ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: what's the deal Pittsburgh?

Nobody said Bridgeville yet? Ticks all the boxes and CV isn't a bad school district.

I wonder how many people here knew that the original American beltway system was developed here as part of suburban growth for soldiers coming back from WWII and korea.....

And while every big city has beltways such as 295 in Baltimore or 375 around Atlanta or 395 around miami.......

The city where this concept was created is stuck with the orange belt through gibsonia.....and the green belt through north park....or the red belt through tarentum . .....

Actually, it's the yellow belt through North Park. But that's an easy mistake with all of the colors.

Much closer than some other areas mentioned. (Hampton, Wexford, Sewickley, etc.). EquIdistant to Oakmont, Alison Park, etc. anyway, good luck.
True , but no tunnel and or bridge from oakmont .

Agree, north hills are just out...
Aspinwall and if some house close to 28 in fox chapel pops up its a consideration.
That's about it, though.

Aspinwall and if some house close to 28 in fox chapel pops up its a consideration.
That's about it, though.
Souf - just fyi - my parents recently moved to Oakmont and I have other family members who live there. Travel distance is longer to downtown from Oakmont than Franklin Park.

(Edit: If I were you, I'd lease for a year. I think your son (?) is young enough that you don't need to be in any particular school district yet. And I know you talked about private education, but this city has some of the finest public school systems in the state and I would argue some may be better than the private offerings. Depends what you feel is important. But compared to cities like Charlotte or Atlanta, quality public school districts are plentiful here. You really need to live here now to understand the current layout. It's hard to to just read about it. You won't know till you live it. Good Luck with your decision. Relocation is always a hard call.)

Last edited:

That's about it, though.

Between you and me...(whispering) only dullards use tunnel access to downtown Pittsburgh.

Formal Apology: To those of you who use tunnels, you are NOT dullards...

I think your wife is really going to be dissapointed with downtown Pittsburgh. It's not that exciting.
Not downtown, close to shadyside, sq hill, east Liberty , highland park.

It's the food , beer, restaurants and whole scene that matters .
In other words , replacing the best part of living in this foodie region .

Your wife sounds like a fantastic lady, I mean who wouldn't put their ability to walk to get a overpriced coffee over their child's education / environment. If diversity is what you seek, get in the forefront and go all in and invest in the hill district making that comeback. Close to Bloomfield etc, and your wife will get to see how happening downtown Pgh is firsthand.

Your wife sounds like a fantastic lady, I mean who wouldn't put their ability to walk to get a overpriced coffee over their child's education / environment. If diversity is what you seek, get in the forefront and go all in and invest in the hill district making that comeback. Close to Bloomfield etc, and your wife will get to see how happening downtown Pgh is firsthand.
I'll repeat she agrees to move back to Pittsburgh because she wants to live IN Pittsburgh.

Not a half hour away .
Our kid will do just fine for education because we are caring, involved, and invested in his education .

Reactions: Jpripper88
I'll repeat she agrees to move back to Pittsburgh because she wants to live IN Pittsburgh.

Not a half hour away .
Our kid will do just fine for education because we are caring, involved, and invested in his education .

http://www.howardhanna.com/NewHomes/Community/765d9878-26c6-4be2-bad0-90e7ad2607d2

FWIW, saw this on the PPG today and thought it could be worth a look. I agree, do not worry much about schools - especially for the young grades. No matter where he goes, your time will be forcing him to memorize his spelling words and learn his times tables.

Not a half hour away .
Souf where in the triangle are you now? Because unless you're near Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, or inside the beltline in Five Points or Oakwood or downtown in Raleigh, my experience is that it's not that great of a walking city. I'm in Cary, which is great, and lots of lakes and walking trails etc... But not walking to shops and restaurants.

Plus Wake County schools are crap with all of the bussing and moving around.

As a parent with young children living in Highland Park -- I'll try not to be offended! My kids are thriving at PPS and our neighborhood is filling with young families.
Good luck with your search.
As a parent with young children living in Highland Park -- I'll try not to be offended! My kids are thriving at PPS and our neighborhood is filling with young families.
Good luck with your search.
do you mind if I ask which school they go to?

Have you looked at Morning Side? Not my cup of tea, but would fit some of your criteria. She could walk to the zoo, among other things.

No clue about schools. It's next to Highland Park.

Not downtown, close to shadyside, sq hill, east Liberty , highland park.

It's the food , beer, restaurants and whole scene that matters .
In other words , replacing the best part of living in this foodie region .

That's why Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Garfield is probably your best bet. Really made a comeback, lots of up and coming or established restaurants, even a short drive to Lawrenceburg another burgeoning restaurant area, definitely diverse, I would think that is your best bet.

Aside of alot of residents being employees of Pitt or CMU, or the hospitals, you also have Google located there, so it would be a melting pot of well educated people from all parts of the world.

As someone even mentioned, Allderdice HS would be as good as any of the top suburban school districts with more diversity. Plus, Curtis Martin went there, so you have that going for you.

That's why Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Garfield is probably your best bet. Really made a comeback, lots of up and coming or established restaurants, even a short drive to Lawrenceburg another burgeoning restaurant area, definitely diverse, I would think that is your best bet.

Aside of alot of residents being employees of Pitt or CMU, or the hospitals, you also have Google located there, so it would be a melting pot of well educated people from all parts of the world.

As someone even mentioned, Allderdice HS would be as good as any of the top suburban school districts with more diversity. Plus, Curtis Martin went there, so you have that going for you.
Thank you for repeating the content of my post back to me.

Don't forget, moving to North Squirrel Hill means you might run into SP a lot. Unless he moved. That's got to be a huge bonus! :cool:

So far this week I'm closer to scrapping the relocation.
From the Cheap Seats; one last nugget from an old curmudgeon. If you like the area you live in now, and you like the people living around you, and if there are no over riding factors to influence you to move-- Stay where you are at least for now.

I am in the same exact dilemma. I am really thinking of not relocating back to Pittsburgh after years of thinking I would go back. Regent square and mount Lebanon are the top of the pile but the darkness and lack of proximity to beaches, other cities, and national parks bother me.

Souf,

If you're in Durham or near there, do you really Pgh is better? I have always enjoyed my visits to that region of North Carolina and wondered if the grass is greener.

Souf,

If you're in Durham or near there, do you really Pgh is better? I have always enjoyed my visits to that region of North Carolina and wondered if the grass is greener.
The abstract notion of coming home, good career move, and being closer to the grandparents...
Has been quickly squandered this month by the home search.

May break my parent's hearts.

Cars are expensive, wasteful, dangerous pieces of ****, and Pittsburgh and its surrounding suburbs are worse off for their horrendous transit options. Maybe we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic if people walked and biked rather than haul ass in SUVs and minivans; maybe we would have better air quality without thousands of exhaust systems running constantly; maybe people would be more cordial with one another if they weren't constantly fighting for parking spots or merge points or whatever; maybe we could save countless lives if people weren't operating two ton death machines while drunk or playing Pokemon Go.

I own a car, and it is my primary form of transportation: anytime I see a yinzer or NIMBY rail against new bus routes, new bike lanes, or better pedestrian infrastructure, my blood boils. Modern public transit is decisively not car-centric, and the city will be held back so long as people (including a bunch in this thread) refuse to accept that. Cars will always dominate the transit hierarchy because they are easy and efficient, but that shouldn't and can't exclude paying attention to other modes of transport.

The abstract notion of coming home, good career move, and being closer to the grandparents...

Likewise, we keep thinking of pulling the trigger and going back to pburgh but after living in several places that have a lot of stuff to do, better weather, and opportunities...it becomes very hard to go back.

We are looking for the exact scenario you're looking for but each place has so many drawbacks. My Lebanon would win for us. Regent square is a favorite but we don't want to deal with private school costs. We are at the point that if we move back to Pittsburgh then we will need a second home in a warm spot to make up for shitty weather.

I think you'd be doing yourself a huge favor - if you really want to move, that is - if you'd limit your areas of consideration NOW.

She wants to live in the city? Okay, start seriously looking at Shadyside and Squirrel Hill - and those places only. It sounds like you're frustrating yourself because you've been over-searching. Sometimes the obvious choices are the best choices. Buy in one of those two areas.

After a year or two, re-assess your decision. You'll know a lot more in two years than you do now - and it'll be easy to flip property in either of those two areas if you think you'd like some place better.

My son lived in Cary, NC and loved it. It was everything that you say that your place is.

His job necessitated a transfer to Texas; he'd love to be back in Cary.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Cary NC is special. You got that right.

If you have to move to Pgh. Go Mt Lebo

Cars are expensive, wasteful, dangerous pieces of ****, and Pittsburgh and its surrounding suburbs are worse off for their horrendous transit options. Maybe we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic if people walked and biked rather than haul ass in SUVs and minivans; maybe we would have better air quality without thousands of exhaust systems running constantly; maybe people would be more cordial with one another if they weren't constantly fighting for parking spots or merge points or whatever; maybe we could save countless lives if people weren't operating two ton death machines while drunk or playing Pokemon Go.

I own a car, and it is my primary form of transportation: anytime I see a yinzer or NIMBY rail against new bus routes, new bike lanes, or better pedestrian infrastructure, my blood boils. Modern public transit is decisively not car-centric, and the city will be held back so long as people (including a bunch in this thread) refuse to accept that. Cars will always dominate the transit hierarchy because they are easy and efficient, but that shouldn't and can't exclude paying attention to other modes of transport.

Riding PAT bus is for the poors. It's filthy and filled with more scum and villainy than Mos Eisley

Reactions: levance2

UMMMM.......i think you incorrectly spelled your handle.

its really Bernie.....no????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT