ADVERTISEMENT

Pat says Phil expected to start next week

@BreakingPitt - where do we get the 2nd win? I am not seeing it ...

I'm really not seeing it either, Chairman. Some say VT or BC. I believe if we continue with the same QB and same offense, we'll lose to both as both are better than wvu. There are no other games we can look to where a win is at least 50-50.

Oh, if only he were that smart.

Does anyone really think a guy who can’t even recognize it when his QB is playing horrific and costing his team the game and a guy who says, “We’ll have to look at the tape” during post game press conferences in response to questions to which he should really have answered, sounds like the kind of cunning coach who is keeping something form us.

We’ve seen this story before. Pat continues to prove he is too “hands off” and clueless about the offense side of the ball to be the kind of head coach who will ever excel consistently.
It also would be sabotaging a good (or at least better) crowd. Those expecting Jurkovec are going to stay away in droves. Even raising the possibility of a replacement next week might salvage attendance. He could word it that way even if he had no intent to replace Jurkovec.

He can’t do it though. His proclamation of All Jurk All The Time is likely condemning this school to a ‘crowd’ of about 10,000 on Saturday. This shows he is totally sick in this, or he outright promised Jurkovec he’d never even raise the specter of replacing him (or both).

Next week in a late game, depending on weather, there will be 15,000 - 20,000 there. They'll announce over 30,000, but that's not going to happen. Students won't show up...maybe 500 of them. And they'll leave at the half.

Next week in a late game, depending on weather, there will be 15,000 - 20,000 there. They'll announce over 30,000, but that's not going to happen. Students won't show up...maybe 500 of them. And they'll leave at the half.
I’ll give the students credit, I think they’ll show pretty well this week, they’ve been great. But you raise a good point about them; it only takes a few dog games, certainly a couple dog seasons, and they’ll stop bothering. And there goes a generation of future fans. It’s like I have said, it only takes a really bad season or two to put Pitt in a tailspin like the 90s. This program needs to bring it at least to the .500 level every season

Even raising the possibility of a replacement next week might salvage attendance. He could word it that way even if he had no intent to replace Jurkovec.
Agreed.

He didn’t need to say Phil was going to be the starter. He just could have mentioned that the offense was really bad. That both the amount of turnovers and not scoring a touchdown were not acceptable and that playing as poorly as they have over the past two games is not acceptable and that some things are going to have to change.

Last edited:
Agreed.

He didn’t need to say Phil was going to be the starter. He just could have mentioned that the offense was really bad. That both the amount of turnovers and not scoring a touchdown were not acceptable and that play as poorly as they have over the past two games is not acceptable and that some things are going to have to change.
Yep. This is where an AD needs to intercept the coach before he stampedes onto the podium and starts babbling. NOT TO INTERVENE IN HIS DECISION (calm down on that, purists)… but to remind him gently that it’s a business and he can’t torpedo an already demoralized fanbase and spiraling attendance by throwing more sh1t into their faces after what we just saw for three hours. “just tell them you’ll evaluate and decide on all starters closer to Saturday”

if the coaches know it's a 2-10 type season, why bother playing a guy who isn't going to be here next year? If it is going to be that kind of season, put the younger kid in.....it's maddening.
Exactly if the season is lost which it seems it is let the next two battle it out for next year and get them some experience for next year rather than hope we win a game or 2 with this clown. I’d love to know what he promises these 5th and 6th year guys. Barring injury you start no matter how you play? I hate to wish that on anyone but can’t say I’d be sad to see him hobble off with a high ankle sprain that lingers for 5 weeks. Is he so stubborn and selfish he’ll sacrifice developing one of them this year and put any credibility as a decent coach at risk? Sadly I think he’s already answered that.

I’ll give the students credit, I think they’ll show pretty well this week, they’ve been great. But you raise a good point about them; it only takes a few dog games, certainly a couple dog seasons, and they’ll stop bothering. And there goes a generation of future fans. It’s like I have said, it only takes a really bad season or two to put Pitt in a tailspin like the 90s. This program needs to bring it at least to the .500 level every season
Students would show up for a noon kick. But you are only young for a brief time- I certainly wouldn't have wasted a college Saturday night on a trek to Acrisure to watch Jurkovec and Cignetti when I was 19.

If Duzz can say that after watching those last two games then he needs to retire. He has compromised himself, his team, and his program. This decision will submarine the entire program. Never mind the die hard fans he is jacking off. He deserves an empty stadium.

Not saying I fully expect this, but if he is planning to start a new qb next week he wouldn’t telegraph that yet in a press conference. He never wants to give anything away.
Exactly. From his body language, the Jerk is history. Duzz is not stupid. He knows this guy can’t play but he won’t tip his hand until Yarnell runs out with the starters on Saturday night.

Exactly. From his body language, the Jerk is history. Duzz is not stupid. He knows this guy can’t play but he won’t tip his hand until Yarnell runs out with the starters on Saturday night.
You might be right. He looked like he couldn't even stand up straight he was so upset. It looked like he was physically ill.

I dont get the obsession with Nate Yarnell. He is in his 3rd season of college football and was beat out by Kedon Slovis, Nick Patti, Phil Jurkovec, and Christian Vielleaux. And as a true freshman, couldn't beat out Davis Beville for 3rd string. Does anyone think that maybe he stinks? His claim to fame is going 9-12 against a 5-7 MAC team. You cant make this stuff up.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Possibly.

I wouldn't go that far, but I think Jurk will have a fairly short leash Saturday. And when they do eventually pull him, it will be for good.

I dont get the obsession with Nate Yarnell. He is in his 3rd season of college football and was beat out by Kedon Slovis, Nick Patti, Phil Jurkovec, and Christian Vielleaux. And as a true freshman, couldn't beat out Davis Beville for 3rd string. Does anyone think that maybe he stinks? His claim to fame is going 9-12 against a 5-7 MAC team. You cant make this stuff up.
Agree. Vielleaux I think will be the first QB off the bench whenever Narduzzi finally does it.

Possibly.

I wouldn't go that far, but I think Jurk will have a fairly short leash Saturday. And when they do eventually pull him, it will be for good.

There shouldn't be any leash, because he shouldn't start. Starters reps should be given all week to CV or Nate.

There shouldn't be any leash, because he shouldn't start. Starters reps should be given all week to CV or Nate.
Agree. Regardless of who takes the first snap on Saturday, the backup needs to be game ready this week.

I'm just assuming it's going to be Jurk, based on the post game presser.

Again, why do people keep calling for Yarnell??? He is 3rd string! Not the backup. He was beat out by Villeaux.
Because he's been in the offense longer and actually has full game experience, rather than some random mop-up time. I don't care who it is, play the freshman or one of the the walk-ons, they can't be worse. Go get Nick Patti off his couch, anyone.

Reactions: FireballZ
Because he's been in the offense longer and actually has full game experience, rather than some random mop-up time. I don't care who it is, play the freshman or one of the the walk-ons, they can't be worse. Go get Nick Patti off his couch, anyone.
May as well call for Tom Brady in disguise. Duz is not replacing Jurkovec

Again, why do people keep calling for Yarnell??? He is 3rd string! Not the backup. He was beat out by Villeaux.
Because he has real game day experience on the road as a starter and performed well. Give him the first shot.

Seeing is believing. Or maybe we should consult Beanie Bishop? He knows when a QB sucks unlike some on the Pitt staff…

Reactions: sonofabit

So you think he is better than Villeaux, who beat him out?

Gunga - I’ll but in if you don’t mind,…

Who decides whether one back up is better than the other? The same guys who decided that Jurkovec is better than both.

Jurkovec and Villeaux are more talented, but that doesn’t mean they can execute.

Yarnell should get the first shot. As I said, he played on the road and didn’t make any mistakes. He was poised and had a nice deep ball. We have real game experience to judge him by.

If he performs bad, then make a switch.

Last edited:
So you think Villeaux is better than Jurkovec, who beat him out?

Your logic here in the continual questioning of posters wanting Yarnell is weak. Whether you agree or not, isn’t it clear to you yet that some put more weight on an actual in-game positive performance by him over nothing concrete for Villeaux?

I'm good with anyone not named Jurkovec.

But I'm fully expecting to see #5 as the starter Saturday night. I just want to see what they do when things go bad, as they inevitably will.

I have no idea, and neither do you.
Phil beat out both of them, so depth chart doesn't really tell the whole story.

I've actually seen Nate in a real game and he's at least competent in throwing a football. Don't know about CV as I have nothing to go by other than some garbage time play.

But I'm fully expecting to see #5 as the starter Saturday night. I just want to see what they do when things go bad, as they inevitably will.
We already have seen it. This season and last. He has not changed the QB. Not even for one play. And that was exactly the same as last year Vs GT and Louisville.

Yet this same guy uses four different running backs, sometimes DURING THE SAME POSSESSION, even though the starter is running well. Same with DLs etc. That is somewhat A vs O, sometimes it is about fatigue with such positions etc but it shows the guy is not similarly insane about making changes with other positions.

Either he has made promises to these guys he’ll never bench them no matter how bad, in order to get them to commit; or he’s mentally ill in this. I won’t say both can’t be true either. But at least one of them has to be.

I have no idea, and neither do you.
Phil beat out both of them, so depth chart doesn't really tell the whole story.

I've actually seen Nate in a real game and he's at least competent in throwing a football. Don't know about CV as I have nothing to go by other than some garbage time play.
At PSU, CV played most of the game against Rutgers back in 21. I watched the condensed version of the game. He also throws a nice ball. He's also obviously green when it comes to processing and making split second decisions, but he seemed to manage the game well. He's more mobile than Yarnell.

As you would expect, they didn't put a lot on his plate & played field position football.

Just a hunch, but I think his mobility is the main reason he's running #2. I think it's fairly obvious the staff doesn't put a lot of trust in the pass protection right now.

At PSU, CV played most of the game against Rutgers back in 21. I watched the condensed version of the game. He also throws a nice ball. He's also obviously green when it comes to processing and making split second decisions, but he seemed to manage the game well. He's more mobile than Yarnell.

As you would expect, they didn't put a lot on his plate & played field position football.

Just a hunch, but I think his mobility is the main reason he's running #2. I think it's fairly obvious the staff doesn't put a lot of trust in the pass protection right now.
From what I understand, he's clearly the #2 guy. Not Yarnell.

Not that it seems to matter at the moment, but if a change were made, it will be CV.

I'm not happy to say this, but unless he throws a touchdown on his first drive, Jurk is going to hear a real chorus of boos from the get go next week. It's pretty simple. You don't play as poorly as he has and then insult the fans who are unhappy with the way you played so poorly.
And a really ugly scenario that could play out. If Jurk gets hurt at any point and has to come out, there will be cheering and then the tv and other media will talk about how terrible the fans are to cheer their own player getting hurt.

Yarnell had the highest QB rating since Pickett played UNH in Sept 2021. He was more effective than in any of Slovis' games last year. I think the knock is that he started like 6 high school games and the WMU. Not a lot of real experience, but expand the sample size. The tape didnt lie. He hit mumpfield dead on on 3rd and 18. Maybe the line was better at protection. Maybe he is less mobile than Jurk. But I find it hard to believe he and CV are worse as a whole at this time. And it is not just WMU game. Yarnell also played in the last 2 minutes of the first half in UCLA bowl game after Patti got injured. Look at the video beginning at 1hr 14 min and 45 second mark. Is he really worse than Jurk....He at least knows to throw stuff away.

Last edited:

My fear is Phil starts, which he will, and plays better than against WVU. Truthfully how could he be worse. He still plays poorly but they think he is “settling in” and “trending up”so they keep playing him.
The only way he gets benched is if he sucks and we are again embarrassed on a national TV game, or as someone else said, gets hurt and fans cheer…

My fear is Phil starts, which he will, and plays better than against WVU. Truthfully how could he be worse. He still plays poorly but they think he is “settling in” and “trending up”so they keep playing him.
The only way he gets benched is if he sucks and we are again embarrassed on a national TV game, or as someone else said, gets hurt and fans cheer…
Let's hope he plays better than he did against WVU.

I think the staff is well aware that Phil is done. It's almost a certainty that they want to move on from him, but they just don't feel like Veilleux is ready. As soon as they do, they will make the move. Because once you make that move, you don't go back.

Let's hope he plays better than he did against WVU.

I think the staff is well aware that Phil is done. It's almost a certainty that they want to move on from him, but they just don't feel like Veilleux is ready. As soon as they do, they will make the move. Because once you make that move, you don't go back.
if this is true- Please explain why PN was going off on how good he thought the top 3 QBs look prior to the season.

Either he was not being sincere about 2nd and 3rd string QBs or he really is way too recklessly hands off and clueless when it comes to the offense side of the ball deserve to be the HC and get paid that exorbitant salary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT