ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Stanley water bottle craze

$40 for a water bottle. Moms racing through Target to get new releases. HS and middle school girls needing to have one to be cool. I hope aliens arent watching us. Also, perhaps they should just use the "Stanley metric" to judge the economy. When people are shelling out $40 a water bottle and spending $100 on resale markets, the economy must be doing well. This whole thing is weird AF
What's funny about those is I got one that looks exactly like those like a year ago before it was a thing, but non brand $7.99 at Walmart. Also, it's hilarious, I was in Jamaica recently and every young female is walking around with one everywhere they go,

You understand that what that means is the Dow is now right around where it was two years ago, right?

Yep. 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

These are the good ole days. You get a $100 water bottle. You get a $100 water bottle. You get a $100 water bottle. NIL money free-flowing. Ah the roaring 20s. Hopefully the 2030s dont bring what the 1930s did.

A water bottle isnt an accessory. Thats kinda the point. You shouldn't be needing a water bottle to be cool. Its a water bottle
My granddaughters in Charlotte won’t go anywhere without their water bottles.
I’m not aware of the new fad, but water bottles have been important to them forever.

Weren’t Nalgene water bottles a thing for a while? This meant new. More importantly, why do I continue to engage with SMFs stupid troll thread?

Reactions: PittED2001
My granddaughters in Charlotte won’t go anywhere without their water bottles.
I’m not aware of the new fad, but water bottles have been important to them forever.
Not sure if it started with sports but I remember the first time I saw a HS football team at practice and everyone had their own water bottle. I think it's more of a sanitary thing than anything else. Also reduces waste since you don't have a bunch of plastic to throw away. Since Covid, it's just become normal for them to have their own water bottle at school.

I will also add, again taking this thread more seriously than I should…

At least one of the major universities in my city phased out plastic water bottles from vending machines and food vendors over a decade ago. So having a good trusty reusable water bottle is essential.

$40 for a water bottle. Moms racing through Target to get new releases. HS and middle school girls needing to have one to be cool. I hope aliens arent watching us. Also, perhaps they should just use the "Stanley metric" to judge the economy. When people are shelling out $40 a water bottle and spending $100 on resale markets, the economy must be doing well. This whole thing is weird AF
You must never heard of the pet rock ?

Yep. 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

You understand that that means that if you take inflation into account, that if you were invested in a Dow index fund that you'd actually have less "real" money (about 10% less) today than you would have two years ago, right?

On second thought, don't answer. Because it's clear that you don't actually understand that.

You understand that that means that if you take inflation into account, that if you were invested in a Dow index fund that you'd actually have less "real" money (about 10% less) today than you would have two years ago, right?

On second thought, don't answer. Because it's clear that you don't actually understand that.

What you dont understand is that the economy was roaring since a few months after Covid started, helped initially by free money the government sent out but then it caught up to us and inflation kicked out but. The necessary interest rate hikes to curtail spending helped eliminate further inflation but also hurt the stock market. However, now with inflation in the rear-view mirror and the recession that everyone was pricing in, not happening, the economy and stock market is back to its sizzing self. These are the good ole days.

What you dont understand is that the economy was roaring since a few months after Covid started, helped initially by free money the government sent out but then it caught up to us and inflation kicked out but. The necessary interest rate hikes to curtail spending helped eliminate further inflation but also hurt the stock market. However, now with inflation in the rear-view mirror and the recession that everyone was pricing in, not happening, the economy and stock market is back to its sizzing self. These are the good ole days.

What I don't understand is how someone can be so sure that they are so right about something that they clearly don't know anything about at all.

What exactly was I wrong about in my last post?
tenor.gif

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
What exactly was I wrong about in my last post?

It was completely, utterly off topic. It doesn't make any difference WHY your money is worth less today than it was two years ago, it only matters THAT your money is worth less.

If you had $1000 in an index fund two years ago you'd have (approximately) $1000 in that fund today. But over the last two years inflation ate away at approximately 10% of your value, so your $1000 that you have today is only worth what $900 would have bought you two years ago.

It is hilarious that right after a post that you demonstrate that you have no idea how inflation affects the value of money that you claim that other people don't understand basic economics.

A good water bottle is worth paying for.

I have a 40 oz HydroFlask with a chug cap. Cost around $40. Love it. I take it everywhere I go. Well worth the price. And it basically paid for itself over several months because I don't drink bottled water any longer. I used to go through around a chase and a half of water a week. So in 3 months I'd spend around $50.

So, no, $40 isn't an unwise investment in a bottle if you use it.
My wife likes to use a straw, so for Christmas I bought her a Brumate Era 40 Oz tumbler. It has a really cool feature. The straw stays in the bottle and you turn the top to close the straw. No leaks and you don't have to remove the straw. Really clever idea. I looked at the Stanley, but for her use this was much more functional.

Reactions: NKSplitter
My wife likes to use a straw, so for Christmas I bought her a Brumate Era 40 Oz tumbler. It has a really cool feature. The straw stays in the bottle and you turn the top to close the straw. No leaks and you don't have to remove the straw. Really clever idea. I looked at the Stanley, but for her use this was much more functional.
I'm not a big straw guy. I'm too lazy to clean them. The chug caps are perfect. I can easily handwash it. Plus I only put water in it. I'm not sure how people are able to keep theirs clean. Or maybe they don't. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT