ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Tournament on ACC Network

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I know some of you were probably suicidal after our loss, but on the ACC Network following our game was the first two episodes of "The Tournament", that is a documentary on the ACC Tourney. It was pretty interesting.

Some highlights/thoughts:
1) The ACC actually broke off of the Southern Conference, NC State, UNC, Duke, South Carolina, Maryland, Clemson and Wake. Virginia joined later that year, when the ACC wanted an even 8 teams. UVa was selected over WVU and VT.

2) NC State Coach Everett Case who was from Indiana brought the "tourney" concept to the ACC. It was modeled after the Indiana HS state hoop tourney. The ACC was the first who did this, and the first to give their automatic bid to the NCAA to the winner of the tourney and not the regular season. As this was the case, Case would have his teams more built for a tournament than a long regular season run.

3) The amount and quality of highlights was amazing from that time. I have to admit. But it was startling and shocking to actually see guys firing in two handed set shots. And also shooting FT's underhanded. And it was amazing, some of the two handed set shots were in from 20-22 feet. It looked like guys could really shoot then. Probably not working on dunks.

4) I didn't realize Dick Groat never played in the ACC. He graduated Duke in 1952 and the ACC started in 1953.

5) NC State was the original dominant team. They won the first 3 ACC tourneys as they were led by Everett Case. Case was the guy who started the "cutting down the nets" thing after tourney wins.

6) The landscape changed when UNC hired Frank McGuire. McGuire was a New Yorker and started a pipeline of players from NYC to Chapel Hill. In 1957, UNC led by a NYC Jewish kid, Lenny Rosenbluth went undefeated and won the NCAA title over Kansas and their Center named Wilt Chamberlain. Rosenbluth won player of the year honors over Chamberlain.

7) There were many Jewish kids from NYC then coming into the ACC, Art Heyman at Duke would be another. The show didn't really touch about any ethnic slurs and hardships faced by those guys in then segregated North Carolina. Maybe they will in later episodes. This was only the first two episodes.

8) No African Americans yet to enter the league. As a matter of fact, won't for another 10 years. It was 1967 before Charlie Scott played for ACC.

Anyways, it is worth the watch.

I was going to watch. Then I remembered I got a book about the Big East Conference for Christmas. I decided to start reading that instead.

Reactions: Parkview57
I haven't listed to Packer and Durham and they are pretty much ACC shills, are they or others discussing this?

They talk about the league being down a little bit but just refer to it being cyclical. Its much more than that though. Out of 15 teams, the ACC only has 4 programs with good enough coaches

Wake
UVa
VT
Duke (Coach K has made it idiot-proof)

All the good coaches are in the SEC, B10, B12, and BE.

I was going to watch. Then I remembered I got a book about the Big East Conference for Christmas. I decided to start reading that instead.
I actually thought of watching this, then I thought about how there's no way it would make me happy and bring back good memories, like ESPN 30 for 30, "Requiem for The Big East" did. I was a Big East fan from the beginning, even the years before Pitt joined.

Reactions: cabe23
Art heyman. Who was a classic gunner played on the pgh piper team with Connie Hawkins. Saw them many times that magical year in the aba

Oh one other thing I forgot to add. On Frank McGuire's UNC staff that had a coach that a was fall down drunk. (think Shooter in Hoosiers). They tried to send him to rehab and get him clean, and he just couldn't do it. So they had an opening a and someone suggested an assistant at Air Force named Dean Smith. And voila, DeanDome came to UNC in 1958.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I actually thought of watching this, then I thought about how there's no way it would make me happy and bring back good memories, like ESPN 30 for 30, "Requiem for The Big East" did. I was a Big East fan from the beginning, even the years before Pitt joined.
I suggest watching it. The ACC tourney history goes back over 25 years before the birth of the BE. I found the first two episodes to be very good.

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT