ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Wampum High School hoops

LeftCoastPanther

Chancellor
Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
I came across this article on a Pittsburgh hoops history Facebook page. Thought maybe some on here would enjoy it.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I came across this article on a Pittsburgh hoops history Facebook page. Thought maybe some on here would enjoy it.

LCP-thx for the link. I wasn't aware of this publication but spent the last hour reading various articles. Very enjoyable!!!

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
I remember those Wampum teams from my high school years in central Pennsylvania. I saw the 1958 state championship game in Hershey where Wampum beat Columbia. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to drive through the village of Wampum. I would like to get into the gym someday to see the trophies and memorabilia.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
A relative of mine knew Dick Allen decently well when he was alive; he used to always say Dick was probably the most underrated athlete ever from Western PA. He also said that those Wampum teams were incredible, maybe not quite as talented as Midland but extremely good.

Wampum is essentially a one gas station town; to have those sort of teams in a place so small, even back when the area was more populated, is hard to fathom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT