ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weather.com

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Anyone use this site? Sometimes when there is a weather disaster unfolding I go to the city that is affected to see the official NWS (National Weather Service) warnings.

I think the most I ever saw at one time was like 14 different warnings.

This AM in Houston, there were 84 warnings!! 8friggin4!!! That is amazing.

May all stay safe.

Reactions: paulbl99
It will be devastating. Houston will flood at the drop of a hat, the bayous are always so backed up. The water will not only get extremely high, it's going to take a really long time to clear out.

-Crater Lake gets up to 900 inches per year. Smurf storm in Texas. And to answer the op, yes I use that site but the radar sites work the best.
Average precipitation at Crater Lake is a little less than 70 inches. What are you talking about?

Average precipitation at Crater Lake is a little less than 70 inches. What are you talking about?
-Snowfall. The park averages 44 feet of snow every year. In other words, your entire house is buried. Every year.

-Snowfall. The park averages 44 feet of snow every year. In other words, your entire house is buried. Every year.

The funny thing is that 44 feet of snow would give you approximately the same amount of precipitation as 50 inches of rain. Of course one crucial difference is that the 44 feet of snow comes over a period of about five months, as opposed to 50 inches of rain in less than five days like Texas is getting.

Reactions: levance2
The funny thing is that 44 feet of snow would give you approximately the same amount of precipitation as 50 inches of rain. Of course one crucial difference is that the 44 feet of snow comes over a period of about five months, as opposed to 50 inches of rain in less than five days like Texas is getting.
-Try driving in it and let me know how far you get. They got trucks driving through that rain in Texas right now, along with boats. You aren't doing squat in snow unless you have a snowmobile laying around. 44 feet? Yea...

The National Weather Service has called the rainfall in Texas "unprecidented" and said that "the breadth and intensity of this rainfall are beyond anything experienced before."

So obviously, it's nothing.

Reactions: CorsosRevenge
The National Weather Service has called the rainfall in Texas "unprecidented" and said that "the breadth and intensity of this rainfall are beyond anything experienced before."

So obviously, it's nothing.
-In the state of Texas only. Go to Johnstown. They still have the water markings still on the buildings down there. Look up about 20 feet. Hell, I was just there, Ill upload a picture if you want to see what severe flooding looks like

Reactions: pittdan77
Hell, the Johnston flood was way more severe then this story, compare the location differences and where Johnston sits down in the valley. They got about 70 inches, with flooding on all sides, not flat land.

The Johnstown Flood was more severe because the dam failed, not because of the relative amount of rain they got. The estimate for how much rain they got before the flood is 6 to 10 inches. In other words, places in Texas have already had two or three times more rain than the rain that caused the Johnstown Flood and will have as much as 5 to 10 times more rain by the time it's all over.

Do you really not understand the difference between flooding from a rain storm and flooding from a dam breaking?

The Johnstown Flood was more severe because the dam failed, not because of the relative amount of rain they got. The estimate for how much rain they got before the flood is 6 to 10 inches. In other words, places in Texas have already had two or three times more rain than the rain that caused the Johnstown Flood and will have as much as 5 to 10 times more rain by the time it's all over.

Do you really not understand the difference between flooding from a rain storm and flooding from a dam breaking?
-There was 168 recorded days of rain in Johnstown in 1889, the most ever on record. You have the wrong year friend.

"The U.S. Army Signal Corps estimated that 6 to 10 inches (150 to 250 mm) of rain fell in 24 hours over the region."

Oh, but hold on a second, I forgot, you know better what happened nearly 130 years ago than the people who were there at the time.
-I never said it happened in a day. Its total which broke the dam. I don't need to use a dam breaking to cement this. Take a trip down to the boat club in verona, look up about 15 feet. You are comparing flat land to hills. Take a look at dogwood canyon right now from a paltry 13 inches some weeks back. Location means everything. You are comparing flatland to hills with no respect for sea level.

So what you are saying is that you DON'T understand the difference between a flood caused by a massive rain storm versus one caused by a dam failure. Gotcha.

So what you are saying is that you DON'T understand the difference between a flood caused by a massive rain storm versus one caused by a dam failure. Gotcha.
-If you don't think the Johnstown flood was caused by a massive rainstorm that went on for weeks straight, you have never been to Johnstown

Digressing...but my niece goes to the University of Houston. She heeded her parents advice yesterday and went to a friends parent's home 30 miles off campus. Said her apartment building is ok, but others are not. She's a student athlete so goes to show how fluid these situations arise. Campus is closed till at least Thursday. Prayers to all involved.

Upon further review, my observation stands.
-The op asked about disasters and warnings. News stations are reporting this could be the worst hurricane and flood in us history. Both are so far from the truth that it is silly. The death toll on this wont be anywhere near 2000 plus people. No where in Texas will the flood water break 25 feet high or even come close. And this storm can't touch the cyclone that struck the atlantic coast back in 35 with 220mph win speeds. Its about keeping proper perspective on things and understanding history. This is not the worst storm or weather in us history. Its not even close. They are interviewing people in Texas that are even saying its not all that bad. Katrina was bad as was the 35 cyclone as was the Johnstown flood.

-The op asked about disasters and warnings. News stations are reporting this could be the worst hurricane and flood in us history. Both are so far from the truth that it is silly. The death toll on this wont be anywhere near 2000 plus people. No where in Texas will the flood water break 25 feet high or even come close. And this storm can't touch the cyclone that struck the atlantic coast back in 35 with 220mph win speeds. Its about keeping proper perspective on things and understanding history. This is not the worst storm or weather in us history. Its not even close. They are interviewing people in Texas that are even saying its not all that bad. Katrina was bad as was the 35 cyclone as was the Johnstown flood.

Large quantities of rain in a short period of time over coastal swampland is a big problem. Houston didn't order a mandatory evacuation because mayor decided it could have created a worse situation by putting a few million people in cars on the road during the storm. That decision will be second guessed for years.

Last edited:
"The U.S. Army Signal Corps estimated that 6 to 10 inches (150 to 250 mm) of rain fell in 24 hours over the region."

Oh, but hold on a second, I forgot, you know better what happened nearly 130 years ago than the people who were there at the time.

Topography plays a big role in hilly terrain as it funnels the water into stream valleys after collecting it from a wider area. As a result the effected areas, dams, etc. tend to get a more localized multiplicative effect above what the actual rainfall amounts would cause over flatland.

Large quantities of rain in a short period of time over coastal swampland is a big problem. Houston didn't order a mandatory evacuation because mayor decided it could have created a worse situation by putting a few million people in cars on the road during the storm. That decision will be second guessed for years.

People tend to have the attention span and memory of tick flees.

10 years ago we watched in a mix of horror and amazement when the highways got all backed up in the Rita evacuation, more people died on the highways than by the actual storm.

Houston is like the fourth biggest city in the country, and being in the southern part of the state there is only one direction to evacuate.

Right now we are seeing most of their highway's at least several and in a lot instances double digit feet under water. If there were 100,000s of thousands of people stuck on them ...

Sometimes there is no magic wand that can be waved.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ta-anxiety-leads-to-hellish-fatal-6521994.php

People tend to have the attention span and memory of tick flees.

10 years ago we watched in a mix of horror and amazement when the highways got all backed up in the Rita evacuation, more people died on the highways than by the actual storm.

Houston is like the fourth biggest city in the country, and being in the southern part of the state there is only one direction to evacuate.

Right now we are seeing most of their highway's at least several and in a lot instances double digit feet under water. If there were 100,000s of thousands of people stuck on them ...

Sometimes there is no magic wand that can be waved.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ta-anxiety-leads-to-hellish-fatal-6521994.php

That's just it. Everyone (especially the media) love to second guess and quickly want to assess blame. I guess that is because of the lawyers conditioning us that everything is someone's false and sue, sue, sue! But sometimes the phrase "shit happens" applies. There are like 6 million people in Harris County and the surrounding areas affected by this. Where would you want them to go?? Forcing that many people on the highways to seek shelter unknown where exactly the storm effects will hit would have been the height of stupidity and irresponsibility.

Memo to the Media. **** Off. You guys deserve to get clubbed by an angry mob. You are getting ridiculous.

there is no "Johnstown Flood"... There are Johnstown Floods. Why I seem to remember one in my youth in '77. 12 inches in 9 hours, 81 dead. Eerily similar on a small scale to Texas in that it was a typical summer thunderstorm that spun in the same spot the entire evening. Difference being the topography of a valley town and flat low lying Texas kind of makes up for difference of the rain totals. If J-town got a 60 inch rain the water would be 100 feet deep. This thing in Texas is something awful to behold. A major hurricane wedged between two high pressure systems just spinning and spinning.

1:30... shoot to kill looters orders given to state and local authorities along with roving bands of redneck vigilantes with shot guns riding in the back of pickups.... Guess what, no looting. Good times, good times!

Last edited:
-If you don't think the Johnstown flood was caused by a massive rainstorm that went on for weeks straight, you have never been to Johnstown
Tycoons wanted a playground for their boats and didn't want to pay for safety measures on the damn. This flood was forewarned. The deaths of Johnstown was because of greed and power, by people that we name towns after.

Tycoons wanted a playground for their boats and didn't want to pay for safety measures on the damn. This flood was forewarned. The deaths of Johnstown was because of greed and power, by people that we name towns after.

And build statues in their honor.

And build statues in their honor.
history books are written by the winners. something that kind of turns your stomach a bit when you dive into the history books a bit. especially some of the names here in Pittsburgh. I guess you need to break a few heads, laws, lives if you want to be an industrial pioneer//

The only question in the Original post was if other posters use weather.com. The rest of the post was observation. Judging by your posting ability, I am not surprised you couldn't establish that on your own.

The only question in the Original post was if other posters use weather.com. The rest of the post was observation. Judging by your posting ability, I am not surprised you couldn't establish that on your own.

Back to the original post in this thread, I use the site at the following link -

http://preview.weather.gov/edd/

It's an experimental service from the NWS in Charleston, WV and still under development but I have found it to be very accurate. Just zoom in on any area of the US for forecasts, current observations, radar, river conditions, hazard warnings, and more. More information is available there than most of us need but if you're a weather nut like I am it's worth a look.

Last edited:
-Crater Lake gets up to 900 inches per year. Smurf storm in Texas. And to answer the op, yes I use that site but the radar sites work the best.

"Smurf Storm"? WTF? The last estimate I heard was at least 8 Billion US Dollars in damage is expected before all is done. And you consider it a "Smurf Storm".

I loved your character in the movie, "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

From now on I would address you as Rupert, but I'm going to put you on ignore. I choose not to waste my time reading anything else you might to post.

"Smurf Storm"? WTF? The last estimate I heard was at least 8 Billion US Dollars in damage is expected before all is done. And you consider it a "Smurf Storm".

I loved your character in the movie, "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

From now on I would address you as Rupert, but I'm going to put you on ignore. I choose not to waste my time reading anything else you might to post.

-Katrina was 125 billion. And again,. Going by the death toll records, it's not even close to some type of record for any type of storm. For some reason my other post was deleted talking about a city that currently still sits under water today from a storm. If you guys want to believe this is some record type storm so be it. But it isn't in any way shape or form.

-And if you to want to get technical the Chinese floods wiped out 4 million people. 4 million.

-Katrina was 125 billion. And again,. Going by the death toll records, it's not even close to some type of record for any type of storm. For some reason my other post was deleted talking about a city that currently still sits under water today from a storm. If you guys want to believe this is some record type storm so be it. But it isn't in any way shape or form.
"If you guys want to believe this is some record type storm so be it."...uh, rainfall totals...nothing even close to this one...nothing...I think that would make it a "some record type" don't ya think. The thing hit Thursday night and is still spinning over Houston today. .

"If you guys want to believe this is some record type storm so be it."...uh, rainfall totals...nothing even close to this one...nothing...I think that would make it a "some record type" don't ya think. The thing hit Thursday night and is still spinning over Houston today. .

This is a man who is obsessed with stats. I can tell.

I love weird agenda/debates. We got steel curtain fighting the cause of this hurricane not being a big deal. And he's doubling down on it. I love it. weird as all hell but I always say, if you got a fight, go at it 100%.

I had something like this awhile back, saying that Charles Manson shouldn't be the face or example used of all evil, that there were much worse people in our history. A freakin weird point of view in hindsight but I stuck with it.. My man Steel is doin it here and it's amusing as heck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT