ADVERTISEMENT

OT: who was the best athlete

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I didn’t know if I should put this on the basketball board or this board...but considering two of the three were football players, I put it here. Plus I thought our hoops board would have a bit of a bias.

Who was the better athlete? Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, or Dick Groat? How would you rank them? Discuss.

The 30 for 30 on Sanders premiers this week and it had me wondering what pitt fans thought.

Reactions: jtbuba
I don't know how Mr. Groat would have fared in a THIRD sport, but Bo and Deion (that's the order I would place those two in) were competitive in track (I think Bo could have done the decathlon).

Bo and Deion by far

NOT.EVEN.CLOSE.
that is not a rank...but it does seem a tad presumptuous in the "not even close" realm for .250 and .273 hitters with short careers (one all star appearance between them) in that particular sport when compared to a guy with a league mvp while holding a spot in the college basketball hall of fame (dude averaged 26 per his last two years in the pre-three point era)..

Bo and Deion by far

NOT.EVEN.CLOSE.
Groat was a better baseball player than Neon and a better basketball player than Neon was a football player. Other than that, yeah, you are right. As far as being a pure athlete Deion would have been better but what are we talking about here?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
that is not a rank...but it does seem a tad presumptuous in the "not even close" realm for .250 and .273 hitters with short careers (one all star appearance between them) in that particular sport when compared to a guy with a league mvp while holding a spot in the college basketball hall of fame (dude averaged 26 per his last two years in the pre-three point era)..

Surprised to find that while Groat is in the college baseball HOF, he's not in the one for the major leagues.

Jim Thorpe

He was a two-time football All-American at Carlisle and was considered the best football player in the country. In 1911, he led Carlisle to an 11-1 record and then led them to the National Collegiate Championship in 1912, scoring 25 touchdowns and 198 points. He played four positions: running back, defensive back, placekicker and punter.

Also, in 1912, in the Summer Olympics in Stockholm, Sweden, he easily won the gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon, winning an amazing 8 out of the 15 individual events that were part of the two competitions. Thorpe’s Olympic record of 8,413 points in the decathlon stood for nearly two decades.

He also starred in track and field, was a good baseball and lacrosse player, and even won a ballroom dancing contest, all while he was at Carlisle. He also dabbled in wrestling and basketball exhibitions at various times in his life. He went on to become a star in professional football, retiring at the age of 41 in 1928. On top of that, he was a decent professional baseball player, batting .252 lifetime with a .327 average his final season in 1919.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Like others have mentioned, best athlete doesn't always equate to the best player. The 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson was a good watch.

For the most accomplished player, I would have to go with Dick Groat. For best athlete, I would say Bo Jackson. Sanders was just fast.

The OP is mentioning those guys that have played multiple sports at the highest level.

There were (are) lots of guys that focused on one sport but could have been multi sport stars

Dave Winfield, for example

Or Michael Jordan.

Many say had Jordan played baseball out of HS he would have been a perennial all star.

Interesting that this subject comes up on the 100th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's birth (January 31, 1919). Everybody knows him for baseball, but at UCLA he was all-conference in both football and basketball, and was an NCAA champion long jumper. Actually, at the college level, baseball was, ironically, his worst sport.

Interesting that this subject comes up on the 100th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's birth (January 31, 1919). Everybody knows him for baseball, but at UCLA he was all-conference in both football and basketball, and was an NCAA champion long jumper. Actually, at the college level, baseball was, ironically, his worst sport.

I did not realise that until this thread turned me towards google and articles on the top athletes ever. I think two that deserve mention are Jackie Robinson and Babe Didrikson Zaharias.

Dick Groat’s career slugging percentage was a paltry 366. He hit 39 home runs. Deion Sanders also hit 39 home runs. Sanders OPS was 711. Groat’s was 696.

Sanders is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I was intentionally vague in my OP because I knew the discussion would go a couple different ways. Being a great athlete and being a more accomplished athlete are two different things.

I think Bo was the best athlete of the three. And Groat the most accomplished athlete of the three.

Although Sanders did make a pro HOF.

It’s an interesting discussion for sure. It amazes me that Dick Groat won a league MVP in his 2nd best sport.

I didn’t know if I should put this on the basketball board or this board...but considering two of the three were football players, I put it here. Plus I thought our hoops board would have a bit of a bias.

Who was the better athlete? Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, or Dick Groat? How would you rank them? Discuss.

The 30 for 30 on Sanders premiers this week and it had me wondering what pitt fans thought.
The best ever — the list is to great—however the best athletes I’ve seen are Clemente,Blunt,Bradshaw,and Mario in that order.

Dick Groat’s career slugging percentage was a paltry 366. He hit 39 home runs. Deion Sanders also hit 39 home runs. Sanders OPS was 711. Groat’s was 686.

Sanders is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Wow. You got your post in a second before mine. We are on The same page for once.

I don't know how Mr. Groat would have fared in a THIRD sport, but Bo and Deion (that's the order I would place those two in) were competitive in track (I think Bo could have done the decathlon).
It’s interesting that the common denominator with players like Robinson, Groat, Sanders and Jackson is that baseball was the 2nd sport—a sport that probably requires the least amount of athleticism than any of the major sports.

The OP is mentioning those guys that have played multiple sports at the highest level.

There were (are) lots of guys that focused on one sport but could have been multi sport stars

My memory on this may be a bit foggy, but didn't Winfield get drafted by both the NFL and the NBA? (That probably should be qualified by the fact that the drafts for both leagues had far more rounds back then than they do today, but still . . . )

Groat was a better baseball player than Neon and a better basketball player than Neon was a football player.
giphy.gif

Reactions: cease10
My memory on this may be a bit foggy, but didn't Winfield get drafted by both the NFL and the NBA? (That probably should be qualified by the fact that the drafts for both leagues had far more rounds back then than they do today, but still . . . )

You are correct.

Drafted in 3 pro leagues.

I might also add Carl Crawford,

Dont hear much about his overall abilities but Crawford had football and basketball offers from every top end school on both sports

He chose baseball out of HS and had a solid career

Or Michael Jordan.

Many say had Jordan played baseball out of HS he would have been a perennial all star.
Have you ever seen Jordan swing a bat? If you did you wouldn’t agree with this. He was too long and not quick enough.

Honestly it is tough me to say because Groat's career ended 12 years before I was born so I only have stories, stats, and grainy video to try and place him. Then comparing Die on and No is tough also because they were 2 different type of athletes obviously as Bo was power/brute force and Dieon was finesse. I will say I was more in awe of No than Dieon as a kid.

It’s interesting that the common denominator with players like Robinson, Groat, Sanders and Jackson is that baseball was the 2nd sport—a sport that probably requires the least amount of athleticism than any of the major sports.

In one way you are correct because there is time to react more than most sports and no resistance. Yet in another way it is the hardest sport as one of the best in the games history was only successful 40% in the best season ever for a hitter.

This is always my answer when people discuss the greatest athlete in modern times. Besides those sports he was also a great golfer and tennis player and who knows what else.

Jackie Robinson was overrated as a pure baseball player but way underrated as an athlete. Guy excelled at anything he ever tried to do on the athletic field.

Winfield's choice of sports was influenced by the promise the Padres made to start him out in the major leagues. Indeed, unless there was an injury rehab in there somewhere, he never sent a day in the minors.

Or Michael Jordan.

Jordan couldn’t hit his way out of a wet paper bag

Have you ever seen Jordan swing a bat? If you did you wouldn’t agree with this. He was too long and not quick enough.

He gave baseball a try in the middle of a pro basketball career, years removed from HS.

My post suggested that had he tried baseball out of HS he could have been a solid major leaguer.

Don't take my word for it. Look up the pro scouts comments about MJ.

No doubt he would have been drafted simply on raw athletic ability.....I mentioned him based upon evaluations from men who get paid to know this stuff

Wilt Chamberlain deserves a mention as well. Track star at Kansas and pro volleyball player. Another guy that was good at every sport he tried.

Reactions: wbrpanther
This is always my answer when people discuss the greatest athlete in modern times. Besides those sports he was also a great golfer and tennis player and who knows what else.

Jackie Robinson was overrated as a pure baseball player but way underrated as an athlete. Guy excelled at anything he ever tried to do on the athletic field.

as an aside,

Jackie Robinson's brother won the silver medal in the 1936 olympics 200 meters, finishing .04 seconds behind Jessie Owens

Reactions: USN_Panther
Groat was a better baseball player than Neon and a better basketball player than Neon was a football player. Other than that, yeah, you are right. As far as being a pure athlete Deion would have been better but what are we talking about here?

This is a horrible take.

Reactions: cease10
I was intentionally vague in my OP because I knew the discussion would go a couple different ways. Being a great athlete and being a more accomplished athlete are two different things.

I think Bo was the best athlete of the three. And Groat the most accomplished athlete of the three.

Although Sanders did make a pro HOF.

It’s an interesting discussion for sure. It amazes me that Dick Groat won a league MVP in his 2nd best sport

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT