ADVERTISEMENT

Paris Ford not coming?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
He's not enrolling for the summer semester. I'm going to guess he still is trying to reach the NCAA minimum SAT score. I can't imagine this is a university decision. This would be a devastating blow. He could be the 3rd starter we could potentially lose before the season even starts (Taleni, Bookser).

he is coming boys, we just don't know when.. who knows, this may be a blessing in disguise. IF he has to go to prep school for a semester, come to pitt in spring and have shot at Free/field in '18, that's not terrible.

A whole year at milford would suck though, would really like to see him get a spring ball under his belt. one semester and at pitt after Christmas would be huge...

he is coming boys, we just don't know when.. who knows, this may be a blessing in disguise. IF he has to go to prep school for a semester, come to pitt in spring and have shot at Free/field in '18, that's not terrible.

A whole year at milford would suck though, would really like to see him get a spring ball under his belt. one semester and at pitt after Christmas would be huge...
The problem is the rules have changed. The year or semester at Milford is not an option. You now may only retake 1 course after you graduate. If he doesn't get the SAT score it is off to JUCO.

Reactions: bwh05
The problem is the rules have changed. The year or semester at Milford is not an option. You now may only retake 1 course after you graduate. If he doesn't get the SAT score it is off to JUCO.
im sorry 21guns, I am not understanding this. Can you elaborate on the rules?

im sorry 21guns, I am not understanding this. Can you elaborate on the rules?
Previously before 2016 a recruit could repeat unlimited number of credits and become eligible. The new rule allows them to only repeat one course post graduation. Prior to this guys would repeat sometimes up to eight or 10 courses in ordered to raise their gpa and become eligible. Essentially it prevents a recruits from blowing off high school then in one year repeating all those courses. Of course he could enroll at Pitt Pay his own tuition and join the team next fall with three years of eligibility remaining. Most kids Opt to go to JUCO.

This would be a big blow but this has been speculated for well over a year now so I'm not all that surprised.

Another of multiple reasons why counting on a true freshman to immediately start and contribute is unwise.

Though I won't bemoan or rant (as some call it) at any particular entity in this situation, I will note that I don't follow recruiting and other programs breathlessly. But I very very rarely read or hear of top programs not being able to get their really, really top recruits eligible. And there are plenty far less ... erudite... than I'd imagine Mr Ford to be. So one Just has to wonder how those other programs and their recruits find their ways around these apparently unassailable limits.

More of the college sports bullshit charade.

Another of multiple reasons why counting on a true freshman to immediately start and contribute is unwise.

Though I won't bemoan or rant (as some call it) at any particular entity in this situation, I will note that I don't follow recruiting and other programs breathlessly. But I very very rarely read or hear of top programs not being able to get their really, really top recruits eligible. And there are plenty far less ... erudite... than I'd imagine Mr Ford to be. So one Just has to wonder how those other programs and their recruits find their ways around these apparently unassailable limits.

What strikes me is that Ford was in Cap n' Gown on twitter... so he graduated but didn't do well enough to make himself immediately eligible?

I agree that I have never really heard of a "5-star level" recruit not being able to be admitted either in football or basketball due to academics. Sure, you here all the time about mid-tier recruits, but guys like Ford I think get admitted one way or the other.

Same thing happened with Larry Fitzgerald and Shady.

For PSU lurkers, has there ever been a blue chip recruit with a signed LOI who was denied admission? My guess is that PSU has systems in place to get them admitted. I cant admissions the admissions counselor calling Pedterno and saying, "Hey, Joe, we cant get Recruit X admitted because he got D's in European History and Geometry." Pedterno would just say, "Yea right, call me back when they are C's."

To answer you question.........

Don't know how many stars he had or if he had signed a LOI, but Curtis Enis was a Parade All-American and Mr. Football in Ohio. He had to go to Kiski Prep for a year before being admitted to PSU.

I have always taken this as a positive for Pitt Academics and Athletics and following the ACC Eligibility Rules. The ACC has High Standards and up to Players to meet them. Fitzgerald and McCoy actually benefited and were ready after a year of College Prep.

The Big Ten allows Unlimited Eligibility Non-Qualifiers by allowing those that do not qualify to enroll and Red-shirt (Practice but not Dress or Play) so they can prove they can do College Classroom Work.

Penn State also has over 3,000 8th to 12th Graders at their Summer camps and get help in making sure they qualify and those that don't still get to use the Big Ten Unlimited Eligibility Non-Qualifiers they just red-shirt at PSU!

Temple Athletics actually requires Higher QPA above 2.0 to Qualifier and does so under no known regulation but just their own University Standards, Virginia, Vanderbilt do it too.

What worked for Fitzgearld and McCoy can work for Ford too. Pitt and temple Football has had the Higher Athletic Integrity Standards far better than Penn State as the Penn State Scandal exposed, by Freeh Investigation, Big Ten and NCAA Sanctions, and Department of Education Investigations.

I believe it is an asset for Pitt and Pitt Players later prove it by how many make Post-Season Awards in the College Football and the NFL Hall of Fames. Compare that to how Penn State leads all College Football Players with the most NFL Busts over the last 50 years and still doing it recently from 1993 to 2017 as well.

The important thing is to learn to be qualified in Academics so you can also concentrate better on Athletics. They go together and young men sometimes need to learn it and the failure is when they choose not too, than overcoming such challenges. All Players that need more time to Qualify is not a sin, the sin is not learning to do it, or getting a pass that later can hurt that learning experience.

I want Paris Ford at Pitt but I want a Paris Ford confident and determined in the Classrooms just as bad as on the GridIron! And don't blow it like Taleni did now not being at Pitt after 4 years and that hurts Pitt even more?

Paris & Pittsburgh will be better together!

Last edited:
To answer you question.........

Don't know how many stars he had or if he had signed a LOI, but Curtis Enis was a Parade All-American and Mr. Football in Ohio. He had to go to Kiski Prep for a year before being admitted to PSU.

1 guy in 20 years?

I don't remember how highly he was recruited either but didn't OSU NOT offer?

We will never know. I think he needs to put some muscle on and that is why I think he would not have helped this year.

uhhhhh.....snowflake........

If my intramural football team at Pitt got together for a reunion today....there would be 6...8...maybe 10...... 40-somethings running around looking slow....out of shape....and decrepid......

And we STILL could move the ball on last years Pitt defense.......

Paris Ford....like Whitehead before him......not only would help this team in his freshman year....he would play so much that he would be an all ACC freshman and even a possible freshman AA team member......

Try to keep up......

I guess we don't have a very savvy "compliance director" in the AD. Or worse, we DO, but she/he actually enforces COMPLIANCE. Normally they are wizards of loopholes and credential boosting.

Does anyone doubt that the sly dog who created the idea for UNC to fabricate an entire college for its moron athletes isn't at least as valuable as the coaches?

But they're certainly paying for it in prestige. Oh, wait, they're not. UNC still considered a far better school than Pitt. A lot richer too, with a new NC.

But just we wait, the NcAA is preparing to HAMMER them with sanctions. LOL as L as possible.

Oh, so they backed off Ford. Must have been the old uncomittable offer.

The best part is you actually created an account to post this tripe on a Pitt message board. What a pathetic life you must have.
The worst part is that Pitt's administration trumps the PSU guys for trolling its own fans with its dogged insistence on self sanctioning.

Nothing he posts is more ridiculous than the naked truth of the topic itself.

Its kind of like how nobody outside of Pitt members really even bothers trolling the basketball board anymore. It's because the mockery of the real life situation can't be topped. What's a WVU troll gonna say that is more of a dig than "we might not win 5 games all year" and "it's July and there's not a full roster". Where's challenge?

I'll ask again why Pitt participates in this business at all?

Previously before 2016 a recruit could repeat unlimited number of credits and become eligible. The new rule allows them to only repeat one course post graduation. Prior to this guys would repeat sometimes up to eight or 10 courses in ordered to raise their gpa and become eligible. Essentially it prevents a recruits from blowing off high school then in one year repeating all those courses. Of course he could enroll at Pitt Pay his own tuition and join the team next fall with three years of eligibility remaining. Most kids Opt to go to JUCO.

Why would he lose a year of eligibility if he's not on scholarship?

I'm under the impression that one has 5 years to play 4, AFTER the scholarship begins.

No?

I know he can enter the draft 3 years after his high school's graduation date, but scholarship rules begin when one begins receiving his scholarship, not beginning school on his own dime.

Keep up? The season has not started. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

uhhhhh.....snowflake........

If my intramural football team at Pitt got together for a reunion today....there would be 6...8...maybe 10...... 40-somethings running around looking slow....out of shape....and decrepid......

And we STILL could move the ball on last years Pitt defense.......

Paris Ford....like Whitehead before him......not only would help this team in his freshman year....he would play so much that he would be an all ACC freshman and even a possible freshman AA team member......

Try to keep up......

I agree that I have never really heard of a "5-star level" recruit not being able to be admitted either in football or basketball due to academics. Sure, you here all the time about mid-tier recruits, but guys like Ford I think get admitted one way or the other.

For PSU lurkers, has there ever been a blue chip recruit with a signed LOI who was denied admission? My guess is that PSU has systems in place to get them admitted. I cant admissions the admissions counselor calling Pedterno and saying, "Hey, Joe, we cant get Recruit X admitted because he got D's in European History and Geometry." Pedterno would just say, "Yea right, call me back when they are C's."
Adam McLean was a four star recruit from Gaithersburg MD. Franklin told him he would not qualify right away and to look at his options in terms of prep schools, JUCO, etc. He decomitted and signed with Maryland, where (surprise) he was not eligible his first year...

I'm under the impression that one has 5 years to play 4, AFTER the scholarship begins.

No?

No. If you are in school you are using eligibility whether you play or not and whether you are on scholarship or not. If someone is in school as a regular student for two years and then tries out for the football team and makes the roster he doesn't get five years to play four from that point on, he had five years to play four from the time he entered school. So that guy would have, at most, three more years of eligibility left.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

No?

I know he can enter the draft 3 years after his high school's graduation date, but scholarship rules begin when one begins receiving his scholarship, not beginning school on his own dime.
They changed the rule. Your eligibility clocks starts when you enroll full time regardless of scholarship. If he graduates within four years with a certain gpa he can earn a 4th year of eligibility.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
He isn't currently an NCAA qualifier which is determined on a sliding scale with his grades & SAT score. That's the issue. It has nothing to do with pitt.

Reactions: singregardless
1 guy in 20 years?

I don't remember how highly he was recruited either but didn't OSU NOT offer?
OSU did offer. My son played against Enis in high school as a strong safety. He played for Union City who did not have a very good team outside of him but he was a man among boys so it didn't really matter. Son said, Dad its just unfair, first the kid runs over you, then he just runs away from you. Most schools wanted him as a running back, some wanted him as a linebacker, some thought he could play both. He was a truly great athlete. Really big, really strong, really fast.

Reactions: step.eng69

I recall twice that a recruit was eligible
by NCAA standards but not admitted into Penn State. One went to Rutgers. Another ended up going to Georgia State I believe. They have had many who have gone to prep school for a year.

Jay had Daryll Clark attend Kiski prior to coming to Penn State.

Daryll Lawrence Clark
(born February 5, 1986) is a footballquarterback who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football Leagueas a free agent in 2010. He played collegiately for the Penn State Nittany Lions. He is the Nittany Lions' all-time leader in touchdowns. Clark was recruited to Penn State out ofUrsuline High School in Youngstown by way of The Kiski Prep School in Saltsburg,Pennsylvania.

Adam McLean was a four star recruit from Gaithersburg MD. Franklin told him he would not qualify right away and to look at his options in terms of prep schools, JUCO, etc. He decomitted and signed with Maryland, where (surprise) he was not eligible his first year...

It happens at penn state (as mentioned with McLean) but a lot of times more prestigious programs will move on from players with lower probabilities of getting admitted. Then other schools will either take a chance and hope they can meet admission requirements (Pitt) or they'll change the requirements and force the kid through (Tennessee/WVU). It's possible that's what happened with Ford.

Yeah, that's what happened with Ford since he only committed to Pitt (literally) years ago...dumbass comment.

It happens at penn state (as mentioned with McLean) but a lot of times more prestigious programs will move on from players with lower probabilities of getting admitted. Then other schools will either take a chance and hope they can meet admission requirements (Pitt) or they'll change the requirements and force the kid through (Tennessee/WVU). It's possible that's what happened with Ford.

Alabama and USC were at Paris' school late in the recruiting process. Maybe you should spend your time on what it will take to beat PITT.

PSU = Still butt hurt from 42-39

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Believe me, if PSU, or some of the other high-profile programs, who tried to get Paris late in the process, could have flipped him, they would have taken him. All colleges have the academic backgrounds, and know some of the top players are borderline. If the player is good enough, as Paris is, they will take a chance on him.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Alabama and USC were at Paris' school late in the recruiting process. Maybe you should spend your time on what it will take to beat PITT.

It's true that sometimes a player is too good to pass up despite any chance that he might not qualify. Hopefully he gets this resolved soon

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT