ADVERTISEMENT

OT - WVU Hires Washington State WVB Coach

chrisran24

Redshirt
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2019
WVU just announced hiring Jen Greeny, the women's volleyball head coach at Washington State, to be their new head coach. This is an example of the depressing impact of conference realignment on volleyball - Greeny is a WSU alum, had been coaching there for 13 years including two Sweet 16s, two PAC-12 coach of the year awards, and had built a really solid program there, and now she leaves that to go to bumf*** Morgantown, with no volleyball tradition and 1 NCAA tournament appearance ever, because she knows her program is dead in the water and WVU is in a power 5 conference. Sad. Interesting to see how she has success there, because her strength had been recruiting international players, lets see how they like hillbillies and burning couches

WVU just announced hiring Jen Greeny, the women's volleyball head coach at Washington State, to be their new head coach. This is an example of the depressing impact of conference realignment on volleyball - Greeny is a WSU alum, had been coaching there for 13 years including two Sweet 16s, two PAC-12 coach of the year awards, and had built a really solid program there, and now she leaves that to go to bumf*** Morgantown, with no volleyball tradition and 1 NCAA tournament appearance ever, because she knows her program is dead in the water and WVU is in a power 5 conference. Sad. Interesting to see how she has success there, because her strength had been recruiting international players, lets see how they like hillbillies and burning couches
Feels like this isn't a long term situation but I'm certain realignment hurt recruiting in a big way.

WVU and Marshall have achieved tremendous soccer success recruiting internationals so I'm sure she will be fine. Its not like rural Eastern Washington on the Idaho border is any better than Morgantown. Heck, in some ways its probably more attractive being close to a real city and also not far from DC, which is attractive for internationals.

WVU and Marshall have achieved tremendous soccer success recruiting internationals so I'm sure she will be fine. Its not like rural Eastern Washington on the Idaho border is any better than Morgantown. Heck, in some ways its probably more attractive being close to a real city and also not far from DC, which is attractive for internationals.
She recruits internationally already but you're not luring better talent than what you can find at home. The best foreign players stay home with maybe the exception of South America and the Caribbean. Pac12 was a volleyball mecca for years and that footprint is still home to some of the best talent in the country. West Virginia is not any of those things. Only upside is that it's somewhat close to the Midwest. She's killing time until a better job opens up.

She recruits internationally already but you're not luring better talent than what you can find at home. The best foreign players stay home with maybe the exception of South America and the Caribbean. Pac12 was a volleyball mecca for years and that footprint is still home to some of the best talent in the country. West Virginia is not any of those things. Only upside is that it's somewhat close to the Midwest. She's killing time until a better job opens up.
Cook retires....Busboom Kelley to Nebraska......Greeny to Louisville ;)

Reactions: pittdan77
Well Nikki Izzo Brown has WVU as a national power in womens soccer and does a great job recruiting domestically and internationally. So it can certainly be done there and done well.

Before the new hire, almost every good player on the WVU team had entered the portal. Two of them quickly were picked up by teams that made the tourney this year.

As some have mentioned, WVU has become a woman’s soccer and basketball power with a combo of international and domestic players and this year their men’s soccer team made the Final Four. It’s not a bad short term fit for the WSU coach.

Before the new hire, almost every good player on the WVU team had entered the portal. Two of them quickly were picked up by teams that made the tourney this year.

As some have mentioned, WVU has become a woman’s soccer and basketball power with a combo of international and domestic players and this year their men’s soccer team made the Final Four. It’s not a bad short term fit for the WSU coach.
It's not bad for WVU either. Not sure how much success you can inject into a program like that but it's not impossible. Also possible that WVU wants to build up another olympic program but I don't know. Even with the new additions, it's not going to be a great volleyball conference.

Jonathan Smith, leaving his alma mater Oregon State, to become the new head coach at Michigan State is another example of what you describe above. Smith has been a west coast guy his entire life, but staying at Oregon State became very unattactive once the PAC 10 was decimated.

With Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12, it’s certainly not going to be even arguably the third best conference in women’s volleyball. Of the four additions, only ASU made the tourney. WVU might see a chance to at least become a tourney team. The B12 is not an bc elite conference in women’s BB, but WVU has become an elite program. Not a possible title winner but a solid tournament team every year.

The unofficial Standings for the Fall Director’s Cup were shown during one of the volleyball matches. This was before the Final Four in volleyball and soccer I believe and also before the football bowl games, but UNC and Stanford were neck and neck for 1st. UNC gets as many points for field hockey, with far less teams, as winners get in far more competitive sports. Pitt was #8. I believe the ACC, including Stanford and Cal, had 7 of the top ten and 10 of the top 25.

California was #1 for men, which was a real surprise. Pitt was not in the top 25, which wasn’t. 3-9 will do that.

Reactions: pittdan77
The B12 is not an bc elite conference in women’s BB, but WVU has become an elite program.

West Virginia is not an elite women's basketball program. To the point where they are 11-0 this season, and they still aren't even in the top 25. And elite program with that record would be in the top ten easy, if not top five. They can't even crack the top 25, because they were 19-11 last year, and 15-15 the year before and no one expected them to be any good this season. And because they've only played one team this season with a pulse, Penn State (who was ranked 25th at the time, but currently isn't getting any votes).

They actually have an odd team this year. Their top five scorers are all shorter than six feet tall. They pummeled Pitt into submission by pressing full court for 40 minutes. It's an interesting style and would be fun to watch your team play, but when they play someone with good guard play to handle their press and any sort of height at all they are probably going to be in a lot of trouble.

And while they do have two foreign players on their team, one of them has not played this season and the other plays less than 10 minutes per game.

West Virginia is not an elite women's basketball program. To the point where they are 11-0 this season, and they still aren't even in the top 25. And elite program with that record would be in the top ten easy, if not top five. They can't even crack the top 25, because they were 19-11 last year, and 15-15 the year before and no one expected them to be any good this season. And because they've only played one team this season with a pulse, Penn State (who was ranked 25th at the time, but currently isn't getting any votes).

They actually have an odd team this year. Their top five scorers are all shorter than six feet tall. They pummeled Pitt into submission by pressing full court for 40 minutes. It's an interesting style and would be fun to watch your team play, but when they play someone with good guard play to handle their press and any sort of height at all they are probably going to be in a lot of trouble.

And while they do have two foreign players on their team, one of them has not played this season and the other plays less than 10 minutes per game.
Yeah, it's not as easy as saying, "go get foreign players". I mean, there aren't nearly as many elite soccer players in the US as Europe but the opposite is true for sports like basketball and volleyball.

I'm anxious to see how they will work an 18-team conference into the schedule. My preference would be that we play all 17 teams once and we get Louisville as our annual home-and-home partner. I think it has been an asset to Pitt and Louisville these last few years that we get more OOC matches than the Pac-12 and B1G.

Stanford/Cal seems pretty easy for the existing schools. I am not sure how they integrate SMU in the middle of nowhere.

I'm anxious to see how they will work an 18-team conference into the schedule. My preference would be that we play all 17 teams once and we get Louisville as our annual home-and-home partner. I think it has been an asset to Pitt and Louisville these last few years that we get more OOC matches than the Pac-12 and B1G.

Stanford/Cal seems pretty easy for the existing schools. I am not sure how they integrate SMU in the middle of nowhere.
Pair Florida state with SMU in every sport imo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT