ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Unique Christmas Gift Idea for a Golfer

Getting one of these would make me the
envy of my golfing buddies. 😀

nonsense, it's part of golf, taking a leak off the tee box along the woods line. not only is it ok, it's expected. no need to change this rite of passage, it's as part of golf as sneaking a 6 pack or two in your bag onto the course..

i did buy a pair of those blue glasses that find balls on the course. i know i know, it's a gimmick, another stupid scam that is advertised on facebook and im like 0-8 on these dumb facebook gimmicks but i fell for it. should get them this week so i'll let you know if they work. i cant tell you how annoyed i get when i hit a decent shot only to not be able to find it..

on a similar note, i've heard for years that soccer fans in some of these central/south american countries actually tie a tube around their leg, under their pants so when they have to take a leak at a game, in these ancient stadiums, they just go right there. one end is tied to their business end, the other end down by their ankles.

not sure if it's true though..

It's all fine and dandy till a gust of wind blows the towel up in the air.

The best part of that was where the commercial says “ No awkward moments of peeing in the rough.”

Yo - Peeing into an open golf club with a towel in front is as awkward as it gets. Anybody that uses this on the golf course should be tarred and feathered on the spot.

When I first saw it I laughed of course thinking
it was a joke. It's no joke, you can actually buy it
on Amazon. The crazy thing is, Amazon has it
advertised as "new" or "used." You gotta be
kidding....used??!!

nonsense, it's part of golf, taking a leak off the tee box along the woods line. not only is it ok, it's expected. no need to change this rite of passage, it's as part of golf as sneaking a 6 pack or two in your bag onto the course..

i did buy a pair of those blue glasses that find balls on the course. i know i know, it's a gimmick, another stupid scam that is advertised on facebook and im like 0-8 on these dumb facebook gimmicks but i fell for it. should get them this week so i'll let you know if they work. i cant tell you how annoyed i get when i hit a decent shot only to not be able to find it..

There’s no bigger group of suckers than golfers when it comes to buying gimmicks. There’s a commercial now where a guy says he’s shaved 4 strokes off of his handicap because he changed to the shoe being advertised.

Reactions: vietvet1 and TFBaum
There’s no bigger group of suckers than golfers when it comes to buying gimmicks. There’s a commercial now where a guy says he’s shaved 4 strokes off of his handicap because he changed to the shoe being advertised.
i bought blue sunglasses that help you find your golf ball easier. havent gotten em yet but supposedly they are dark and when you put them on, everything is dark but the white ball lol. Im fully admitting up front before i even see them, i got scammed..

I tried the Uro Club and didn't really like it. It's too messy.

But I do love my Dookie Duffle Bag, though my playing partners don't seem to like it when I leave it in cart basket.

i bought blue sunglasses that help you find your golf ball easier. havent gotten em yet but supposedly they are dark and when you put them on, everything is dark but the white ball lol. Im fully admitting up front before i even see them, i got scammed..

Wow. Sunglasses that are...dark. I bet they help protect your eyes too. What a novel concept haha.
JHC

I think I’m
Getting myself a fitting for Christmas
My set is 12 years old and my swing has changed a lot (hopefully improved )
They probably need adjusted

If it’s been that long and you’re getting better you should. The newer equipment is so much better and having the just the correct shafts can make a difference. For someone who shoots 120 it probably doesn’t matter that much. But if your games improving and you’re into it that’s worthwhile.

For irons If they recommend a different shaft you’d be better off getting new clubs (you may be doing this anyway). Having someone change shafts and getting new grips isn’t cheap. Just get a new set built to your specs.

Wow. Sunglasses that are...dark. I bet they help protect your eyes too. What a novel concept haha.
they arent to wear outside or for fashion, specifically designed to illuminate golf balls. there are no other practical purpose for these. they are so dark, you cant wear em to the beach or the pool. it's like the predator vision, everything is same color except for the golfball

If it’s been that long and you’re getting better you should. The newer equipment is so much better and having the just the correct shafts can make a difference. For someone who shoots 120 it probably doesn’t matter that much. But if your games improving and you’re into it that’s worthwhile.

For irons If they recommend a different shaft you’d be better off getting new clubs (you may be doing this anyway). Having someone change shafts and getting new grips isn’t cheap. Just get a new set built to your specs.
I’m a duffer but I enjoy playing

My x-18s are good enough- but may check out club champion while it’s discounted

they arent to wear outside or for fashion, specifically designed to illuminate golf balls. there are no other practical purpose for these. they are so dark, you cant wear em to the beach or the pool. it's like the predator vision, everything is same color except for the golfball

My God then it’s better than I imagined. You carry these glasses then put them on for the sole purpose of finding a lost golf ball? This is one of the best ever.

My God then it’s better than I imagined. You carry these glasses then put them on for the sole purpose of finding a lost golf ball? This is one of the best ever.
Lol. Yes. Geez, when you put it that way, I feel even sillier. if it saves me one golf ball after a nice tee shot, it will have been worth it.

actually it wont, it will have to save me like 8-9 nice tee shots where i cant find the ball. then i'l be at break even..

king and Souf, im in same boat. my ping irons are 15+ plus old and i really need an upgrade. i took off 7 years but started playing again last year and actually have been doing better, a tad bit of consistency with my irons and scoring (still a disaster chipping and putting but i cant blame that on equipment).. i need to figure out game plan on irons outside of going to a Dicks and dropping 1200 for a set i dont like..

need to do some research here. My older bro plays and gets new irons frequently and he tells me all the time what a set of new irons can do..

king and Souf, im in same boat. my ping irons are 15+ plus old and i really need an upgrade. i took off 7 years but started playing again last year and actually have been doing better, a tad bit of consistency with my irons and scoring (still a disaster chipping and putting but i cant blame that on equipment).. i need to figure out game plan on irons outside of going to a Dicks and dropping 1200 for a set i dont like..

need to do some research here. My older bro plays and gets new irons frequently and he tells me all the time what a set of new irons can do..

Older pings are still decent in terms of forgiveness. Typically this time of year would be good to look for older models being discounted. There’s only so much technology so for the iron heads anything in the last 2-3 years is good. Like I said above having the correct shaft helps. Without going full golf nerd it can even be more than just the correct flex. It would probably be harder though getting custom built older models. It’s whatever is on the shelf or on line inventory. Callaway pre owned runs some fantastic deals. And I’ve read stories where they say something is like new and comes with the plastic still on. So condition is generally better than listed. And if you’re not happy with them they accept returns.

Edit - another tip. If you do go to a store and hit clubs be aware that newer clubs have stronger lofts. And the reason I tell you this is because they can use a sales trick. They may tell you that you hit the new 7 iron longer than what you have currently. What they may not tell you is the loft of the new 7 iron is much closer if not equal to the loft of your current 6 iron. So make sure you compare apples to apples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Older pings are still decent in terms of forgiveness. Typically this time of year would be good to look for older models being discounted. There’s only so much technology so for the iron heads anything in the last 2-3 years is good. Like I said above having the correct shaft helps. Without going full golf nerd it can even be more than just the correct flex. It would probably be harder though getting custom built older models. It’s whatever is on the shelf or on line inventory. Callaway pre owned runs some fantastic deals. And I’ve read stories where they say something is like new and comes with the plastic still on. So condition is generally better than listed. And if you’re not happy with them they accept returns.

Edit - another tip. If you do go to a store and hit clubs be aware that newer clubs have stronger lofts. And the reason I tell you this is because they can use a sales trick. They may tell you that you hit the new 7 iron longer than what you have currently. What they may not tell you is the loft of the new 7 iron is much closer if not equal to the loft of your current 6 iron. So make sure you compare apples to apples.
Yeah half my desire for a fitting is to see my needs and wait for a discount price version

I bought a ping g400 lst driver last year - which tend to crush -
2 months ago had my bag too close at the range and hit my bag with a wedge.
Long story short was driving well next time out snd my brother asks if I got a new driver since it sounded different -
Finally realized the head was dented snd cracked slightly on the bottom -
Performed just fine - so I’ll roll with it until the head breaks

Last edited:

If I am not mistaken, that commercial features Nick Faldo. First time I saw it I was dissapointed that a guy with Faldo's pedigree woul lower himself to hock something as stupid as golf shoes to shave strokes.

My idea doesn’t supposes a present for a golfer especially. I believe that all the gifts should transmit a certain message. Very often on holidays I buy for my closest ones some personalized gifts that increases their emotional health a lot and I see that the smile on their face is real. Maybe you will think it is too simple, but I consider that it is a truly unique Christmas gift.

Last edited:
Yeah half my desire for a fitting is to see my needs and wait for a discount price version

I bought a ping g400 lst driver last year - which tend to crush -
2 months ago had my bag too close at the range and hit my bag with a wedge.
Long story short was driving well next time out snd my brother asks if I got a new driver since it sounded different -
Finally realized the head was dented snd cracked slightly on the bottom -
Performed just fine - so I’ll roll with it until the head breaks
Follow up-
Got fitted into mizuno hot metal pro irons
The club champion fitting process was really great and informative -
Their custom build is more expensive for sure - by about $40 per club . $70 per if you get the shafts pured.

Since I bought a full bag fitting - I did the putter fitting process - even though I like my putter (odyssey white hot 7)

It was completely eye opening -
Was suggested a 30 degree toe hang similar square putter with an inch taller shaft. I literally made 10 putts in a row . Putter prices there was comparable to anywhere else $245

Trying a bunch of wedges to find the right bounce and and grind was really helpful.
Only ended up with 1- vokey Sm8 56 degree 12 bounce d grind - since I could change face angle to cover from 85 yards to 30 yards easily

Fatigue definitely took away the driver and long game fitting at the end - so will reschedule those .

3 and a half hours of swings -even with a Gatorade and breaks had my form breaking down

Last edited:
Follow up-
Got fitted into mizuno hot metal pro irons
The club champion fitting process was really great and informative -
Their custom build is more expensive for sure - by about $40 per club . $70 per if you get the shafts pured.

Since I bought a full bag fitting - I did the putter fitting process - even though I like my putter (odyssey white hot 7)

It was completely eye opening -
Was suggested a 30 degree toe hang similar square putter with an inch taller shaft. I literally made 10 putts in a row . Putter prices there was comparable to anywhere else $245

Trying a bunch of wedges to find the right bounce and and grind was really helpful.
Only ended up with 1- vokey Sm8 56 degree 12 bounce d grind - since I could change face angle to cover from 85 yards to 30 yards easily

Fatigue definitely took away the driver and long game fitting at the end - so will reschedule those .

3 and a half hours of swings -even with a Gatorade and breaks had my form breaking down

For that kind of scratch it better be good/comprehensive.

And yea that could be tiring. Good idea to rest and reload and go back.

Now I need a follow up on those sunglasses.

Can vouch for the Calloway pre owned. I've had good success buying singles like a wedge and various drivers / hybrids.

Hey Zelda, quit hitting your ball all over the place and you won't need those special glasses!!!

For that kind of scratch it better be good/comprehensive.

And yea that could be tiring. Good idea to rest and reload and go back.

Now I need a follow up on those sunglasses.
The fitting fee was $350 so not bad
Half off with $500+ of purchase
The putter and wedge purchase covered that

I went back and forth whether to just order my clubs to the specs myself and save the cash
Since I paid about $500 for my current irons 12 years ago-
For the piece of mind and considering I’ll likely play these for the next 15 years - splurged .

The fitting fee was $350 so not bad
Half off with $500+ of purchase
The putter and wedge purchase covered that

I went back and forth whether to just order my clubs to the specs myself and save the cash
Since I paid about $500 for my current irons 12 years ago-
For the piece of mind and considering I’ll likely play these for the next 15 years - splurged .
Final follow up
My swing was shit at follow up at club champion
But went to test pxg clubs a few weeks later after working on my swing
Got the proto x driver and a 22 hybrid .
Went back today after testing some fairways woods at stores. I really like the cobra fairway woods -
But after testing pxg again - order their 5 wood to finish my bag .

I hit the 5 wood- turned down to 17better andwith more carry than 3 wood .

Do like how adjustable the pxg woods are -so they are future proof as my swing hopefully improves.

was nice to validate on trackman my swing changes have made my swing path neutral and I’m actually hitting up on the driver now .
Readjusted the driver weight config as a result

wasn’t swinging my best today have good spacing now at the top of my bag - even though my swing speed was down almost 10 mph today . Usually over 105 for woods
Too much range time the last few days

OTR clubs are notorious for quality issues.. if you are serious about golf, even if not, have any clubs checked for loft and lie..
My neighbor was a Titleist sponsored player, no longer on tour now.. His last set of Irons were all jacked up.. 4 different lie angles, 7/8 iron had exact same loft.. You would think a tour player would receive the correct specs
You pull a 10.5 driver off the rack at Dicks, it can be 9 or 12.5..

OTR clubs are notorious for quality issues.. if you are serious about golf, even if not, have any clubs checked for loft and lie..
My neighbor was a Titleist sponsored player, no longer on tour now.. His last set of Irons were all jacked up.. 4 different lie angles, 7/8 iron had exact same loft.. You would think a tour player would receive the correct specs
You pull a 10.5 driver off the rack at Dicks, it can be 9 or 12.5..

Yea I know the tolerances on drivers are wide so going by what’s printed in the head could be meaningless. Wasn’t aware so much on the irons but makes sense if the driver specs are that off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT