The Wild Wild West
MASH
Cheers
The original Bob Newhart
Hills Street Blues
St Elsewhere
Family Guy

I get I am aging myself but I don’t really watch network tv anymore

My understanding is that it was based upon Pittsburgh’s Hill District.
Yes. They never mentioned the city but it was assumed to be Pittsburgh. The producer, Steven Bochco went to school at what was then Carnegie Tech.

All in the Family. How many other shows open with the two stars singing the theme song?

Is that what you meant?

1. The Lone Ranger
2. Rawhide
3. All In the family
4. Greatest American Hero
5. Friends

Others not mentioned:

Buck Rodgers (TV show 80s)
Fame
Growing Pains
Family Ties
Dukes of Hazzard (show now erased due to PC)
Charlie's Angels (Original TV show 70s)
CHiPs
Love Boat

And I could add many more good ones

Edit: posted at same time above poster added Rockford Files

Definitely the original Hawaii 50 the theme song is great. Comedy wise Cheers was funny

Yes. They never mentioned the city but it was assumed to be Pittsburgh. The producer, Steven Bochco went to school at what was then Carnegie Tech.

Actually, although Bochco went to CMU and one of the head writers is from Pittsburgh (and a HS classmate of mine), the name of the show comes from Hill Street in Los Angeles, and the show is loosely based on that area, which runs from a heavily Hispanic area in the north, through downtown LA and then down into the predominantly black South Central LA area.

The Wild Wild West
MASH
Cheers
The original Bob Newhart
Hills Street Blues
St Elsewhere
Family Guy

I get I am aging myself but I don’t really watch network tv anymore
Been watching Cheers on my phone in bed most nights just to have a last burst of something light before I fall asleep the last few months. I remember really liking it as a kid in HS, but rewatching it is so incredibly well written and acted even by todays standards.

Reactions: TFBaum
Been watching Cheers on my phone in bed most nights just to have a last burst of something light before I fall asleep the last few months. I remember really liking it as a kid in HS, but rewatching it is so incredibly well written and acted even by todays standards.
Cheers is definitely one of the top 5 sitcoms in history along with All in the Family, Barney Miller, Mash and Seinfeld.I usually watch one or two episodes of the wire followed up with a Seinfeld before lights out for the same reason.

Actually, although Bochco went to CMU and one of the head writers is from Pittsburgh (and a HS classmate of mine), the name of the show comes from Hill Street in Los Angeles, and the show is loosely based on that area, which runs from a heavily Hispanic area in the north, through downtown LA and then down into the predominantly black South Central LA area.
HMM, I just assumed it was based on the Pittsburgh Hill district because of Bochco.

HMM, I just assumed it was based on the Pittsburgh Hill district because of Bochco.
Here's what Wiki has to say, FWIW.

"Although filmed in Los Angeles (both on location and at CBS Studio Center in Studio City), the series is set in a generic unnamed inner-city location with a feel of a U.S. urban center in the Midwest or Northeast. Bochco reportedly intended this fictional city to be a hybrid of Chicago, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh.[4]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Street_Blues

Cheers is definitely one of the top 5 sitcoms in history along with All in the Family, Barney Miller, Mash and Seinfeld.I usually watch one or two episodes of the wire followed up with a Seinfeld before lights out for the same reason.
That is a really solid top 5.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Cincinnati WKRP
Hill Street Blues
Greatest American Hero
Charles in Charge - I wanted a girlfriend that looked like Nicole Eggert.
Rockford Files

Here's what Wiki has to say, FWIW.

"Although filmed in Los Angeles (both on location and at CBS Studio Center in Studio City), the series is set in a generic unnamed inner-city location with a feel of a U.S. urban center in the Midwest or Northeast. Bochco reportedly intended this fictional city to be a hybrid of Chicago, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh.[4]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Street_Blues

Most people don't realize that Gilligan's Island was based on an ill fated trip to Brunot's Island during a bad thunderstorm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT