ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: what's the deal Pittsburgh?

We are making the move despite no luck so far with the house .
Going to put our stuff in storage , crash with family , and commute an hour each way hopefully for only a few months.

Pretty nervous about it all, hopefully it's the right move .
Congrats.

We are making the move despite no luck so far with the house .
Going to put our stuff in storage , crash with family , and commute an hour each way hopefully for only a few months.

Pretty nervous about it all, hopefully it's the right move .

If you are going to work for AHN, you have reason to be nervous. They still haven't made a profit and hemorrhage money like it is going out of style. And this has been going on for years & years. Heck, if John Paul couldn't turn it around, maybe that place is DNR (do not resuscitate)

If you are going to work for AHN, you have reason to be nervous. They still haven't made a profit and hemorrhage money like it is going out of style. And this has been going on for years & years. Heck, if John Paul couldn't turn it around, maybe that place is DNR (do not resuscitate)
Not worried about the job or hospital.
My skill set won't have me struggling for employment elsewhere if needed.

Not worried

Good luck you will need it. Not sure I would want to pick and move the fam to work for a place that has never turned a profit and has losses that are greater than the projection stated in the turnaround plan filed with the state. But hey to each his own. You got an 8 page thread about you to further inflate your ego so at least there's that.

Good luck you will need it. Not sure I would want to pick and move the fam to work for a place that has never turned a profit and has losses that are greater than the projection stated in the turnaround plan filed with the state. But hey to each his own. You got an 8 page thread about you to further inflate your ego so at least there's that.
Actually looking for ideas of where to live.

Appreciate your advice. No doubt my eyes are wide open going into it.

It is a tough call. Without kids, living in Shadyside would be the best. Can practically walk to work and tons of great places to shop/eat close by. I'm sorry I would not want my kids to attend PPS. So that leaves you with Catholic or Private schools, both pricey. So if you don't mind paying high taxes and sending kids to private schools, I would do Shadyside in a heart beat.

For the burbs, friends that work there who live in the South Hills complain greatly about the commute. No easy way to get there from the south. If you are willing to gamble a little, Millvale might be an up & coming place and an easy commute. Shaler schools, which are okay. But it is still a little rough around the edges.

Souf - I said this earlier. If I was you - LEASE. Let your family live here for 12 months and get a feel for the city. Obviously it is much different than when you were in school and you will be looking at it through a much different prism. I can't stress enough that you will have access to some of the top public school systems in the state. I'd step back and take your time.

As I have said, you really need to drop the two car garage if you want to live in a nice house in the best PPS area for under $600k. But, sometimes people get lucky. Here is one possibility.

I'm guessing that this will have a bidding war.

Last edited:
Souf - I said this earlier. If I was you - LEASE. Let your family live here for 12 months and get a feel for the city. Obviously it is much different than when you were in school and you will be looking at it through a much different prism. I can't stress enough that you will have access to some of the top public school systems in the state. I'd step back and take your time.
Yeah, living with family and commuting an hour each way seems destined to make your first few months (if you are lucky) in a new place, absolutely miserable.

Agreed. Going to PPS or private in this area is just dumb. I think if you spent any amount of time here your criteria would drastically change. For all the moaning about transit, I can drive from the north hills to anywhere in the city easily. Even if you could walk some places within the city limits, you really want to be busing all around to get to the other parts? Crazy.

Well I'm all for top schools , just the location of the schools isn't appealing to the wife right now.

Which is why we are hitting the pause button for awhile

As I have said, you really need to drop the two car garage if you want to live in a nice house in the best PPS area for under $600k. But, sometimes people get lucky. Here is one possibility.

I'm guessing that this will have a bidding war.
We have our realtor sitting on it since the day it went on the market. Thanks

2 car garage is a preference, but not a requirement.

Well I'm all for top schools , just the location of the schools isn't appealing to the wife right now.

Shaler, NA & North Hills school districts are relatively painless commutes to WPAHS. Restaurants are improving in north hills and the best mall in the state, Ross Park, is right there. Plus you have North Park. Not sure what would be unappealing about any of those choices

Good idea. I definitely wouldn't commit to buying anything until your wife gets a better idea of the city/suburbs.

Shaler, NA & North Hills school districts are relatively painless commutes to WPAHS. Restaurants are improving in north hills and the best mall in the state, Ross Park, is right there. Plus you have North Park. Not sure what would be unappealing about any of those choices
It's been explained.
But she really wants to live in the city.
And the burbs we saw were pretty much isolated collections of houses without much around.
Except for sewickley (which is not an ideal commute) and oakmont which is in contention if we find a house we like .

Agreed. Going to PPS or private in this area is just dumb. I think if you spent any amount of time here your criteria would drastically change. For all the moaning about transit, I can drive from the north hills to anywhere in the city easily. Even if you could walk some places within the city limits, you really want to be busing all around to get to the other parts? Crazy.
For what it is worth, PPS and private schools are where most of the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre students go. Really, it is all about fit for the kid. Some will do great in a small school, others will thrive in a big school. Some will be helped by better competition, others will be overwhelmed, etc.

I understand that Pittsburghers like to believe that we have the best of everything, but I'm curious why you think that the Ross Park Mall is the best in the state? I used to live near the King of Prussia Mall, and that might be the best mall in the US.

I understand that Pittsburghers like to believe that we have the best of everything, but I'm curious why you think that the Ross Park Mall is the best in the state? I used to live near the King of Prussia Mall, and that might be the best mall in the US.
Because most yinzers have never left the Pittsburgh region. Do people really say that about Ross Park Mall?! If so, they likely don't leave websites that aren't related to the Pittsburgh region.

It's been explained.
But she really wants to live in the city.
And the burbs we saw were pretty much isolated collections of houses without much around.
Except for sewickley (which is not an ideal commute) and oakmont which is in contention if we find a house we like .

Oakmont is a solid choice. The big problem is the lack of quality public transportation. PAT's bus changes really screwed them over a few years back. If I didn't work downtown (and sometimes Oakland) then Oakmont is where I would be living.

If you plan on parking a car inside the garage, you better get 2. 1 garage is for junk and kid shit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT