ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Walnut Capital

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
acquiring more in Oakland area.

http://www.post-gazette.com/busines...-on-Fifth-Ave-in-Oakland/stories/201804090152

A Shadyside developer is gearing up to erect a new office building on Fifth Avenue in Oakland, hoping to capitalize on high demand in a key market close to the major universities and hospitals.

Walnut Capital is spending $2.1 million to buy a building from Allegheny County at 3342 Fifth that formerly housed the program center for female offenders but which now is vacant. County Council will vote on whether to approve the sale at its meeting Tuesday.

Todd Reidbord, Walnut Capital president, said the developer intends to use the site and two adjacent properties on Fifth it already owns to construct an eight- to 10-story office building.

Walnut Capital is considering traditional office space as well as wet lab space for the building, which is located close to the UPMC hospital system, including UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital and UPMC Presbyterian.

Mark Belko
As new apartments are built around Pittsburgh, older stock is feeling the pressure

It’s also across the street from Carlow University and blocks from the University of Pittsburgh campus.

The development hopes to capitalize on the proximity of the hospitals and universities; potential partnerships between the universities, hospitals and corporations; and the high demand for office space in Oakland.

According to the Newmark Knight Frank real estate firm, the vacancy rate for Class A, or the best, office space in the neighborhood is 2.4 percent — the lowest in the Pittsburgh market.

“There’s really no Class A office space vacant,” Mr. Reidbord said. “Every time a building is built, it’s gobbled up right away. We think that trend is going to continue.”

He noted that Walnut Capital also is a “big believer” in the type of innovation district spelled out in a recent Washington, D.C.-based Brookings Institution study that identified Oakland as a place for academic researchers to work closely with entrepreneurs — one that could create an even greater demand for space.

The purchase of the county building marks the developer’s latest foray into the neighborhood.

Walnut Capital is in the process of acquiring the bankrupt Pittsburgh Athletic Association’s iconic clubhouse for $12.6 million with plans to convert much of it to office and retail space.

Mark Belko

It also has reached a deal to buy the Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh headquarters at 234 and 242 McKee Place where it eventually envisions a Bakery Square-like office building that would attract tech companies and others that want to be close to Pitt and Carnegie Mellon University.

However, that plan could take awhile to blossom. As part of the deal, the Jewish Federation has at least three years to find a new place.

In addition, Walnut Capital has started rehabbing a dilapidated former Cadillac dealership at 3224 Boulevard of the Allies, which it is converting into 41,000 square feet of office space over two levels.

It expects to complete the redevelopment, located across the street from UPMC Magee, by the end of the year.

“We think the new growth possibilities are concentrated in the Oakland market,” Mr. Reidbord said.

To make way for the new office building on Fifth, the former program center for female offenders property and the two others owned by Walnut Capital will be demolished.

The developer hopes to start that work early next year. While the county space is vacant, there are still tenants in the other buildings, Mr. Reidbord said. “We’re not going to tear them down until we need to,” he said.

Walnut Capital submitted its plan in response to a county request for development proposals. The county has determined it is no longer in its interest to own the property, according to a summary submitted as part of the proposed sale.

I thought there was no land in Oakland?

Turns out, going rate is ~ $3M per acre. Only getting more expensive.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I thought there was no land in Oakland?

Turns out, going rate is ~ $3M per acre. Only getting more expensive.

Heinz Field sits on 25 acres. So, the price tag for buying up enough buildings in Oakland to demolish would be around $75 million, lower than my estimate of $100 million and something that Pitt could easily afford if it wanted to.

Heinz Field sits on 25 acres. So, the price tag for buying up enough buildings in Oakland to demolish would be around $75 million, lower than my estimate of $100 million and something that Pitt could easily afford if it wanted to.

Keep in mind that Pitt would likely already own at least part of the land needed, so they likely wouldn't need to pay the full 100% of acquisition cost.

We are probably about 5 minutes away from a Paco lambasting.

Pitt won't do it, as we know. They could have at a cheaper rate in the past, and it will only go up in the future. Sad.

Keep in mind that Pitt would likely already own at least part of the land needed, so they likely wouldn't need to pay the full 100% of acquisition cost.

We are probably about 5 minutes away from a Paco lambasting.

Pitt won't do it, as we know. They could have at a cheaper rate in the past, and it will only go up in the future. Sad.

Pitt may never have an on-campus stadium. I just wished in these threads, we can never say the following things because none of them are true:

1. There is no land. There's plenty of land. You just have to buy stuff and knock it down.

2. Pitt can't afford it. Sure they can. They can find the money by lunch time. Its just a matter of valuing spending that kind of money on a project like this. Clearly, they do not see enough value.

3. Parking/traffic. This has nothing to do with any stadium decision.

Pitt will have a stadium in Oakland when they see enough value in having it there. Period.

You conveniently forgot that walnut cap is paying and developing for use 365 /year

If Pitt paid "less than my original estimate" to develop and use 7 days a year.....the whole BOT would be terminated.

And spare me the "auxiliary uses" of a football stadium.

If Pitt is going to plunk down 75 mill they aren't getting anywhere near return on investment with a half filled football stadium on 7 saturdays.

JUST STOP IT

You conveniently forgot that walnut cap is paying and developing for use 365 /year

If Pitt paid "less than my original estimate" to develop and use 7 days a year.....the whole BOT would be terminated.

And spare me the "auxiliary uses" of a football stadium.

If Pitt is going to plunk down 75 mill they aren't getting anywhere near return on investment with a half filled football stadium on 7 saturdays.

JUST STOP IT

No college stadium ever gets a ROI. That's not why they are built. Its better for the bottom line to rent a stadium. Yet, soon Pitt, UCLA, and Miami will be the last 3 renters. There's a reason that places like Temple, USF, South Alabama, and UAB are conducting studies and its not because they think that dropping 9 figures on a stadium is going to be a better ROI.

I have an inground pool in my backyard. I didn't get it for the ROI, to increase my property value. It doesn't do that. It would have been so much cheaper to get a summer pool pass somewhere. But we placed a high value on having one in our background, knowing full well what a terrible "investment" it is. Temple, USF, UAB, and South Alabama are also looking into making bad investments because they place a high intrensic value on playing on campus

Would you prefer the term "space". "Locations"? "Spots"?
Every sq inch in Oakland is space. And it’s going to get more crowded and far less campus-like than it already is.......

And It’s just not ever going to be turned into a FB Field.
You and SMF are off your nut.

The university’s footprint continues to diminish in Oakland. Pittsburgh political figures “pleased”.

Reactions: BFo8
I have an inground pool in my backyard. I didn't get it for the ROI, to increase my property value. It doesn't do that. It would have been so much cheaper to get a summer pool pass somewhere. But we placed a high value on having one in our background, knowing full well what a terrible "investment" it is.

What exactly was there before the pool went in?

What's that??? Vacant.....buildable land????

You still fail to see the ridiculousness of your argument.

Pitt should sell some of their buildings to UPMC or Marriott. Can never have too many if either within a 4 square mile radius in Oakland.

Cathedral of learning would be a great chain hotel..

Last edited:
I understand that.

It is what it is. Pitt is a renter and will eventually have to give up football.
Why bring it up ad infinitum.....

There is no room there is no space; Oakland is turning into an Uber crowded corporate /business / hospital concrete complex bordered by a dump on its Souf side.
The second Pitt starts buying land for a FB Field the SlumLords will have prices skyrocketing ....

Pitt in Oakland looks nothing like a college campus....and that diminishes probably yearly.

There is no room there is no space; Oakland is turning into an Uber crowded corporate /business / hospital concrete complex bordered by a dump on its Souf side.
The second Pitt starts buying land for a FB Field the SlumLords will have prices skyrocketing ....

Pitt in Oakland looks nothing like a college campus....and that diminishes probably yearly.

There are possibilities, but Pitt has not made it a priority. Even Interim AD Juhl pretty much said they could do it, but didn't want to spend the money unless a donor steps forward. So it's very doable.

Pitt needs to come out and emphatically say that they have ZERO interest. Instead of beating around the bush for fear of upsetting people. Crap or get off the pot.

There are possibilities, but Pitt has not made it a priority. Even Interim AD Juhl pretty much said they could do it, but didn't want to spend the money unless a donor steps forward. So it's very doable.

Pitt needs to come out and emphatically say that they have ZERO interest. Instead of beating around the bush for fear of upsetting people. Crap or get off the pot.
Almost anything is doable given time and money.

Pitt can’t even get , from those aholes on Grant St, a 75 yd strip of redundant connection between Fifth and Forbes that would be an incredible benefit to green space and create a beautiful, contiguous addition to the university’s footprint.

You even can dream 30 acres is going to be obtainable to Pitt, and not blocked every step of the way by the City’s crooked pols and equally corrupt SlumLords of Oakland ???

Are you serious?

Last edited:
Based on SMFs plan, we can build the stadium on 25 acres spread all over the Oakland area! That would make a fun new game. Run down 5 blocks to get a first down.

Maybe then Narduzzi's D can keep UNC out of the endzone.

But, seriously, if Pitt wanted to, Pitt could identify a 25 acre area, buy up, raze, and build all within a 5 year timetable with very little trouble. It all comes down to if they want to or not.

For example, not saying this would happen, but if the ACC said "build an on-campus stadium or we are kicking you out," the stadium would be approved by the end of the day. Extra land wouldn’t have all of a sudden become available. Pitt's motivation for building it would have simply changed

Maybe then Narduzzi's D can keep UNC out of the endzone.

But, seriously, if Pitt wanted to, Pitt could identify a 25 acre area, buy up, raze, and build all within a 5 year timetable with very little trouble. It all comes down to if they want to or not.

For example, not saying this would happen, but if the ACC said "build an on-campus stadium or we are kicking you out," the stadium would be approved by the end of the day. Extra land wouldn’t have all of a sudden become available. Pitt's motivation for building it would have simply changed
Would the crooked pols and slumlords also get that same information that day.....ie build it or else?

How many buildings and slum-like apartments are inside 25acres??how many city blocks are inside 25 acres..
How about the slumlord who gets wind that his three buildings are on the 50.....who’s going to take care of that guy?...

“Very little trouble”
That’s laughable.

Pitt can’t build an outdoor track.
Pitt can’t ACQUIRE an intersection right in the heart of its footprint...not one small piece of a Pgh city block...

But 25 acres......snap your fingers.
Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Las Panteras
Pitt: 'We're requesting to buy 25 acres, tax exempt of course.'
Jim Ferlo: 'come again'?

Pitt can buy whatever land they want. They can buy every building in Oakland if they want. There is no city law that prevents a private building owner from selling to the highest bidder even if its a non-profit

Pitt can buy whatever land they want. They can buy every building in Oakland if they want. There is no city law that prevents a private building owner from selling to the highest bidder even if its a non-profit
Can Pitt turn 25 city blocks into whatever it wants...

If you are saying Pitt can buy a slum....yes wif many many LARGE....
But can it turn that slum & city blocks into a FB Field

You’re not thinking straight.
Again

Reactions: Las Panteras
Can Pitt turn 25 city blocks into whatever it wants...

If you are saying Pitt can buy a slum....yes wif many many LARGE....
But can it turn that slum & city blocks into a FB Field

You’re not thinking straight.
Again

If Pitt buys 25 acres, they would obviously need city approval for anything it wants to build and would face pushback and protests if it wanted to build a stadium but eventually it would get built. Pushback and protests are just part of the deal. They can delay things, but they rarely if ever cause a stadium deal to be canceled on land already owned by that franchise.

Pitt has the land for a stadium. It's cleared, flat, and ready to build on. It's called the Peterson Sports Complex. So stop with there is no land for a stadium.

There's no money for a stadium, or willpower to go get it. If someone handed Lyke a check for $500m that could only be used to build a stadium, construction planning would start tomorrow.

Reactions: Jpripper88
If Pitt buys 25 acres, they would obviously need city approval for anything it wants to build and would face pushback and protests if it wanted to build a stadium but eventually it would get built. Pushback and protests are just part of the deal. They can delay things, but they rarely if ever cause a stadium deal to be canceled on land already owned by that franchise.
Pitt can’t ACGUIRE one 1/4 of one City Block Road.
25 acres ....
Lol your analogy to some mythical city and stadium....is a joke.

This is Pgh bro.
It’s Pitt

You are not thinking straight. Period

Look, if Pitt wanted they could acquire the land, or re purpose Pitt land, or a combination of both to make room for a new stadium. This would take time, and planning, and money... and they don't want to do that because renting space at HF is easier. There is a ceiling for the program and they are find with it.

1/2 of the city who are fans of either PSU, WVU or OSU and are fine with this solution because it keeps Pitt at bay. Another 1/4 don't care about college football. Of the 1/4 who went to Pitt, at least a third of them are fine with HF because they don't want to sit in traffic to get to Oakland. Oh the horror.

That's fine, but then the Pitt fans have to understand the ceiling of the program and be ok with it.

Look, if Pitt wanted they could acquire the land, or re purpose Pitt land, or a combination of both to make room for a new stadium. This would take time, and planning, and money... and they don't want to do that because renting space at HF is easier. There is a ceiling for the program and they are find with it.

1/2 of the city who are fans of either PSU, WVU or OSU and are fine with this solution because it keeps Pitt at bay. Another 1/4 don't care about college football. Of the 1/4 who went to Pitt, at least a third of them are fine with HF because they don't want to sit in traffic to get to Oakland. Oh the horror.

That's fine, but then the Pitt fans have to understand the ceiling of the program and be ok with it.
Why can’t Pitt acquire the road on 1/4 of a city block ?

Oakland is turning into an Uber crowded corporate /business / hospital concrete complex bordered by a dump on its Souf side.

How should an urban campus should look? I would say fast-paced bustling world with a mix of cutting edge advancement side-by-side with historic preservation is what many would envision.

Hey, I loved PItt Stadium, but to imply that modern development has not resulted in today's Oakland being light years more attractive of a 'campus' for current and prospective students seems a completely out of touch. I work in Oakland now and lived on campus during the mid-late 90's. The campus during those two periods are not even comparable. The modern version wins by a mile.

Green space, while always far less than desired on urban campuses, has increased and countless run down dumps along the Fifth and Forbes corridor have been replaced by thriving modern academic buildings, businesses, and housing. That's not even to mention the leveling of the Robinson projects with the Petersen complex.
The "shrinking footprint" in Oakland is that of the slumlords and negligent business building owners, which is a great thing for the campus and the student experience... with or without a stadium on it's footprint. Expansion and re-development by Pitt, UPMC, Carlow, commercial business, and high-end housing development has been great for the campus, IMO. It never was, and never was intended to be, a cow pasture campus.

How should an urban campus should look? I would say fast-paced bustling world with a mix of cutting edge advancement side-by-side with historic preservation is what many would envision.

Hey, I loved PItt Stadium, but to imply that modern development has not resulted in today's Oakland being light years more attractive of a 'campus' for current and prospective students seems a completely out of touch. I work in Oakland now and lived on campus during the mid-late 90's. The campus during those two periods are not even comparable. The modern version wins by a mile.

Green space, while always far less than desired on urban campuses, has increased and countless run down dumps along the Fifth and Forbes corridor have been replaced by thriving modern academic buildings, businesses, and housing. That's not even to mention the leveling of the Robinson projects with the Petersen complex.
The "shrinking footprint" in Oakland is that of the slumlords and negligent business building owners, which is a great thing for the campus and the student experience... with or without a stadium on it's footprint. Expansion and re-development by Pitt, UPMC, Carlow, commercial business, and high-end housing development has been great for the campus, IMO. It never was, and never was intended to be, a cow pasture campus.

Absolutely. The differences are significant in the last 20 years, and it is actually feels more like a traditional campus with the creation of Schenley Plaza and other less major landscaping improvements and considerations like along Forbes Quad.

A lot of these new facilities, office spaces, new private student housing, and hotels were desperately needed and long overdue. Private development of these needs is a nation-wide trend, urban and rural campuses alike.

There is not any shrinking footprint. Pitt has only purchased property. It hasn't sold a thing. In fact, last year it bought the Chipotle building on Forbes and it just announced in December that it would purchase the Allegheny Health Department building on Forbes. That said, I still think it made a big mistake in not acquiring Schenley High.

It could be argued that Pitt is a victim of its own success in driving up real estate prices. The growth of the main campus is really up against some very real physical limitations.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT