ADVERTISEMENT

Our Program is built for a run

Macchiato

Freshman
Oct 15, 2017
I was looking over our depth chart for next season. We have all 3 running backs returning with Davis, Abandikanda and Hammonds. Our TE position looks promising with Barthlomew. Our WR are Addison, Braden and Wayne. We could lose two on the offensive line.

The defense is talented and has depth. The line has Baldonado , Kancey, Green, Morgan, Hayes, etc. Davis and Dennis are back at LB. the whole defensive backfield returns.

The biggest question mark is QB. Do we go with Patti who knows the system. Do we reward loyalty to the program. This benefits recruiting down the road. Is it an open camp battle between Patti and Beville? Do we reach out to transfers?

I said this last year that our depth of talent is getting better. That is why Pitt…despite always being an NFL pipeline in terms of top end players…never could quite put it together as a team. But I really think the talent is deeper down the roster and all over the field.

So with that said - you do whatever you need to do to put the best QB you can on the field. Internal Competition, recruiting, transfers, whatever it takes.

Last edited:
I said this last year that our depth of talent is getting better. That is what Pitt…despite always being an NFL pipeline…never could quite put it together. But I really think the talent is deeper down the roster and all over the field.

So with that said - you do whatever you need to do to put the best QB you can on the field. Internal Competition, recruiting, transfers, whatever it takes.
Narduzzi can't recruit...🙄

Well, as we have seen for several decades, QB play is one of the main factors in record. I think Patti looks pretty good honestly, I am not 'worried' about him. We have a decent stable, no Pickett of course, but I would expect at least a winning season or better

Reactions: DruidTM
I think you go out and find the most talented QB you can to make this a reload instead of a rebuild. Patti is okay, but that would be a HUGE dropoff from Pickett. Yarnell appears to be the future. Not sure if that starts next year or not.

Linebacker depth is also thinning out a bit. We might be in the mix for a transfer there if Bright doesn't come back.

I like the QBs as well. Yarnell could be a good one. But we could probably shift more to the run next year anyways.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Yarnell wins the job. When Coach Narduzzi was on the Jim Rome Show, he mentioned that they knew Pickett was good when he first ran the scout team, and later said something along the lines of, “we have another young guy on scout team, but I won’t get into that.”

Have to think he’s alluding to Yarnell there.

I think you go out and find the most talented QB you can to make this a reload instead of a rebuild. Patti is okay, but that would be a HUGE dropoff from Pickett. Yarnell appears to be the future. Not sure if that starts next year or not.

Linebacker depth is also thinning out a bit. We might be in the mix for a transfer there if Bright doesn't come back.

I think, if it's close, you want the young QB playing. Having consistency at starter for multiple years is huge. I like Patti but that means a new QB in each of the next two seasons.

I think, if it's close, you want the young QB playing. Having consistency at starter for multiple years is huge. I like Patti but that means a new QB in each of the next two seasons.

Yeah, I'd agree. I think it's harder for the coaches to see it that way, because they see someone who has put in four years of work awaiting his turn. But I just don't see it with Patti. He seems very competent but just not "next level" or something. He reminds me of the guys Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State always seem to have under center or something. I think he could theoretically play two more years after this one, but I wouldn't bet on that.

The nice thing is that whoever the QB is (I think you stay in house for the sake of culture) the RB, WR and TE situation is excellent for the next few years and the OLine has grown up for the most part. Narduzzi always has depth on D so the team is solid all around to help along a new QB. The first two games next year are tricky, but they are at home and against programs that have some instability compared to Pitt.

Whipple has said that it takes 3 years to fully understand and run his offense.

Next season, largely because of the OOC schedule, isn't a year to be breaking in a new QB. The following year's OOC is simply absurdly dumb and you definitely won't want to be breaking in a new QB.

Should they take a Hendon Hooker type- yeah. If not, next season is going to be a breaking in of a younger QB if Patti isn't head and shoulders better than Beville and Nate.

The staff has to do what it thinks is best but if they go after a grad transfer QB, it tells me the qb “depth” everyone talks about doesn’t exist.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I don’t think Davis will be back at LB lol but your point about depth stands

even this year, we had like 7 players drafted after last season and a few UDFA and come back with a big season

Not necessarily. If I have a reliable Nissan Altima, I'm not going to turn down a Ferrari if someone offers it to me.
I get that but who is the Ferrari? Don’t misunderstand me- I want the best possible guy regardless who it is. Just think that what the staff decides to do this offseason will tell us a lot about our qb room.

Also, who is going to be our OC? Does Whipple call it a career?

I was looking over our depth chart for next season. We have all 3 running backs returning with Davis, Abandikanda and Hammonds. Our TE position looks promising with Barthlomew. Our WR are Addison, Braden and Wayne. We could lose two on the offensive line.

The defense is talented and has depth. The line has Baldonado , Kancey, Green, Morgan, Hayes, etc. Davis and Dennis are back at LB. the whole defensive backfield returns.

The biggest question mark is QB. Do we go with Patti who knows the system. Do we reward loyalty to the program. This benefits recruiting down the road. Is it an open camp battle between Patti and Beville? Do we reach out to transfers?
We will lose four starters on the OL. Drexel, Houy, Minor and Warren are all seniors.

• Haha
What won't happen?
it's believed Drexel is def coming back. he didnt partake in sr day. everyone is saying huoy too but i dont think that's anything more than people just assuming it cause he probably wont get a sniff in the nfl.

They get the "Super senior" year of eligibility, 2020 doesnt count. NCAA gave all college athletes another year of eligibility cause of covid mucking up 2020. So if they want to come back, and Narduzzi wants them, they can come back just like guys like Campbell, Pine, Pickett, Mack, Petrishen did this year.

Only difference is, these super seniors will count under the 85 scholarship limit. Last year, the ncaa allowed all super seniors to not count under that limit. So in short, if they come back, that's one less incoming freshman recruit (or incoming transfer)..

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
it's believed Drexel is def coming back. he didnt partake in sr day. everyone is saying huoy too but i dont think that's anything more than people just assuming it cause he probably wont get a sniff in the nfl.

They get the "Super senior" year of eligibility, 2020 doesnt count. So if they want to come back, and Narduzzi wants them, they can come back just like guys like Campbell, Pine, Pickett, Mack, Petrishen did this year.

Only difference is, these super seniors will count under the 85 scholarship limit. Last year, the ncaa allowed all super seniors to not count under that limit. So in short, if they come back, that's one less incoming freshman recruit (or incoming transfer)..
Got it, thanks.

Hope you're right. How are they eligible to return?
Actually all 4 are eligible to return if they choose (Drexel, Houy, Warren, Minor). Warren was believed to be leaving for NFL earlier in the year, but then had some struggles. He was invited to the Senior Bowl, but has not accepted yet:

I think Warren is in the boat now of gathering information after the season and then making a decision. If he gets some feedback that he maybe drafted 4th-5th round, he may go, anything lower he may come back. I don't think there is any case where he gets 3rd or higher grade from scouts at the moment.

Davis is Gone …,,,Transfer Portal

Reactions: Chad40301
My only question about our returning talent is "Can we beat Miami" I say no. Though a lot of this past year I believe was the D wasn't ready for that first half. Was it talent or was it coaching. I am not sure. But I always feel we lack the talent to beat the U. A solid LB and Cover Corner would be great if we can find off the portal.

I think Patti or Beville will be fine at QB. They have the weapons. Love Barth (TE) but a compliment to him would be nice. OLine will be a ? and we don't have a lot of gimmes at the beginning of the year for them to gel. We really could go 1-3 in Non Conf play which will definitely kill our momentum.

I don’t think Davis will be back at LB lol but your point about depth stands

even this year, we had like 7 players drafted after last season and a few UDFA and come back with a big season
This year's draft was unusual in that FCS guys were playing in the spring so they couldn't enter the draft or get picked up as UDFAs unless they sat out their season. Same deal with D2 -- many D2 programs didn't play at all, some played a very limited number of games in the spring. I'm not so sure we get 7 drafted if it was a normal year.

Last edited:

ah youth...so full of enthusiasm for the future...so happy to be unaware of history with a sunny Pitt outlook...good for them...

Now, as for we old timers just as all seems right with the Panther world the Bumpasses' dogs are always on the Pitt porch ready to steal our wonderfully smelling future turkey on Christmas Day

Ideally we don’t have all the same players starting next year on the backend of the defense. We need some players to lose their jobs to more talented guys. Hopefully some transfers are brought in.

If a talent infusion comes in to help out the defense and QB works out, next year could be good.

Although next year could still be good even if none of that happens if the Coastal continues to be horrible.

NEVER REWARD LOYALTY, if you can get BETTER FLAT OUT TALENT

I think the super senior rule is also putting on some brakes for recruits until the staff can determine who is coming back and who is welcome back. The SS s do count agains the 85 next yr where they did not this yr.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT