ADVERTISEMENT

Our recruiting

My only criticism of the recruiting is with the local kids. Look at Cole Sullivan. His recruiting is blowing up and Pitt hasn't offered. Then we will complain when he commits with a rival team. We should offer our backyard early and we can always pull back on our interest.

Recruiting is very mediocre. Yes, the coaches and find and develop talent, but if Pitt wants to keep up with the other teams in the ACC, recruiting needs to start improving. The truth.

Recruiting is very mediocre. Yes, the coaches and find and develop talent, but if Pitt wants to keep up with the other teams in the ACC, recruiting needs to start improving. The truth.
Recruiting is always important. However, how do you measure a recruiting class? Is it how many 4 Star players you get? Or is it wins & loses, all conference players, all American players? I think Narduzzi has earned the benefit of the doubt based on lightly recruited players he brought into the program that went on to be outstanding players (Pickett, Bartholomew, Dennis, among others)

Should recruiting be better? Always. The best cure is winning. I already made this point on another thread that most of the bellyachers didn’t comment on. Jurkovec, Davis and McMillon all commented that winning the ACC title changed their perception of Pitt.

Even when Pitt was winning under Sherrill, Pitt was doing well with the big time local recruits, but that was it. Most of the other stars that he got were players he and the coaches scouted and brought in from other areas: Green, Doleman, Maas, among others were lightly recruited. Sunseri was lightly recruited. He went to Tulsa before he walked on at Pitt and earned a scholarship. Grimm was recruited as a QB.

We were kicking ass in recruiting under Gottfried. Where did that get us?

Of those twenty wins which do you think is the most impressive,
The wins were impressive enough to finished in the top 25 both years. Same can’t be said for Miami or NC. You’re either a blithering idiot, or a trolling turd…

Beat it or STHU…

Reactions: FireballZ
The wins were impressive enough to finished in the top 25 both years. Same can’t be said for Miami or NC. You’re either a blithering idiot, or a trolling turd…

Beat it or STHU…
Or I'm happy about the wins and honestly wanted to know which one was the best

Recruiting is always important. However, how do you measure a recruiting class? Is it how many 4 Star players you get? Or is it wins & loses, all conference players, all American players? I think Narduzzi has earned the benefit of the doubt based on lightly recruited players he brought into the program that went on to be outstanding players (Pickett, Bartholomew, Dennis, among others)

Should recruiting be better? Always. The best cure is winning. I already made this point on another thread that most of the bellyachers didn’t comment on. Jurkovec, Davis and McMillon all commented that winning the ACC title changed their perception of Pitt.

Even when Pitt was winning under Sherrill, Pitt was doing well with the big time local recruits, but that was it. Most of the other stars that he got were players he and the coaches scouted and brought in from other areas: Green, Doleman, Maas, among others were lightly recruited. Sunseri was lightly recruited. He went to Tulsa before he walked on at Pitt and earned a scholarship. Grimm was recruited as a QB.

We were kicking ass in recruiting under Gottfried. Where did that get us?

If perceptions among players and recruits have changed about Pitt, then why hasn't recruiting improved?

Or I'm happy about the wins and honestly wanted to know which one was the best
AH BULL$H*T!!!

End results is what counts. Just because you went on a date with Megan Fox, doesn’t mean you got laid…

Two top 25 finishes. END OF STORY.

It certainly doesn't mean it was bad, either. Not often you pluck a true freshman TE out of some backwater and he contributes right away. That kind of recruit is way more valuable than the vaunted 4-star that can't crack the lineup and transfers out in two years.
But it takes a minimum of about 50 players to play the game. The occasional Diamond in the rough is great, but you need overall team personnel quality. And I know some prefer to think that every Pitt coach of the past 25 years has had some kind of magic eye that nobody else has, but every other program has a couple of those recruiting finds too.

Let me ask you this-what about the numerous 4 star busts we’ve had over the years? The coaches got the credit for bringing them in-shouldn’t they also get the blame when they bust?

The perception change has just started. It takes time. Keep winning…. Maybe hire a couple of young recruiters…

That's a fair answer. But... there currently has been zero recruiting improvement. In fact, it's actually decreased slightly each of the last year years. So at some point it needs to start getting better.

Recruiting isn’t going to change because of perception. There is no “perception.”

And the staff doesn’t have some secret decoder ring when it comes to talent.

People demanding there be some big upswing in recruiting after an 8 win regular are being unrealistic.

And people thinking that the 3* wave is going to keep going because the last two seasons produced a really good season and a solid season, are being unrealistic.

Stop expecting or demanding that which just isn’t going to happen. And enjoy the run. Pat Fitzgerald went from a nice little run to fans starting to turn the heat up on him.
The run was never going to change Northwestern.
But worrying too much about a few years from now is going to make you miss the good times.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Would be nice to see recruiting improve and we are off to a nice start for 2024. The one thing I will say for recruiting, outside of maybe OL and WR, is that even though they are mostly all three star players, they produce. Under Narduzzi, over his tenure, the quality of the roster overall has improved. I believe we have an edge on most teams due to our depth, and explains why we have the 2nd most wins in the ACC over his time here.
DUZZ is recruiting good players, and he is perfect for our program. I, for one, am happy with the last two years even though this past year could have been much better. If he continues to recruit solid players, we should win 8 or more each year and that should keep this fan base satisfied considering what we've been through over the years.

Recruiting isn’t going to change because of perception. There is no “perception.”

People demanding there be some big upswing in recruiting after an 8 win regular are being unrealistic.

And people thinking that the 3* wave is going to keep going because the last two seasons produced a really good season and a solid season, are being unrealistic.

Stop expecting or demanding that which just isn’t going to happen. And enjoy the run. Pat Fitzgerald went from a nice little run to fans starting to turn the heat up on him.
But worrying too much about a few years from now is going to make you miss the good times.
So according to you…

We should be satisfied with the little success that Pitt has had over the last couple of years and enjoy it while we can. Right?

If we disagree we’re being ”unrealistic”.

Winning does not cure all.

Winning will not change perception.

In order to overtake teams like Miami & UNC, Narduzzi needs to bring in more 4 star players.

Unless of course they are transfer 4 Star players. Which means they aren’t 4 Star players any longer. So no need to be excited about Davis, McMillon and Jurkvec….

And you wonder why posters think you’re a troll….

Get a life son. You ain’t that smart….

Last edited:
I refuse to believe it's all about money and we're slotted into the 50th spot until the end of time. All I've ever wanted was for us to be around that 35th spot. I think that's a fair expectation for Pitt. And I think it can be done with the right coaches in place. We've done it in 2016 and 2017. And we've had some even higher per player rankings in some smaller classes. I know NIL is a thing now, but add another 4 star to this class and we're damn close to that number. It's not unrealistic.

Also, average player star rating is a flawed statistic if you're using Rivals. A 5.5 3-star and a 5.7 3-star get the same number of points in that calculation. But 5.7 guys are often blue blood recruits, while 5.5 guys are often G5 recruits.

stinks. Twenty wins in two years should get us better than the 8th best class in the ACC and 51 overall. I maybe wrong about the HCPN he may do more with less than any coach
Ohhh... it feels so good to put your idiocy on IGNORE!! Buh bye.

Would be nice to see recruiting improve and we are off to a nice start for 2024. The one thing I will say for recruiting, outside of maybe OL and WR, is that even though they are mostly all three star players, they produce. Under Narduzzi, over his tenure, the quality of the roster overall has improved. I believe we have an edge on most teams due to our depth, and explains why we have the 2nd most wins in the ACC over his time here.
DUZZ is recruiting good players, and he is perfect for our program. I, for one, am happy with the last two years even though this past year could have been much better. If he continues to recruit solid players, we should win 8 or more each year and that should keep this fan base satisfied considering what we've been through over the years.
You're exactly right yes our recruiting could be better,but I've come to accept that narduzzi has built a nice stable program here it's not Georgia or Alabama but it's become respectable

Reactions: Pittisit4me
So according to you…

We should be satisfied with the little success that Pitt has had over the last couple of years and enjoy it while we can. Right?

If we disagree we’re being ”unrealistic”.

Winning does not cure all.

Winning will not change perception.

In order to overtake teams like Miami & UNC, Narduzzi needs to bring in more 4 star players.

Unless of course they are transfer 4 Star players. Which means they aren’t 4 Star players any longer. So no need to be excited about Davis, McMillon and Jurkvec….

And you wonder why posters think you’re a troll….

Get a life son. You ain’t that smart….

Yea.

I think in order to become a next tier program, one would need next tier recruiting.

I don’t think next tier recruiting is coming.

I don’t blame Narduzzi for that. I don’t think he’s failing to take advantage of the 2022 season on the trail. As if there is some coach that would have.

Yes, those players are no longer 4* players. As 247 now has them as 3* players, due to how they have performed in college.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdur76
I refuse to believe it's all about money and we're slotted into the 50th spot until the end of time. All I've ever wanted was for us to be around that 35th spot. I think that's a fair expectation for Pitt. And I think it can be done with the right coaches in place. We've done it in 2016 and 2017.

But the right coaches aren’t free. Could a Cristobal or Shane Beamer or Kirby Smart or Deion come in and bring in their staff and have an uptick in recruiting? Sure.

But those are also the elite recruiters of college football. They would hire a staff of those kind of guys as well. They would demand the school make certain investment and resource guarantees before they ever signed on the dotted line.

Where is that money coming from?

But the right coaches aren’t free. Could a Cristobal or Shane Beamer or Kirby Smart or Deion come in and bring in their staff and have an uptick in recruiting? Sure.

But those are also the elite recruiters of college football. They would hire a staff of those kind of guys as well. They would demand the school make certain investment and resource guarantees before they ever signed on the dotted line.

Where is that money coming from?

It doesn't take an elite recruiter or a major NIL collective to haul in the 35th best recruiting claas in the country. Hell, we'd have been 39 if we held onto Minchey.

It doesn't take an elite recruiter or a major NIL collective to haul in the 35th best recruiting claas in the country. Hell, we'd have been 39 if we held onto Minchey.

So if we had just beat out Freeman and Rees, a HC and OC both regarded as top tier recruiters, and beat out ND, a historic top tier program, we would have the kind of recruiting you’re talking about?

You know what you need to go head to head with Freeman and Rees and ND on the recruiting trail and win? Money. To buy the type of coaches that can go head to head with Freeman and Rees on the trail.

I’d rather have a coach that hasn’t averaged 5 losses per season over his career. I’d rather have a coach that hasn’t gone 2-4 in bowl games in his career.
Sorry for being an optimist. I forgot my audience for a moment.

Agree for the most part with this. Perception will only help incrementally, maybe more so with transfers. It won't be significant, and I think most believe there probably isn't a whole lot of difference between class 35 or class 50. If you want a big jump in recruiting it's gonna cost $$$.

They need to continue to build a solid roster and then when you find a Pickett and/or an Addison you need to take advantage of it.

So if we had just beat out Freeman and Rees, a HC and OC both regarded as top tier recruiters, and beat out ND, a historic top tier program, we would have the kind of recruiting you’re talking about?

You know what you need to go head to head with Freeman and Rees and ND on the recruiting trail and win? Money. To buy the type of coaches that can go head to head with Freeman and Rees on the trail.

So we didn't beat out any quality schools and/or recruiters for any of our recruits?

Amd every team that finished ahead of us in the recruiting rankings spends more than us?

Again, it's not only not impossible for Pitt to recruit in the 35th range nationally, but it's actually quite reasonable.

Agree for the most part with this. Perception will only help incrementally, maybe more so with transfers.

And the thing about transfers, is it isn’t the same type of recruiting.

High school recruits are like brides to be. They fall in love with the process, because they look at it like it was ordained by god or providence as to where you will go. Like a woman with a wedding dress. “There’s a dress out there that is ‘your’ dress, and you’re suppose to find it. And when you do, you’ll know this was the dress you were *meant* to be married in.”

That’s how high school recruits frequently talk about the recruiting process. The elite recruiters are the ones capable of really playing into that and also fall in love with the process as coaches, and sell recruits on the vision that their school is the wedding dress that the recruit’s journey was meant to lead them to.

Transfer recruiting isn’t like that at all. It’s business and frequently combined with a little desperation.
Transfers are like the 45 year old woman that has already been married and has some grown kids out of the house. She’s not romanticizing any of it. “Lets just go down to the courthouse and get this over with.”

It’s two completely different worlds. Any alleged success related to one, isn’t indicative of success in the other.

Mike Norvell is a perfect example of that. Florida State has absolutely dominated the transfer portal the last 2 years. Getting legit 4* transfer guys. Like the best of the best. Dudes that can play anywhere.

And at the same time just gets his ass kicked on the high school recruiting trail by everybody.

Which is why the dude on Cover 3 that covers the Noles thinks FSU is set up to have a special season in 2023, and doesn’t know if Norvell will survive 2025.

And the reason is because it’s two completely different sales pitches.

So we didn't beat out any quality schools and/or recruiters for any of our recruits?

Amd every team that finished ahead of us in the recruiting rankings spends more than us?

Again, it's not only not impossible for Pitt to recruit in the 35th range nationally, but it's actually quite reasonable.

I’m not saying that.

But what does beat out mean?

A recruit was like 5th on say ND’s RB board and was recruited as such, and number one on our board and recruited as such?

Proximity matters as well. I’m sure there are teams ahead of us that spend the same amount. But are probably closer to talent hubs.

NC State can maybe spend the same amount and have a better class for no other reason than NC State is in the heat of the south.

I’m not saying that.

But what does beat out mean?

A recruit was like 5th on say ND’s RB board and was recruited as such, and number one on our board and recruited as such?

Proximity matters as well. I’m sure there are teams ahead of us that spend the same amount. But are probably closer to talent hubs.

NC State can maybe spend the same amount and have a better class for no other reason than NC State is in the heat of the south.

But what does beat out mean?”

More confusion…

Reactions: cashisking884
I mean, we can play this game with most of the Top 10, as very few play a "gauntlet". Who in the wondrous Rose Bowl champs season for PSU is an impressive win? Seriously? Utah was a decent win, but that's about it. How about the vaunted Crimson Tide? What would you call a "good win" last season?

I’m not sure you can do that over the two year window.

The counter would probably also be the losses. Bama doesn’t have a directional Michigan school in the L column.

I would just like to be in front of a terrible Virginia Tech team in recruiting. I don't think that is asking a lot
Quit being a stupid troll. Recruiting success is measured down the road, not on LOI Day. Pitt has been much better on the field over the last few years….That’s what counts and you know it…

Take stupidity somewhere else. cashisking884 has already got the that covered….

Reading a lot of these posts, you would never think that Pitt is coming off of two straight top 25 finishes and has two 4 star kids committed already for the 2024 class. And an RB that looks like their best RB recruit since the guy that just turned pro after an All-American season. Guess that the start for 2024 is not good enough based off of the prior seasons.

Reading a lot of these posts, you would never think that Pitt is coming off of two straight top 25 finishes and has two 4 star kids committed already for the 2024 class. And an RB that looks like their best RB recruit since the guy that just turned pro after an All-American season. Guess that the start for 2024 is not good enough based off of the prior seasons.
They’re trolls pretending to be rational and realistic Pitt fans. It’s an old sham that works for awhile then it finally loses steam and their true motivation is revealed….

Last edited:
stinks. Twenty wins in two years should get us better than the 8th best class in the ACC and 51 overall. I maybe wrong about the HCPN he may do more with less than any coach

Has been better than the majority of P5 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT