ADVERTISEMENT

OT: THIS is what leadership looks like

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
If you’re out of the loop, Westinghouse got hosed in the state championship game today on a holding penalty in the fourth quarter. Their head coach was asked about it afterwards and, instead of lashing out on the officials, he said this:

THIS is the type of leadership that we need in high school athletics. This mentality will teach them how to persevere through life challenges in the future. Hats of to Westinghouse on a great season.

I watched more of that HS game today than maybe any HS game in 10+ years. Interesting game to watch. City Boys vs Country Boys. Good game. I thought Westinghouse was better but gotta credit SC. Didnt really do anything in the middle 55 minutes of the game but did what they had to on their 1st and last drives.

My takeaway from SC is that they are big and jacked. Sorta reminds me of all those white roided up PSU WWE LBs. You dont see kids HS kids looking like that.

Super impressed with The House though. Not sure they had any D1 talent though their WR made as good of a diving catch as you'll see in HS. Dont know much about their coach other than he played at IUP but what he has done there cannot be overlooked. I have seen some interviews with him and he seems like the real deal in coaching and mentoring those kids. Just getting 40-50 kids to come out and stick on that team at a 2A is something. I hate to be the guy who says HS Coach XYZ should be a college coach but if Duzz hired him as some position coach, I'd like it. Would be an impressive dude in a living room.

Coach handled it well and he has put together a very good program at Westinghouse. I went to the state semis last year to watch them against Steel Valley and came away impressed. However, Westinghouse didn't get hosed. The officials made the correct call.

My dad played FB for Pete D'Imperio at The House in the 50s. Pretty sure they never lost a game. He always used to talk about The House's practice field...gravel, railroad ballast, etc. A lot of skin and blood left out there.

I watched more of that HS game today than maybe any HS game in 10+ years. Interesting game to watch. City Boys vs Country Boys. Good game. I thought Westinghouse was better but gotta credit SC. Didnt really do anything in the middle 55 minutes of the game but did what they had to on their 1st and last drives.

My takeaway from SC is that they are big and jacked. Sorta reminds me of all those white roided up PSU WWE LBs. You dont see kids HS kids looking like that.

Super impressed with The House though. Not sure they had any D1 talent though their WR made as good of a diving catch as you'll see in HS. Dont know much about their coach other than he played at IUP but what he has done there cannot be overlooked. I have seen some interviews with him and he seems like the real deal in coaching and mentoring those kids. Just getting 40-50 kids to come out and stick on that team at a 2A is something. I hate to be the guy who says HS Coach XYZ should be a college coach but if Duzz hired him as some position coach, I'd like it. Would be an impressive dude in a living room.
Westinghouse has a sophomore safety/WR who has like 20 P5 offers

If you’re out of the loop, Westinghouse got hosed in the state championship game today on a holding penalty in the fourth quarter. Their head coach was asked about it afterwards and, instead of lashing out on the officials, he said this:

THIS is the type of leadership that we need in high school athletics. This mentality will teach them how to persevere through life challenges in the future. Hats of to Westinghouse on a great season.
Andy Reid should watch this.

Coach handled it well and he has put together a very good program at Westinghouse. I went to the state semis last year to watch them against Steel Valley and came away impressed. However, Westinghouse didn't get hosed. The officials made the correct call.

It was the correct call but unfortunate because the hold didnt really slow the WR down and the QB didnt look his way anyway so he probably wasnt going to throw him the ball. Also, the odds of a HS QB completing a 4th and 18 pass has to be around 5% or so didnt need to hold there. I understand you dont want to get beat deep but make the HS kids make the plays. They probably wont.

Westinghouse has a great thing going. Green has kids in that area devoted to football. There's athletes there but the problem has been coaching and commitment. As long as he is there, Westinghouse is going to be really good.

Reactions: Burgh15
Not sure I'd say they got hosed. It was a pretty clear hold from the replays I saw. I mean, it was like 4th and 14 or something along those lines and they had guys playing up in press coverage. Someone got beat of the line and grabbed the slot receiver. Official isn't going to sit on that one.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT