ADVERTISEMENT

Overdoing it a bit? (Or exactly how much dirt do you need to throw on Slovis?)

No….. After watching Slovis film all last year, Jurkovec probably looks like Dan Marino to him….

Has a guy who admittedly called Kenny Pickett garbage his first three years here I will say as much as I wanted to hate this kid he will be a stabilizing force, and he’ll play good enough to win us more games than lose them. However, what I do want to see is him make some throws with zip. I haven’t seen him do that yet.

Maybe it’s more on Cig and the players around Jurkovec…but he shares in this: the offense (going back to last year as well) largely just seems so … non-intimidating. Doesn’t seem to put an ounce of stress on the defense.

Mechanically he did some things well, some not so well, but my overall gripe is that winning a game … hell, just a TD or even a FG drive … for this offense is going to be a grim drudgery, not a joyous, raucous event. Like, well, how 2021 and 2016 were. (Sad that our best offensive seasons are so few and far between.)

I was hoping for more from PJ and Cig … maybe it is yet to come…

Maybe it’s more on Cig and the players around Jurkovec…but he shares in this: the offense (going back to last year as well) largely just seems so … non-intimidating. Doesn’t seem to put an ounce of stress on the defense.
A lot of pretty good players but Pitt rarely has the luxury of multiple playmakers. Hammond could be a guy like that but ideally you have a couple more.

i put him in my "pay no mind" list next to such irrelevant names max browne, ricky towne, and Yellen

dont want them to fail, could care less if they do good, out of sight out of mind..

The funny thing about Pickett is that no one here will probably ever even have the chance to be him again. Because he needed every one of those developmental seasons. In the past, if you thought Veilleux could be really good moving forward, you'd let him take his lumps this year since it's somewhat of a transition year anyway. Now, you're probably afraid to have a 5-7 season because of who might leave if you do.

It's kind of like the Steelers draft paradox for all those years (never sucked enough to have a high pick; never were much of a threat to win anything).

The funny thing about Pickett is that no one here will probably ever even have the chance to be him again. Because he needed every one of those developmental seasons. In the past, if you thought Veilleux could be really good moving forward, you'd let him take his lumps this year since it's somewhat of a transition year anyway. Now, you're probably afraid to have a 5-7 season because of who might leave if you do.

It's kind of like the Steelers draft paradox for all those years (never sucked enough to have a high pick; never were much of a threat to win anything).
good point, we are never going to see a QB at pitt play 4 (or 5) years as a starting qb at pitt. just will never happen again..

hope to eventually get someone at qb who will actually play more than one would be a good start..

Slovis does suck really bad, Jurk looked awesome compared to a typical Slovis game, even at BYU he's pitiful.

The flip side is it took Pickett 3 mediocre seasons before finally clicking in 21.

The theory is not a bad one, of getting a former 5 star guy who had been buried on the depth chart at a bigger program, who might then step right in and excel here without waiting patiently for him to get his sucky seasons out of the way. The issue is that many of the 5 stars were busts for a reason at their previous schools, and the ‘experts’ who assign those stars are anything but.

That said, the difference here with Jurk is that he had put in an entire season, and a somewhat effective one, with our current OC. So there was at least some sound logic that he might be quickly effective.

The flip side is it took Pickett 3 mediocre seasons before finally clicking in 21.

The theory is not a bad one, of getting a former 5 star guy who had been buried on the depth chart at a bigger program, who might then step right in and excel here without waiting patiently for him to get his sucky seasons out of the way. The issue is that many of the 5 stars were busts and the ‘experts’ Who assign the stars are anything but.

I think Pickett was really good in 2020 - it just didn't translate to the stats sheet for whatever reason. He definitely left a lot to be desired in '18 and '19, but we weren't doing him many favors (pass blocking sucked in '18; couldn't run in '19; receivers mostly sucked both seasons).

But your point remains. There's definitely some give and take. And if we do find somebody who sets the world ablaze as a freshman QB, he wouldn't stick around long.

The theory is not a bad one, of getting a former 5 star guy who had been buried on the depth chart at a bigger program, who might then step right in and excel here without waiting patiently for him to get his sucky seasons out of the way. The issue is that many of the 5 stars were busts for a reason at their previous schools, and the ‘experts’ who assign those stars are anything but.

That said, the difference here with Jurk is that he had put in an entire season, and a somewhat effective one, with our current OC. So there was at least some sound logic that he might be quickly effective.
I don't think you can generalize. Guys like Priestley, Peterman, and Savage were more than adequate for Pitt. John Turman was a JUCO, I think, but also did just fine. And, yes, he had a very talented sister.

I don't think you can generalize. Guys like Priestley, Peterman, and Savage were more than adequate for Pitt. John Turman was a JUCO, I think, but also did just fine. And, yes, he had a very talented sister.
FYI: Did you know that Billy Osborn married John Turman's sister (Jamie)? Lucky guy....

Slovis does suck really bad, Jurk looked awesome compared to a typical Slovis game, even at BYU he's pitiful.
Willing to bet Slover would have looked just dandy against the Woffles. Woffles' record over the past 3 years under the watchful eye of former Pitt DC Josh Conklin: a robust 5-22 with 1 total win in the bruising Southern Conference.

That is a pitiful opponent and program.

I think Pickett was really good in 2020 - it just didn't translate to the stats sheet for whatever reason. He definitely left a lot to be desired in '18 and '19, but we weren't doing him many favors (pass blocking sucked in '18; couldn't run in '19; receivers mostly sucked both seasons).

But your point remains. There's definitely some give and take. And if we do find somebody who sets the world ablaze as a freshman QB, he wouldn't stick around long.
Watson didn't do KP any favors, that's for sure.

Reactions: gary2
Willing to bet Slover would have looked just dandy against the Woffles. Woffles' record over the past 3 years under the watchful eye of former Pitt DC Josh Conklin: a robust 5-22 with 1 total win in the bruising Southern Conference.

That is a pitiful opponent and program.
Who cares, he still sucks, nothing wrong with saying it.

Right.....I never did understand all the love given Jurkovec
He gets no body into his throws. Often throws off back foot, leaning back.Gun shy?

No wonder so many are short.

I’ll never understand how these high paid coaches are lazy and don’t wanna develop young quarterbacks. The reward for developing young quarterbacks is huge and the fact that Cignetti keeps wanting to get these transfers instead of imprinting his philosophy on a young guy is very telling. Maybe it means that he can’t get any of the young guys to buy into what he’s selling and that’s not a good sign.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT