ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where would Pittsburgh host the NFL Draft?

Did they ever do anything with the abandoned old airport terminal? I remember talk of some NASCAR track going there. It’s nothing I’d want to partake in so I don’t know if it happened?

It would obviously be at Point State Park just like that NFL Kickoff Concert about 10 years ago. And Im sure Pgh will host eventually. What I never can understand is why this is such a big tourist event. People from all over the country descend on a city to hear someone's name called. Its weird. I dont get the fascination with attending one of these live. And also how does every team have like 100 fans all sitting together? It’s always amazing to me that there will be 100 Jaguar fans at an NFL Draft 1000 miles away.
Coming from someone who attended it this past weekend, I don’t believe it’s as big of a tourist event as they claim. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a huge event, but I’d guess that of the 312,000 estimated people that attended the Draft, maybe 2/3 of them were locals. Still a really good showing, but it’s likely why cities such as Kansas City and Cleveland have enough hotel capacity to host such events.

As for the fans, I believe they enter a contest through the teams and win tickets to attend up close. Not sure whether the teams cover the cost of getting there (wouldn’t think so), but I think it’s a way of making sure all teams are represented there.

Perhaps unpopular, but I think a rotation of cities needs to happen for these cash cows.
Warm-weather cities should take the Super Bowls and cold-weather cities should get the draft. Everyone gets a slice of the pie and everyone can flex some civic pride. And every city gets an occasional windfall.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
How about State College? Untold acres of open space there. We always hear how it is essentially a suburb of Pittsburgh. Rt 22 might get a bit backed up. Art Rooney can participate in the unveiling of the new Paterno statue. A choir of Second Mile boys can sing the national Anthem. Just don’t leave them alone in the Green Room.

Perhaps unpopular, but I think a rotation of cities needs to happen for these cash cows.
Warm-weather cities should take the Super Bowls and cold-weather cities should get the draft. Everyone gets a slice of the pie and everyone can flex some civic pride. And every city gets an occasional windfall.
As someone who would never go to either (uncomped at least)…nah. I like the unexpected (but should have been expected) weather disasters when these entities challenge Mother Nature and put SBs in Minnesota or play World Series games in late November. That one SB when it as so cold that ice sheets from the Dallas stadium roof were crashing down onto arriving spectators that likely had spent 5 figures …delicious.

People from all over the country descend on a city to hear someone's name called. Its weird. I dont get the fascination with attending one of these live. And also how does every team have like 100 fans all sitting together? Its always amazing to me that there will be 100 Jaguar fans at an NFL Draft 1000 miles away.

And then the best part is that they announce that the Jaguars have selected Brenton Strange, tight end, Penn State and they pan to those Jacksonville fans and it's obvious that most of them have no idea who Brenton Strange is (for the record, neither would have I) or whether or not he's a good pick at that point in the draft (probably not), so that after a couple seconds pause they just start cheering.

They could announce that their team just selected Joe Stalin, guard, University of Georgia (no, not that one, the other one) and the fans would yell just as loud.

It would be nice but 400,000 mostly OO town fans would stay where? Thats always been an issue with having big event in Pittsburgh and hotel space in and around city. I hope they can find a solution soon.
There's no way that it would be 400,000 out-of-town fans. Kansas City had just over 300,000 fans reportedly at the event over the three days. I feel that number is inflated because they said they draft site capacity was 60,000 people. Just because other cities have huge numbers doesn't mean Pittsburgh would have to pack a half a million people in an area when in reality the number is probably no higher than 75% of the reported total along with most being local fans. A city will accommodate what it can and the atmosphere doesn't need a lot. It was just fine when it was in Radio City Music Hall.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT