ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US News Medical Schools (Research) Rankings 2022, ACC vs B1G

Nov 11, 2002
US News (Americas Best Graduate Schools)-Medical Schools (Research) Rankings 2022.

ACC vs B1G Medical Schools (Research):

3 Duke University
13 University of Pittsburgh
15 University of Michigan
15 Northwestern University
17 University of Chicago
24 University of North Carolina
27 University of Maryland
31 University of Virginia
33 Ohio State University
33 University of Wisconsin
39 University of Iowa
42 Indiana University
42 University of Minnesota
45 University of Miami
48 Wake Forest University
54 University of Nebraska
55 University of Illinois
66 Rutgers NJ Medical School (Newark)
70 Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson (NB)
75 University of Louisville
83 Virginia Tech
93-123 Florida State University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

The fact that Pitt is ranked higher than Michigan, Northwestern, UChicago and UVa is really impressive. Their can't be too many higher ranked public non Ivy's ahead of Pitt. I would guess Stanford and Duke of course....but not sure who else.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The fact that Pitt is ranked higher than Michigan, Northwestern, UChicago and UVa is really impressive. Their can't be too many higher ranked public non Ivy's ahead of Pitt. I would guess Stanford and Duke of course....but not sure who else.
Pitt is ranked higher than 2 Ivy League Medical Schools.

19 Cornell University
36 Brown University

Two Ivy League Medical Schools close to Pitt.

9 University of Pennsylvania
10 Yale University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Penn State University Medical School is not ranked because they do not fall under US News category of a Research Medical School.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: cease10
Recently heard that they will be making a movie about Jonas Salk and the development of the polio vaccine at the University of Pittsburgh.

Not sure when production starts or its anticipated release.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

The new movie starring Jeremy Irons (as Dr. Jonas Salk) will bring additional national recognition to Dr. Salk and the the university in this era of Covid 19 and vaccine development.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I've said for years 1) Salks lab in the basement of Salk Hall should be restored as close as possible to conditions of when he was there and turned into a public museum. 2) Salk should have a statue outside Salk or Scaife Hall.

19 Cornell University
36 Brown University

10 Yale University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
The company of the top 20: Harvard, NYU, Duke, Columbia, Stanford, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, Washington, Penn, Yale, Mayo, Wash U., PITT, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Michigan, Mount Sinai, Chicago, Cornell, UCSD. That's pretty elite. Pitt can be where UWub is, IMO.

Penn State University Medical School is not ranked because they do not fall under US News category of a Research Medical School.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
They do fall under the Research Med School category. They "refused" to fill out their US News survey, therefore they're unranked. Easier to take an unranking than get clobbered I guess.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
I've said for years 1) Salks lab in the basement of Salk Hall should be restored as close as possible to conditions of when he was there and turned into a public museum. 2) Salk should have a statue outside Salk or Scaife Hall.C
I've said for years 1) Salks lab in the basement of Salk Hall should be restored as close as possible to conditions of when he was there and turned into a public museum. 2) Salk should have a statue outside Salk or Scaife Hall.

CP

That is a great idea.

How can we make that happen?

I assume donations may be required.

I may also have a few connections related to Salk Hall.

How do we connect?

H2P
NGF

CP

That is a great idea.

How can we make that happen?

I assume donations may be required.

I may also have a few connections related to Salk Hall.

How do we connect?

H2P
NGF

First, I think you have to be in the ear of the med, pharmacy, and dental school deans. The lab restoration might be a tough sell, considering you are giving up usable, probably revenue generating space (for the pharmacy or dental school?) for a public display. Space is always at a premium. If there is a modern lab in that space, where do you move it. Still think it may be worth it thinking of all the visitors to the med school and medical campus to show case Pitt's achievements in the Health Sciences...part could be devoted to Salk and another part to other achievements. They may have missed the boat though when they didn't incorporate it into the Salk expansion.

Salk's polio vaccine has been touted as one of the greatest achievements in the history of sciences by many historians. Not just US history of science, the entire history of the world. Could be a legit tourist attraction. Might need UPMC funding to be behind it, and after all, they get to use it as a brag as well.

A statue might be easier to get done. I'd put it right on the corner where the current historic plaque is. Right where there is a lot vehicle and pedestrian traffic across from Scaife and the Pete.

Reactions: pittdan77

Paco

I agree with you.

Just as they have a stature of Thomas E Starzl sitting on a bench near the Cathedral of Learning, they should erect a statue of Dr Salk near near Salk Hall.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

19 Cornell University
36 Brown University

10 Yale University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Actually Pitt is ranked higher than 3 Ivy League Medical Schools.

19 Cornell University
36 Brown University
45 Dartmouth University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

They are at the bottom of the list now but I would expect FSU's med school to make a steady climb over the years. Its only a few decades old and is already one of the more selective in the country. I was raised a Seminole and graduated from Pitt so I'm proud of both institutions!

US News (Americas Best Graduate Schools)-Medical Schools (Research) Rankings 2022.

3 Duke University
17 University of Chicago
33 Ohio State University
39 University of Iowa
42 Indiana University
42 University of Minnesota
45 University of Miami
48 Wake Forest University
54 University of Nebraska
55 University of Illinois
66 Rutgers NJ Medical School (Newark)
70 Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson (NB)
75 University of Louisville
83 Virginia Tech
93-123 Florida State University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
University of Chicago is not in the Big 10.

University of Chicago is not in the Big 10.
Neither is the Univ of Maryland Med School at UM-Baltimore, nor is Nebraska Med in UN-Omaha. Nor is Rutgers-Newark, unless one would consider UPJ to be in the ACC.

Penn State Hershey is because it is administratively under the same university.

Chicago got kicked out of the Big Ten academic consortium a couple years ago too, because you know, the Big Ten is all about academics.

Last edited:
No, Chicago has not been a member of the Big Ten Conference since 1946, nor are they any longer part of their associated academic consortium since 2016.
What happened in 2016 that caused that split? Just curious.

What happened in 2016 that caused that split? Just curious.

Big Ten changed the name from Committee on Institutional Cooperation to the Big Ten Academic Alliance.

Other than that, I don't know. Perhaps Chicago didn't want to pay its annual dues (yes, the schools are all charged annual dues of around a quarter million a year to be part of this...unlike the ACC Academic Consortium which actually uses money from the conference's media earnings and distributes to each school in the form of undergrad stipends/fellowships).

Reactions: USN_Panther

3 Duke University
17 University of Chicago
33 Ohio State University
39 University of Iowa