ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your List of Favorite Music Artists ever ...

I always listen to music for enjoyment. I feel like people arguing complexity is a weird thing to do. Exactly why I could never get into rush or floyd at all
Missing layered complexity, but...

Just having some fun. I'm done.

I always listen to music for enjoyment. I feel like people arguing complexity is a weird thing to do. Exactly why I could never get into rush or floyd at all

I don't think it's weird at all. I think most people can appreciate the different elements a Bob Dylan song has to offer versus Happy Birthday or The Hokey Pokey. Some people like pictures books; others like to read higher-level thinking novels (personally, I don't care for books at all). It doesn't mean one person is right and the other is wrong; like anything, people seek different things out of music.

Having said that, I do believe one is a lot more difficult to do, and - if not more enjoyment, per se - ought to at least garner more respect.

Last edited:
I don't think it's weird at all. I think most people can appreciate the different elements a Bob Dylan song has to offer versus Happy Birthday or The Hokey Pokey. Some people like pictures books; others like to read higher-level thinking novels (personally, I don't care for books at all). It doesn't mean one person is right and the other is wrong; like anything, people seek different things out of music.

Having said that, I do believe one is a lot more difficult to do, and - if not more enjoyment, per se - ought to at least garner more respect.
True. I don’t mean to crap on opinions haha. Everyone likes what they like. I always have viewed music as an escape. I think enough during the day and at night before bed. I don’t like Floyd for that reason where others do haha.

But when people tell me they think KISS is talentless , I laugh.
And then I point them to this performance.

Most if you don’t know this song, but the entire mtv unplugged performance before their reuniting with Ace and Peter was fantastic.

DT_Pitt, you're a god damn class act.

And to contribute in some way:

• The National - I love them and recognize I love them because I fit squarely in their demographic.
  • Kanye West - Dark Twisted Fantasy is one of the 5 best albums of the century.

I never listen to kiss for some magical introspective lyrics lol. I think they just built this aura of having fun and not giving a f***. It worked for sure. Paul Stanley may stand only behind Freddie and Robert in terms of Vocal frontman ability, but he had a guitar in his hand too and created some memorable riffs w Ace
I liked Lou Gramm of Foreigner

Even though they are not my favorite band, probably no band has more songs that take me back to the best times of your life, those 13-20 year old years, summers, when you didn't have responsibilities and pressures, discovering girls, playing sports, than Journey. None. I hear some of those Journey hits and I can be instantly transported back in time.

When you are being transported back in time, just make sure you are on “the Midnight train to anywhere.” And, don’t stop believing in the power of music.

Reactions: gary2
Freddie Mercury and Queen.
The original Doobie Brothers.
As Gary mentioned, Lionel Hampton is a great jazz musician. One of the greatest.

I can appreciate the talent of a band while simultaneously not enjoying the music.
Rush is an excellent example.

To me, the most interesting thing about this thread is how little animosity it has generated. Posters vary greatly regarding the nature of the music and musicians they like, and there certainly have been some minor digs at other posts. But, nowhere near the level of criticism and sarcasm that would routinely be a part of a 200-plus post thread on this Board.

I suspect the main reason for that is that everyone recognizes just how subjective musical taste is. We all love music. We all like some genres more than others. We all like certain musicians more than others. Those of us who are older listened to and may love music which younger posters never have heard. Many of the younger posters listen to artists and genres that aren’t even vaguely familiar to us oldsters. Some of us are concerned with the deeper meanings in songs; some focus on the melodies. Some look for the poetry in lyrics; some listen for the beat. But, we respect and understand those differences, which I think explains the general positive tone of this thread.

To me, the most interesting thing about this thread is how little animosity it has generated. Posters vary greatly regarding the nature of the music and musicians they like, and there certainly have been some minor digs at other posts. But, nowhere near the level of criticism and sarcasm that would routinely be a part of a 200-plus post thread on this Board.

I suspect the main reason for that is that everyone recognizes just how subjective musical taste is. We all love music. We all like some genres more than others. We all like certain musicians more than others. Those of us who are older listened to and may love music which younger posters never have heard. Many of the younger posters listen to artists and genres that aren’t even vaguely familiar to us oldsters. Some of us are concerned with the deeper meanings in songs; some focus on the melodies. Some look for the poetry in lyrics; some listen for the beat. But, we respect and understand those differences, which I think explains the general positive tone of this thread.
Agree

Personal aside: I used to work with someone that was a blues musician. We had a running joke: I would tell him the Beatles ruined music and thank God it was saved from the Beatles by Disco.

Reactions: NTOP

There's a message in here somewhere?? ;-)

It's a great thread, one that I love on forums like this, it gives a bit more insight into who all of us are, where we came from, etc....

Things like this are a really good thing, instead of the current tone and rhetoric of other items where we almost try and dehumanize each other.

We are all different. But not so much so.

Reactions: mike412 and gary2
The Clash, The Jam (and yes even The Style Council), The Specials, The Small Faces, The Kinks, The Who.

Also almost every soul artist on Motown, Stax, Chess, Salsoul, Philadelphia International, Okeh, Atlantic, etc. More about great singles than great bands/groups. Also have probably 500 or so favorite old northern soul 45s, many smaller labels from places like Harrisburg that are great too. But if I have to name a favorite or two, maybe First Choice or Marvin Gaye.

Agree

Personal aside: I used to work with someone that was a blues musician. We had a running joke: I would tell him the Beatles ruined music and thank God it was saved from the Beatles by Disco.
Ouch......but somewhat true,

That’s the Beatles for me. I respect their music and cultural impact while also thinking they’re the most overrated band ever.
She loves you, yah yah yah

I want to hold your hand

They became stars after that? Sure they grew later, but that drivel made them stars or was it the hairdo or novelty?

Whatever, they crowded out all existing American music. It took disco to MAGA!! (Kidding)

Last edited:
Mrs Buffett and I watched Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes on Friday night at Hard Rock in AC.

What a show!

It was in a venue with half seats and half open floor where people can dance, drink and party. That's where we were!

Southside Johney grew up with Springstein in NJ, they're good friends, Springstein made it big and Johnny didn't.

Well they were great! Springstein and George Thorogood music style!
They played for over two hours and everyone had fun.

If they're in your area its a must see!

She loves you, yah yah yah

I want to hold your hand

They became stars after that? Sure they grew later, but that drivel made them stars or was it the hairdo or novelty?

Whatever, they crowded out all existing American music. It took disco to MAGA!! (Kidding)

We went to a Neil Sedaka show a few years ago.

Yes he's old, but a very talented musician, singer, and song writer.

He explained the Beatles shut down many American and other singers/bands.

Neil made a living writing songs until the " stupid" Beatle mania died down and became rich again writing and singing again!

The Beatles did shutdown a lot of music which is fine its the Free Market and people get to choose!

I'm not a Beatles fan!

We've been to Beach Boys concerts and they went head to head with the Beatles.

I am a Beach Boys fan!

Mrs Buffett and I watched Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes on Friday night at Hard Rock in AC.

What a show!

It was in a venue with half seats and half open floor where people can dance, drink and party. That's where we were!

Southside Johney grew up with Springstein in NJ, they're good friends, Springstein made it big and Johnny didn't.

We're off to Hartwood Acres. B.B. King Blues Band. If B.B shows up.....I'm out of there.

Chuckle at those who have in their minds that the Beatles and Stones, or the Beatles and Beach Boys etc were some kind of bitter rivals. Yes the success and innovation of one gave some incentive to the others to try to top it. But it wasn't like the U.S. vs the Soviets or even the Steelers vs the Ravens or such. They were buddies, especially the former two groups. John and Paul wrote the Stones first hit, and some of the Stones did background vocals on Beatles tunes like All You Need Is Love. Mike Love of the Beach Boys was with the Beatles on their trip to India. Etc. Etc.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Chuckle at those who have in their minds that the Beatles and Stones, or the Beatles and Beach Boys etc were some kind of bitter rivals. Yes the success and innovation of one gave some incentive to the others to try to top it. But it wasn't like the U.S. vs the Soviets or even the Steelers vs the Ravens or such. They were buddies, especially the former two groups. John and Paul wrote the Stones first hit, and some of the Stones did background vocals on Beatles tunes like All You Need Is Love. Mike Love of the Beach Boys were with the Beatles on their trip to India. Etc. Etc.

Sorta !
We just went to the Beachboys show at Hard Rock AC a few weeks ago.

The shows are great with the new fill-ins and video of the Beach Boys from day 1. The Beachboy shows today are a combo of video, music and talk as Mike Love provides a history of the Beachboys from day, hour # 1.

Mike Love actually went into the India trip invite in detail.
He said on stage the Beachboys were invited to India AND when they got there the Beatles were there?
They didn't go together or plan to meet there.
Mike Love said during the show he and the Beachboys expected to be the only band there.
As he explained back in the day of peace and love, and lots of weed they got along ok.

Mike Love went on to explain they got along but were deadly music competitors!

Go to a Beachboys show, they're touring right now, its worth every penny, lots of music videa and talk from Mike Love!

We're off to Hartwood Acres. B.B. King Blues Band. If B.B shows up.....I'm out of there.
Fun evening. B.B.'s 16th child sings with the band...she was OK, but the band was outstanding. Beautiful night, great venue, big, family-oriented crowd. went with our former neighbors, good food & wine. A Pittsburgh treasure that deserves more attention.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's possible to overrate the Beatles.
The Beatles are another group. I respect their talent. Awesome talent. Look at not just their success as a group, but the 4 members even as solo careers. Their impact is just...I mean, it is gargantuan, likely more than any group. And I don't dislike them, but I was never a big fan. I admire the Beatles, I respect them as much as any, but I also do not own any Beatles music.

What a show!

I saw Southside Johnny back in 1973, and then bought their debut album. Really liked them. I think I probably bought Bruce’s debut album “Greetings From Asbury Park” because I saw the words “Asbury Park” on it. But, then the music totally blew me away.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The Beatles are another group. I respect their talent. Awesome talent. Look at not just their success as a group, but the 4 members even as solo careers. Their impact is just...I mean, it is gargantuan, likely more than any group. And I don't dislike them, but I was never a big fan. I admire the Beatles, I respect them as much as any, but I also do not own any Beatles music.

Yeah maybe my use of overrated was the wrong word. I respect what the Beatles did. But I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d voluntarily listen to their music if I have other options available. It just never connected with me.

I think my admiration of the Beatles is tempered because I have read and learned too much about them, and i'm a fairly conservative person, so i was always dismayed that they let fame and privilege and drugs cloud (often literally) their judgement and ethic in the later years. I do know it was part of the era and all that. But I do think they (along with George Martin) were geniuses but indulged themselves way too much. And yes i know that the indulgences often led to brilliance, but frankly to a good bit of schlock too, especially with the White Album, a good bit of Let It Be and then their respective solo works. At least they pulled it together (mostly) for Abbey Road.

I love and respect much of what they did accomplish, but have always felt they left a lot on the table due to the willingness to be so self indulged by fame and then the stubbornness to refuse to ever work together in the 70s, instead mostly putting out solo garbage.

Again that's likely because I know WAY too much about them, unlike any other artist I enjoy. And I fully admit I probably would have handled that craziness they dealt with much much worse.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's possible to overrate the Beatles.

Fair enough. I totally get it. They've just never connected for me. My parents listened to a lot more Zeppelin and Stones than Beatles so I just never got into them as a kid. By the time I was a musician and developing my owns tastes I just... couldn't!

I never listen to kiss for some magical introspective lyrics lol. I think they just built this aura of having fun and not giving a f***. It worked for sure. Paul Stanley may stand only behind Freddie and Robert in terms of Vocal frontman ability, but he had a guitar in his hand too and created some memorable riffs w Ace

As much as I like and respect Kiss and Paul Stanley, I would not include him even in a list of top 100 frontmen, especially if vocal ability is the standard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT