ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Stanley water bottle craze

The technology of YETI bottles can be found in the Arctic Cool line found in Walmart for 1/3 the price.

Just like the YETI 5 gallon bucket goes for 40 bucks when the orange home depot bucket is $12.50

With a lid.....

Correct.

No different than all the kids in my class wanting Doc Martens in middle school or making sure you had the right logo on your polo shirt in HS.

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing. Its like kids spending 20 bucks on cool fidget spinners 10 years ago, or buying Z Cavaricci (sp?) jeans in the 80s that sucked. No different than a Kate Spade purse, or any other accessory,

If someone is dumb enough to pay that much for a water bottle, ok... but better than people that are dumb enough to pay a dollar or 2 dollars each for plastic throwaway bottles of water that are the purity of your filtered sink water and in a container that harms yourself with microplastics and the environment (the production of, and landfill of the bottles).

I know my daughter, who is 14, got one, and she is drinking more water now, not drinking water bottles, and really, is better off for it. Could be worse things to throw money away on.

Would you rather use GDP growth, unemployment rates, or stock market growth?
I'm not here to talk about the economy, I'm just laughing at you, looking at literally only the things you see around you to draw a conclusion about everyone and everything. The economy may or may not be fantastic, your anecdote is in no way an indicator of that.

Yes, if you want to talk politics on a college football message board where political talk is prohibited, any of those things would be better evidence.

The hydroflask has been a fad in vegas/cali for a while. Be sure to add cool stickers.

Last edited:
Seriously, I was thinking the same thing. Its like kids spending 20 bucks on cool fidget spinners 10 years ago, or buying Z Cavaricci (sp?) jeans in the 80s that sucked. No different than a Kate Spade purse, or any other accessory,

If someone is dumb enough to pay that much for a water bottle, ok... but better than people that are dumb enough to pay a dollar or 2 dollars each for plastic throwaway bottles of water that are the purity of your filtered sink water and in a container that harms yourself with microplastics and the environment (the production of, and landfill of the bottles).

I know my daughter, who is 14, got one, and she is drinking more water now, not drinking water bottles, and really, is better off for it. Could be worse things to throw money away on.

Again, you are comparing toys, clothes, and accessories with a water bottle. A water bottle is NOT an accessory but is being used as such. It would be like if some viral pencil came out and everyone had to carry it in their hand everywhere they go to show they have it.

Again, you are comparing toys, clothes, and accessories with a water bottle. A water bottle is NOT an accessory but is being used as such. It would be like if some viral pencil came out and everyone had to carry it in their hand everywhere they go to show they have it.
Have you never looked at the fountain pen market?

Man. SMF taking L after L in this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: CJsE and Fk_Pitt

I think it's hilarious that he's this bent out of shape over a water bottle.

I'm guessing he missed the entire American Girl doll craze and $50 outfits for a doll.

Kids dont carry around Mont Blancs to be cool. If they did, I would say it would be similar. Also, whatever happened to Zebra Pen? Remember they sponsored our glorious CBI rub?

I think it's hilarious that he's this bent out of shape over a water bottle.

I'm guessing he missed the entire American Girl doll craze and $50 outfits for a doll.

My daughter has them. And they are a toy. Not an accessory. Kids dont carry around American Girl dolls from class to class

Spinners would like a word

giphy.gif
Hold my beer...

FINGERTRAP.jpg

I have a Stanley coffee maker and portable dish set for when the fam goes camping. Big fan.

A water bottle isnt an accessory. Thats kinda the point. You shouldn't be needing a water bottle to be cool. Its a water bottle
What kind of water bottle do you have? And how old were you when you started carrying one? At some point in our lives it became an accessory.

Reactions: Ski11585
What kind of water bottle do you have? And how old were you when you started carrying one? At some point in our lives it became an accessory.

I've never bought a water bottle for myself. We had water fountains in HS and college. In HS, the bball team gave us those Gatorade ones. When I got a house, I got one of those futuristic fridges that dispense water. I do not carry around a water bottle as an accessory. When did this start? People when leaving the house grab their wallet, keys, cell, and now water bottle. It needs to stop

What a rip-off. This one is only $3000. Water bottles becoming the new luxury accessories dampens my hope for humanity. But my God what a country we live in where people can afford stupid shit like this.

It doesn't do anything the one I bought at Sheetz for 14.00 doesn't do.

Apparently sport drinks are trendy too. South Park parodies it.

Apparently sport drinks are trendy too. South Park parodies it.

I guess you can say that Prime is for boys what Stanley cups are for girls. Big differences though in that Prime is a legitimate flavored sports drink that has its own flavor. It does taste different than other sports drinks. Kids like it. A Stanley cup holds water the same way any other water bottle does and girls have it as an accessory. I wouldn’t say boys carry around Prime as an accesory.

I've never bought a water bottle for myself. We had water fountains in HS and college. In HS, the bball team gave us those Gatorade ones. When I got a house, I got one of those futuristic fridges that dispense water. I do not carry around a water bottle as an accessory. When did this start? People when leaving the house grab their wallet, keys, cell, and now water bottle. It needs to stop
When did Coke and Pepsi start selling cases of water? And why was there a market for it? What brought this all on? I drank a half pint of milk during the school day and that was it. All day.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
When did Coke and Pepsi start selling cases of water? And why was there a market for it? What brought this all on? I drank a half pint of milk during the school day and that was it. All day.

Again, it tells you how great of a country we live in that we profit off of water. The water market in the US is lucrative.

Yeah I don’t get it either. Although I was cool dad because I got some Stanley insulated vacuum seal bottle literally like 10 years ago, and it’s sat in the back of the cupboard. told the kids and they didn’t believe me. Showed them, and now both daughters fight over who can take it to school.

the kids school did ban any metal bottles without these rubber band things around them. The school is kind of industrial so has polished concrete floors in the halls, and these really tall ceilings with exposed brick walls etc which looks great but not great for muffling sound. I guess the teachers were going crazy with all the metal bottles being dropped and clanging incessantly.

Dude you're nuts. You take a position, often an absurd or extreme one, and refuse to give even the slightest ground on it or acknowledge the validity of a counterpoint no matter what. Like a dog with a bone.

if you had simply made your point with your OP, which is one I don't even disagree with (as a dad of two teenage daughters who now have 4 of these F'in things between them), all would be fine. But instead you have escalated the discussion to some absurd take that a water bottle is somehow not a trendy fashion accessory, but a pair of Uggs or a certain watch is.

Again, I have two teenage daughters. You apparently do not. Because if you did, you'd realize that everything they wear or carry on their person is a carefully chosen fashion accessory. Every girl in my daughter's middle school carries one of these Stanley sippers every day. They all have the same everything. Pajama pants on under the school uniform skirt, North Face backpack, high top Nike sneakers, Stanley sip straw water mug, etc. etc. God help the girls who don't have all that stuff. My daughters are both soccer players and won't wear any type of soccer shoes other than Nike. They all wear colored pre-wrap as head bands for games and eye black even on a cloudy fall day. It is all driven by social media influencers, and these trends explode now in a way that wasn't possible in my youth. Is it absurd over-consumption? Absolutely, in the tradion of our country. But is it crazy that a certain type of exepensive water bottle becomes a fashion statement? Hell no, this has been the way it works in this country forever.

Reactions: CJsE and Ski11585
$40 for a water bottle. Moms racing through Target to get new releases. HS and middle school girls needing to have one to be cool. I hope aliens arent watching us. Also, perhaps they should just use the "Stanley metric" to judge the economy. When people are shelling out $40 a water bottle and spending $100 on resale markets, the economy must be doing well. This whole thing is weird AF
important to wait them out....I just got a super cool Starter jacket at Walmart...

Last edited:
Dude you're nuts. You take a position, often an absurd or extreme one, and refuse to give even the slightest ground on it or acknowledge the validity of a counterpoint no matter what. Like a dog with a bone.

if you had simply made your point with your OP, which is one I don't even disagree with (as a dad of two teenage daughters who now have 4 of these F'in things between them), all would be fine. But instead you have escalated the discussion to some absurd take that a water bottle is somehow not a trendy fashion accessory, but a pair of Uggs or a certain watch is.

Again, I have two teenage daughters. You apparently do not. Because if you did, you'd realize that everything they wear or carry on their person is a carefully chosen fashion accessory. Every girl in my daughter's middle school carries one of these Stanley sippers every day. They all have the same everything. Pajama pants on under the school uniform skirt, North Face backpack, high top Nike sneakers, Stanley sip straw water mug, etc. etc. God help the girls who don't have all that stuff. My daughters are both soccer players and won't wear any type of soccer shoes other than Nike. They all wear colored pre-wrap as head bands for games and eye black even on a cloudy fall day. It is all driven by social media influencers, and these trends explode now in a way that wasn't possible in my youth. Is it absurd over-consumption? Absolutely, in the tradion of our country. But is it crazy that a certain type of exepensive water bottle becomes a fashion statement? Hell no, this has been the way it works in this country forever.

My point is that a water bottle is NOT a fashion accessory but it is being treated as one. You dont wear a water bottle like Uggs or a watch. The fact that a water bottle is a fashion accessory is a sign we are doomed....and also that the economy is absolutely sizzling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT