ADVERTISEMENT

Our recruiting

Recruiting "experts" go off of raw talent. Coaches go after players that they know with fill a need for their football team, guys that are coachable , and will be team players. The transfers have been pretty much all 4 stars and that doesn't factor into anything if that makes you feel better.
Pitt does have a pretty good start for the 2024 class of kids that mostly where not heavily recruited yet when Pitt won 21 ACC Championship.

Reactions: Weavedog469
In every 2 year window there’s a probably a “Pitt” that has 20 wins in the two years.

And those programs today are still mid-3* type programs with the usual win level.

Why would Pitt be different than those teams?

It’s just not something that will have recruits sprinting to any program.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Another way to say it is..... our recruiting has gotten us 20 wins in the last two years.

That's a very myopic way to look at it. Those teams were built off past classes and benefitted from an extra year of eligibility (I know other teams got that, too, but it matters who benefitted from it the most), and that doesn't consider the competition.

Reactions: bdur76 and moose121
Of those twenty wins which do you think is the most impressive,

That's the thing. Those seasons were largely predicated on other teams being dumpster fires. Clemson was probably the most impressive. I think them and Wake are the only wins over teams that finished ranked, unless some poll still had UCLA in it at the end.

That's the thing. Those seasons were largely predicated on other teams being dumpster fires. Clemson was probably the most impressive. I think them and Wake are the only wins over teams that finished ranked, unless some poll still had UCLA in it at the end.
What about at Tennessee

UCLA was ranked ahead of Pitt!

I agree. Posters here will sugarcoat this issue, but recruiting needs to improve if Pitt wants to continue winning at the same rate. You only get a KP once every 20-30 years.

Also, there's a bit of an "if not now, when?" flavor to this. Like, if we're not going to take a step up in recruiting after winning an ACC championship, when will we? And I do get the fact that there are other variables influencing it.

I just think too many people are under this guise that Narduzzi has stumbled upon some magic formula and we're never looking back. As if the first six years of his tenure didn't happen or something. I mean, we went 6-5 in 2020 even with Pickett, Addison, two AA defensive ends, Hamlin, Mathis and Pinnock, etc., etc., etc. The smart money is against teams like Virginia Tech, Miami, UNC, Florida State, Louisville, etc. continuing to recruit at our level or above it yet perform worse than us.

Now, the 2024 class looks like it could be solid. We'll see if it stays that way. Hopefully it does.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
Also, there's a bit of an "if not now, when?" flavor to this. Like, if we're not going to take a step up in recruiting after winning an ACC championship, when will we? And I do get the fact that there are other variables influencing it.

I just think too many people are under this guise that Narduzzi has stumbled upon some magic formula and we're never looking back. As if the first six years of his tenure didn't happen or something. I mean, we went 6-5 in 2020 even with Pickett, Addison, two AA defensive ends, Hamlin, Mathis and Pinnock, etc., etc., etc. The smart money is against teams like Virginia Tech, Miami, UNC, Florida State, Louisville, etc. continuing to recruit at our level or above it yet perform worse than us.

Now, the 2024 class looks like it could be solid. We'll see if it stays that way. Hopefully it does.

I agree, and I'm not sure why others are disagreeing or taking offense. Coaching and program stability can only do so much. Miami, North Carolina and NC State of ALL picked up their recruiting. Pitt has been almost exactly the same. It's a problem. Even Louisville is seeing improvements on that front. Why can't Pitt?

I agree, and I'm not sure why others are disagreeing or taking offense. Coaching and program stability can only do so much. Miami, North Carolina and NC State of ALL picked up their recruiting. Pitt has been almost exactly the same. It's a problem. Even Louisville is seeing improvements on that front. Why can't Pitt?

Lville has some outsiders with deep pockets funding their NIL.

Recruiting "experts" go off of raw talent. Coaches go after players that they know with fill a need for their football team, guys that are coachable , and will be team players. The transfers have been pretty much all 4 stars and that doesn't factor into anything if that makes you feel better.
Pitt does have a pretty good start for the 2024 class of kids that mostly where not heavily recruited yet when Pitt won 21 ACC Championship.

The transfers were 4* high school players.

None were 4* transfers.

When a ton of money comes.

No program is going into other states and winning recruiting battles for legit 4* recruits without a bunch of money behind it.

Money for facilities. Money for elite recruiters. And money for fat NIL packages.

Winning at best means the recruit will at least pick up the phone when you call. But it’s not going to close anything.

Reactions: PantherDDS
That's a very myopic way to look at it. Those teams were built off past classes and benefitted from an extra year of eligibility (I know other teams got that, too, but it matters who benefitted from it the most), and that doesn't consider the competition.
It's not myopic, it's what happened. It's what happens when you build a fairly solid roster that can overcome injuries, players leaving, etc.. Pitt won 20 games because they did that. Your right, everyone benefitted from the extra year. I don't know anyone that can quantify who benefitted most.

The OP is once again trolling. He then shifted gears to which win was most impressive.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
The transfers were 4* high school players.

None were 4* transfers.
So what makes a player a 4 Star player coming out of high school? Is it talent? Is it the production he had at the high school level? Is it potential? I’m interested in your answer. I’m sure it will be just as fascinating as always…

“I don’t know”
“What does that mean?”
“I guess”
“I have no idea”
“What?”

So what makes a player a 4 Star player coming out of high school? Is it talent? Is it the production he had at the high school level? Is it potential? I’m interested in your answer. I’m sure it will be just as fascinating as always…

“I don’t know”
“What does that mean?”
“I guess”
“I have no idea”
“What?”

I’m sure a lot of the above. But a 247 evaluation primer would probably be a better starting point for you if you’re genuinely interested.

clemson win in 2021. at Tenn last year too.

i'd say those two without looking thru the schedule.

I'd say:

1. Clemson
2. UCLA (although this might actually be one, considering who we were missing)
3. Wake Forest
4. Pretty close to a tie between Duke '22/Tennessee '21/Virginia '21

I mean, it's been far from a gauntlet, and that's kind of been my concern. Ever since those 2020 blowouts against Notre Dame and Clemson, we haven't really beat really good teams as much as we've avoided them.

stinks. Twenty wins in two years should get us better than the 8th best class in the ACC and 51 overall. I maybe wrong about the HCPN he may do more with less than any coach
He is in year 8 and the last two seasons saw them get 10 wins and the ACC title and 9 wins and J6 bowl win.

Given the goal of recruiting it so get the players you need to win games, whatever recruiting may be, it definitely does not stink.

stinks. Twenty wins in two years should get us better than the 8th best class in the ACC and 51 overall. I maybe wrong about the HCPN he may do more with less than any coach
I'd rather have a coach that does more with less than the host of coaches that draw huge paychecks and have giant recruiting budgets that end up having pretty average returns.

Let’s face it-the 2021 team was a one time outlier due to a variety of one time circumstances that lined up in Pitt’s favor. We regressed to the Narduzzi mean immediately in 2022. 8-4 regular season with a soft conference schedule and a WTF loss or two. One team that finished the season ranked-and it was very close, but they beat us.

The 2021 team was outstanding and had a fantastic year. The 2022 team, decent but not great. So I’ll hold off on the 20 win chest thumping.

Anyone who thinks that any of this shows that the recruiting is up to snuff is delusional.

Anyone who thinks that any of this shows that the recruiting is up to snuff is delusional.
It certainly doesn't mean it was bad, either. Not often you pluck a true freshman TE out of some backwater and he contributes right away. That kind of recruit is way more valuable than the vaunted 4-star that can't crack the lineup and transfers out in two years.

PedU Troll
I’m a troll because I feel our recruiting should be better. I thought it made for good conversation. I have always Ali’s heard you don’t see results from a championship until two years after. I’d like to see us jump into the 30’s this year

Let’s face it-the 2021 team was a one time outlier due to a variety of one time circumstances that lined up in Pitt’s favor. We regressed to the Narduzzi mean immediately in 2022. 8-4 regular season with a soft conference schedule and a WTF loss or two. One team that finished the season ranked-and it was very close, but they beat us.

The 2021 team was outstanding and had a fantastic year. The 2022 team, decent but not great. So I’ll hold off on the 20 win chest thumping.

The thread title is recruiting stinks. What recruiting is "up to snuff" for Pitt? What are legitimate expectations without some huge influx of money?

Pitt plays a similar schedule to most in their conference. Pitt is second most in wins since joining the ACC.

Recruiting stinks, coaching stinks, schedule stinks, attendance stinks, just happened to be lucky. It's always the same tripe.

The thread title is recruiting stinks. What recruiting is "up to snuff" for Pitt? What are legitimate expectations without some huge influx of money?

Pitt plays a similar schedule to most in their conference. Pitt is second most in wins since joining the ACC.

Recruiting stinks, coaching stinks, schedule stinks, attendance stinks, just happened to be lucky. It's always the same tripe.
You forgot a few. The AD. The color of the seats. Location of the stadium. The song they play during TV timeouts. On and on...

Reactions: ThePanthers
You forgot a few. The AD. The color of the seats. Location of the stadium. The song they play during TV timeouts. On and on...
Yup. They sound like a bunch of low IQ old women at the old folks home begging the young handsome orderly to give them a sponge bath….It’s sickening…

Reactions: pittdan77
I don't know, I've really enjoyed the last 2 seasons, and quite honestly, outside of maybe one or two seasons, I've enjoyed Narduzzi's tenure.

Pitt isn't ever going to be a blueblood type program. We may be able to hit the highs we did in the late 70s/early 80s for short spurts, but that is going to become even more increasingly difficult in today's world where the gaps from the top programs continue to widen.

People keep bringing up "luck" or "we had players with extra years!!!" etc. You know what, so did everyone else, but we took advantage of that situation.

We aren't going to kill it in recruiting. We play in a half empty stadium in a city where we are a second thought. We are not in some college town where the team IS the town. But you know what, I think the staff has done wonders with who we do recruit, and we are a competitive team now, game in and game out, even the ones we lose.

So if some people want to piss and moan, and not enjoy this, that's their loss. I'm not going to be ashamed that somethign good has happened to the team I root for. Look at the MBB team the past 6 years. At any moment, things can fall of a cliff, and that is true for all programs outside of a small handful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT