tickets for $25, how many tickets would they have had to have sold at $10 a piece to make the same amount of money?

Since math is hard, let me help you. They would have had to have sold 25,000 extra tickets instead of just 10,000 extra tickets. Do you really think that there are 15,000 people out there like you who think that $25 for a ticket to a major league baseball game is just a bridge too far but that who would have gone to that game on that night had the tickets only been $10? In reality, a better question would be not if they sold an extra 15,000 tickets, it's if they would have sold an extra 150 tickets.

They made literally hundreds of thousands of extra dollars doing it the way that they did rather than the way that you wanted them to. Is it really any surprise that a business didn't turn down all that extra money like you wanted them to? Would you have?

I don't get how someone can be so economically illiterate.

Maybe it will help if I put it like this. The Pirates sold approximately 10,000 extra tickets to the game that started your bitchfest. Let's say they all sold for $25 each. They didn't but let's pretend. If instead of selling those tickets for $25, how many tickets would they have had to have sold at $10 a piece to make the same amount of money?

Since math is hard, let me help you. They would have had to have sold 25,000 extra tickets instead of just 10,000 extra tickets. Do you really think that there are 15,000 people out there like you who think that $25 for a ticket to a major league baseball game is just a bridge too far but that who would have gone to that game on that night had the tickets only been $10? In reality, a better question would be not if they sold an extra 15,000 tickets, it's if they would have sold an extra 150 tickets.

They made literally hundreds of thousands of extra dollars doing it the way that they did rather than the way that you wanted them to. Is it really any surprise that a business didn't turn down all that extra money like you wanted them to? Would you have?
I remember why I had you blocked. You’re one of the most condescending and arrogant jagoffs I’ve encountered.

Btw, you aren’t taking at all into account concession revenue. If you sale an extra 2k tickets by opening the closed sections for 15 dollars a ticket and those people spend on average 20 dollars in concessions, why don’t you do the math there buddy.

Last edited:
Update tonight. Cheapest ticket with fees are 32 dollars. This is more expensive than every other home game tonight other than Fenway park.

This includes 15 dollar tickets to see the first place rangers, 15 dollars to the angels to see ohtani pitch, 15 dollars to see the orioles play the first place reds.

Type in Giant Eagle Pirates tickets on google. You’re welcome.

I have. After fees the 32 dollar ticket tonight was 28.

Either you didn’t read my post or you don’t know how to read the internet.

Just looked, using that code, cheapest tickets before fees is $13 for outfield seats. So like $18-19 after fees

Either you didn’t read my post or you don’t know how to read the internet.

Just looked, using that code, cheapest tickets before fees is $13 for outfield seats. So like $18-19 after fees
I agree. Capitalism is bad. This sucks. They should just hand out everybody makes the same and we have free tickets. It's not fair. I am glad people like you don't just cave to the system but stand up to it. Your generation is inspiring.

I agree. Capitalism is bad. This sucks. They should just hand out everybody makes the same and we have free tickets. It's not fair. I am glad people like you don't just cave to the system but stand up to it. Your generation is inspiring.
You’re the definition of a boomer

If you are complaining between a $32 ticket and a $25 ticket then you should be staying home to watch the game because clearly you can't afford to go to the game.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
The cheapest ticket available for tonight's game is $23. Fees are an additional $7.50. That's ridiculous.

You’re the definition of a boomer
I am supporting your plight. And you insult me. I think we should all boycott the Pirates! Kenny was wronged! Just tell me when to show up, I will be there. If you need me to bring anything, let me know. Time to it back from "the man".

The cheapest ticket available for tonight's game is $23. Fees are an additional $7.50. That's ridiculous.
Yeah i am not sure what people aren’t understanding on here. When I can click through the App for mlb and get tickets at wrigley field for the same price or Baltimore for ten dollars less, or he’ll the angels again for half that price there is a problem.

I remember why I had you blocked. You’re one of the most condescending and arrogant jagoffs I’ve encountered.

Btw, you aren’t taking at all into account concession revenue. If you sale an extra 2k tickets by opening the closed sections for 15 dollars a ticket and those people spend on average 20 dollars in concessions, why don’t you do the math there buddy.

Believe me, I can understand why someone as "bright" as you could find someone else condescending.

Do you really think that there are 2,000 people a night that aren't going to Pirate games because they would have to pay $25 per ticket rather than $15 per ticket? Because if you do that explains a lot. And not in a good way for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT