ADVERTISEMENT

PA Residents

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Please sign a petition to get the liquor stores back open in PA.

It will be two weeks. One thing, there has never been a safer time for alcohol consumption in PA as most of us are sheltered somewhat in place, we are not driving under the influence going to bars or restaurants.

But because of the PA's antiquated liquor distribution system, while we can buy some beer or wine, we can not buy liquor. This is absolutely illogical.

Sign please. Donate if you want.

I’m not a liquor drinker, but it has always perplexed me why it is so simple to buy beer, wine and spirits in other states, but not in PA. Do the beer distributors have a powerful lobby? Why is PA the only state in the country with liquor laws like this?

I’m not a liquor drinker, but it has always perplexed me why it is so simple to buy beer, wine and spirits in other states, but not in PA. Do the beer distributors have a powerful lobby? Why is PA the only state in the country with liquor laws like this?
PLCB......are............................UNION EMPLOYEES! That's it. That's why. We have to protect these union jobs at all costs.

So....it is easy, just like your supermarket brethren that are union, go to work and open the stores.

Yes
It’s because of the confluence of lobbyist and prudes

Can anyone tell me if any area golf courses are open, whether in Allegheny or surrounding counties?

Yes
It’s because of the confluence of lobbyist and prudes
More than that. Wolf is beholden to his state employees. This isn't just about lobbyists and prudes.

The Commonwealth of PA should NOT be in the business of selling alcohol. I don't care what side of the aisle you identify with - this is ridiculous and has been for decades.

Oh, so now my hoarding of fine Irish whiskey looks like a pretty damn good call, doesn’t it?
I stocked up on this, the mrs vodka.
Went in the friday wolfe started pulling the plug.
Saw half a dozen people with carts in the store.
Never had seen one before.

Reactions: pittdan77
More than that. Wolf is beholden to his state employees. This isn't just about lobbyists and prudes.

The Commonwealth of PA should NOT be in the business of selling alcohol. I don't care what side of the aisle you identify with - this is ridiculous and has been for decades.
Wolf has loosened it more than anyone else in 40 years - so it’s silly to target him

PA has the second worst liquor laws in the US - suck it, Utah!
PA has the second worst liquor laws in the US - suck it, Utah!
Utah is weird because of the cap on draft beer-
But you can order a bottle of some high alcohol stuff in the same bar and they’ll pour it in a glass .

salt lake has some great breweries

But in defense of Wolf, he has moved forward more than any other previous governor some of the draconian laws like Sundays, Beer/Wine in grocery stores, home delivery of wine clubs.....so he has at least shown a willingness and an acknowledgement that the system was archaic.

The problem is, I believe there are like 25,000 employees of this union. That is pretty strong voting bloc he is beholdened too. I am not against the state stores, you can get some good selections and buys, but if grocery store and convenience stores are open, so should the LCB stores.

Please sign a petition to get the liquor stores back open in PA.

It will be two weeks. One thing, there has never been a safer time for alcohol consumption in PA as most of us are sheltered somewhat in place, we are not driving under the influence going to bars or restaurants.

But because of the PA's antiquated liquor distribution system, while we can buy some beer or wine, we can not buy liquor. This is absolutely illogical.

Sign please. Donate if you want.
Absolutely not, have not had any alcohol of any type for over 17 years. State stores are and were a big problem now and before his pandemic stay home order. Many people died on the roads because of the products these stores sell, I used to drink and I drank a lot, so I know what's it's like. And I know what this stuff can do to people, even if they are just sitting around in their own house, it can and will hurt the human body

But in defense of Wolf, he has moved forward more than any other previous governor some of the draconian laws like Sundays, Beer/Wine in grocery stores, home delivery of wine clubs.....so he has at least shown a willingness and an acknowledgement that the system was archaic.

The problem is, I believe there are like 25,000 employees of this union. That is pretty strong voting bloc he is beholdened too. I am not against the state stores, you can get some good selections and buys, but if grocery store and convenience stores are open, so should the LCB stores.
Having liquor in state stores is fine
Artificial limits on beer and wine in stores is stupid .

Free the liquor stores.

Closing golf courses is another bad idea.

Here's why.

Close the bar and golf course restaurant and leave the course open.

Prior to the Gov's recent pronouncement golf courses were taking payment over the phone, they would leave the golf cart if needed outside, you show up with who you're golfing with no more than you and one other person (singles and 2-somes), when you finish you leave the cart outside, go to your car and drive home.
The courses were washing and disinfecting the carts and pins with spray washer cleaners.

Golfers also wear a golf glove.

When you play golf you're hundreds of yards away from others. A perfect social distancing sport for the Corona Virus.

Most golfers spend the majority of their time by themselves in the woods or fishing balls out of lakes and streams.

Our community close the yard waste center how stupid.
Open the gate, no employees need to be present, people can work on their yards during this time, one employee can lock the gate at the end of the day.

All this stuff is good but State and Local government should be smart about their decisions.

I know smart isn't possible!

Wolf has loosened it more than anyone else in 40 years - so it’s silly to target him
Although Wolf signed it into law, this was all about the State House and Senate. There was no way he could/would overturn it.

I worked for a House member who worked tirelessly on this for at least 10 years. The holdup were certain members of the House Senate. It never got to the governors desk in the form of what it should have been, and that is to do away with State Stores entirely. But the Union is very powerful and held sway with certain members even on the R side.

Often I look at the person taking my bottle of wine or rum, running it over the bar code scanner, putting it into a bag and think, I'm going to be paying for this person's pension someday.

Last edited:
I remember being in a bar in South Carolina and all the liquor bottles were those little bottles you see in hotel mini bars.

Not sure if it was a state law or some weird way for the bar to minimize over pours..

I remember being in a bar in South Carolina and all the liquor bottles were those little bottles you see in hotel mini bars.

Not sure if it was a state law or some weird way for the bar to minimize over pours..
Yeah that was repealed but I think it originated after prohibition.

Yeah that was repealed but I think it originated after prohibition.
This was about 20 years ago. I remember watching the bartender making mixed drinks and opening tiny bottle after tiny bottle and thinking how painstakingly unnecessary this was.

The main problem with privatizing the sale of liquor is figuring out how privatizing will replace the $500,000,000 of profits that get deposited into PA Dept of Revenue each year. Hope and assume are not plans.

BTW, 17 states control the sale of spirits and of those 7 own the stores directly including Alabama, Idaho, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Utah and Virginia.

Reactions: Parkview57
Although Wolf signed it into law, this was all about the State House and Senate. There was no way he could/would overturn it.

I worked for a House member who worked tirelessly on this for at least 10 years. The holdup were certain members of the House Senate. It never got to the governors desk in the form of what it should have been, and that is to do away with State Stores entirely. But the Union is very powerful and held sway with certain members even on the R side.

Often I look at the person taking my bottle of wine or rum, running it over the bar code scanner, putting it into a bag and think, I'm going to be paying for this person's pension someday.
My brother is uber right wing. To the point where it is hard sometimes to start a conversation. But a few years ago he started working for the State Stores and he...............quit, cause he hated the union, thought lazy people were protected by them. I also told him, to go, collect his check, don't worry about every one else because you are not the boss, and enjoy having a decent paying job and benefits without having the responsibilities. Nope, he couldn't let things go. Idiot.

I lived in SC from 95-99. I lived that horror!!!!!

Worst, is when ordering mix drinks, they literally had to use mini bottles to pour from, so sometimes you would get this huge as think if there were multiple liquors. Like a Long Island Iced Tea would be 20 bucks (back then)...

Just one of the most ridiculous rules (since changed) that made PA look like Amsterdam in comparison. Bars and Restaurants couldn't serve on Sundays unless they were a "private" club. So some of these same bars, would have a list, you paid them a $1 and you would become a "member" and can stay and drink after midnight Saturday night or Sunday.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
This was about 20 years ago. I remember watching the bartender making mixed drinks and opening tiny bottle after tiny bottle and thinking how painstakingly unnecessary this was.
Oh yeah, lots of friends and girlfriends were bartenders. If you looked at them, they would have their fingers taped up like NFL players because of the blisters from continuously opening those stupid bottles.

The main problem with privatizing the sale of liquor is figuring out how privatizing will replace the $500,000,000 of profits that get deposited into PA Dept of Revenue each year. Hope and assume are not plans.

BTW, 17 states control the sale of spirits and of those 7 own the stores directly including Alabama, Idaho, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Utah and Virginia.
Yeah but New Hampshire is great. No sales tax and they even have these giant liquor stores at rest stops on I-95. When I would go up to Maine, (driving) I would stop and load up in New Hampshire.

Seriously?
Yes, seriously.

Not only is the State Store system absurd, I think about so many who work their asses off without the cushion of a state paid pension awaiting them. I mean, c'mon - they unpack boxes and stock shelves, take care of inventory. Then they ring up customers. And they're going to be paid in their retirement by all of us.

Yes, seriously.

Not only is the State Store system absurd, I think about so many who work their asses off without the cushion of a state paid pension awaiting them. I mean, c'mon - they unpack boxes and stock shelves, take care of inventory. Then they ring up customers. And they're going to be paid in their retirement by all of us.
Reason number 758 why Public Sector jobs shouldn't be allowed to be unionized.

Reactions: Farnox
Yes, seriously.

Do you think the same way about the high school superintendent, the custodian at the Welcome Center on I-70 in Fulton County or your typical corrections officer? Are you a bit envious perhaps?

Reactions: Lancer76
Yes, seriously.

They make $12 an hour. Their pension is minuscule. Plenty of others to go after if you're worried about state pensions.

It was state law, which, I believe, has been changed.

Free the liquor stores.

Closing golf courses is another bad idea.

Here's why.

Close the bar and golf course restaurant and leave the course open.

Prior to the Gov's recent pronouncement golf courses were taking payment over the phone, they would leave the golf cart if needed outside, you show up with who you're golfing with no more than you and one other person (singles and 2-somes), when you finish you leave the cart outside, go to your car and drive home.
The courses were washing and disinfecting the carts and pins with spray washer cleaners.

Golfers also wear a golf glove.

When you play golf you're hundreds of yards away from others. A perfect social distancing sport for the Corona Virus.

Most golfers spend the majority of their time by themselves in the woods or fishing balls out of lakes and streams.

Our community close the yard waste center how stupid.
Open the gate, no employees need to be present, people can work on their yards during this time, one employee can lock the gate at the end of the day.

All this stuff is good but State and Local government should be smart about their decisions.

I know smart isn't possible!
Golfers also wear a golf glove...which is another word for your hand. you touch something with your gloved hand it picks up the same goo as your hand does.. ..but I digress and do agree these courses should be open...no carts though.

Do you think the same way about the high school superintendent, the custodian at the Welcome Center on I-70 in Fulton County or your typical corrections officer? Are you a bit envious perhaps?
No of coursed not. You can't begin to compare a high school superintendent to a state store cashier. Give me a break.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT