ADVERTISEMENT

Peach Bowl - Pitt Michigan St.

What people also don’t seem to realize is the further down the depth chart you go the playbook gets smaller.
Exactly. They think the offense is still as wide open as if Pickett or even Patti was playing. Hell, Charlie batch was talking about this exact thing on Dve the other day about the steelers and when he and Maddox were hurt.

Honestly, as soon as I jumped on I was waiting for the "bad coaching" derp comment. I figured most people I have on ignore would be throwing that out.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Unfortunately bad coaching came back to haunt us. Defense needed mix up coverages and didn’t do it again. Just sad. Our game day coaching is just always going to be our downfall. Hard to overcome especially when injuries and opt outs level any talent advantage we might have

We might not even finish in Top 20.

I agree. The way this game was coached by Narduzzi, you'd think this was his first bowl game of any kind. His butt was tighter than a garage door spring.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
I still want to know why Dennis was out on that third down play when Hayward caught the TD. I see no reason for him to be off the field in that situation unless he was injured.

H2P

Reactions: 303vND
I 100% agree that was a bad call. Now show me any coach that calls a perfect game.
Playing press quarters on third and 10 on their first possession was terrible too. They didn’t make one mistake that cost us the game. There were several

Reactions: FireballZ
Exactly. They think the offense is still as wide open as if Pickett or even Patti was playing. Hell, Charlie batch was talking about this exact thing on Dve the other day about the steelers and when he and Maddox were hurt.

Honestly, as soon as I jumped on I was waiting for the "bad coaching" derp comment. I figured most people I have on ignore would be throwing that out.
We all understand this. That’s why it’s bad coaching. Stop calling a game plan for Patti and run the ball more to take the heat off the guy. Mix up defensive coverage to not make it so easy on 3rd and 4th and long.

Reactions: bwh05 and pbrad
There was still plenty of time plus a TO in hand. No you don’t settle for a FG at that point and count on OT with a 3rd string QB and offense that wasn’t doing anything.

You play for the TD and win until you’re out IF time and then settle for the FG.

That doesn’t mean we had to throw an INT. Just an unlucky rushed/poor judgement play by us and good play by the MSU defender.
So with 30 seconds left you are going for a touchdown by throwing a 8 yard pass on the 30 yard line?

Reactions: BFo8
There was still plenty of time plus a TO in hand. No you don’t settle for a FG at that point and count on OT with a 3rd string QB and offense that wasn’t doing anything.

You play for the TD and win until you’re out IF time and then settle for the FG.

That doesn’t mean we had to throw an INT. Just an unlucky rushed/poor judgement play by us and good play by the MSU defender.
I agree but the completion to Krull on the previous play was a very dangerous throw to attempt. Not sure Beville should have been trusted to throw routes over the middle on the following play. Would have liked to see something like a trips formation used to set up a screen to Addison. Even if that basically telegraphed what was coming; sometimes it's best to gamble on you best player making a play.

Not shocked someone like gepdawg or Gary saying it though.
I love this coaching staff for a lot of reasons. They run a clean program and the kids love them and leave it all on the field. I’m just disappointed the coaching staff didn’t give these kids a better chance in this game. Still think it’s a great season. Still think the staff did a great job for most of the season. Still think Duzz deserves the extension. Just hope they hire a good game day OC who can make changes on the fly.

How was it a screw up? We had an impotent offense due to a qb with little to know experience, a defense that was on the field the entire game, and tucker had absolutely no fear and could play the 4 down game the entire second half. The team was in an extremely tough situation against a good team and almost still pulled it out.
We played hard. This loss really isn’t on the players. They did enough to steal a win

It's easy to second guess with what-ifs with play calling. But I have to admit...the last series when we were already in FG range and throwing down the middle was just bonehead play calling by someone.

Unfortunately bad coaching came back to haunt us. Defense needed mix up coverages and didn’t do it again. Just sad. Our game day coaching is just always going to be our downfall. Hard to overcome especially when injuries and opt outs level any talent advantage we might have

We might not even finish in Top 20.
Ridiculous, Pitt should stay about the same, no lower than 15. They hung with won of best big 10 teams with a inexperienced most important position QB.

I agree...this loss isn't on the players. They did the best they could. This loss is entirely on the coaches...all of them. Bonehead plays all around.
MSU isn’t very good. Coaching allowed them to come back and win. My impression is that they’re going to regret paying $10 million a year for what they’re to get.

Last edited:
For Beville to have any chance you’d have to have a monster OL that can pass block like crazy. He has absolutely no mobility and it’s hard to imagine that working in a college offense.
It won’t...he made Ben look like Lamar Jackson. How can you be that young and that immobile as a P5 scholarship “athlete”?. His forty time is plodding

Reactions: gary2
I agree but the completion to Krull on the previous play was a very dangerous throw to attempt. Not sure Beville should have been trusted to throw routes over the middle on the following play. Would have liked to see something like a trips formation used to set up a screen to Addison. Even if that basically telegraphed what was coming; sometimes it's best to gamble on you best player making a play.
I’m not arguing the appropriateness of that throw or play call, I’m just arguing that you don’t settle for a FG at that point when there is still time plus TO available for 2 or 3 more plays before having to settle for the FG.

Any concerns for Belville making a mistake are likely magnified going to OT.

I still want to know why Dennis was out on that third down play when Hayward caught the TD. I see no reason for him to be off the field in that situation unless he was injured.

H2P
Agree, but he was covered good. Great throw and catch

heading into next season , the guy has to be the USC guy right ?
I like 12, but he is not battle tested or durable.
I am now gnashing my teeth over this loss.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
I’m not arguing the appropriateness of that throw or play call, I’m just arguing that you don’t settle for a FG at that point when there is still time plus TO available for 2 or 3 more plays before having to settle for the FG.

Any concerns for Belville making a mistake are likely magnified going to OT.
I see the other side but under those circumstances I have zero issue going for the win.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing throughout the whole game. We play to win the entire year, then play not to lose in the bowl game.

I have news for Narduzzi. This was his best and last chance to get into some kind of a bowl game that was even semi-legitimate with some impact. I hope it doesn't take another 40 years to get to 11 wins again, but it's a possibility.
I get why he did it. Beville wasn't seeing the field well and the defense was playing lights out. However, anyone watching that game could sense it was only a matter of time before Michigan State would start to move the ball and score. It's a part of the game feel and it happened just as I expected.

They needed to give Beville a chance to make some throws. You have the best receiver in the country, design safe throws to him, or anyone for that matter. It's a bowl game, there was literally nothing to lose by playing it ultraconservative. The only thing Pitt was playing for was a 12th win and they were playing with house money after Beville entered the game because they had not business even competing at that point let along having the opportunity with the lead in the fourth quarter.

MSU isn’t very good. Coaching allowed them to come back and win. My impression is that they’re going to regret paying $10 million a year for what they’re to get.

Oh, I agree....MSU is not good at all. They got lucky against a decimated Pitt team with no offense and no QB. I'd love to play them with Patti in for the whole game and Izzy as well. The outcome would have been different, I guarantee it. And MSU wouldn't have liked it.

Slovis isn’t coming here to sit. I don’t know that he was promised anything however I can’t imagine he wasn’t told he’d be the favorite going in by a fair amount. It may not be completely handed to him but Patti would have to play his ass off to get the starting nod I’d have to think.

This one of many Pitt games that I never ever ever want to talk about again. Would rather a blow out than a keep me hopefull fo the entire game with that shitty coaching and play calling. I wouldn’t be upset of all if we lost decently. But now I’m beyond irate and my family hates me for my mood.

Reactions: twutort
Yes definitely. He will be the starter unless something crazy happens. He’s awesome I don’t think people realize how good he was. Going into this season he was projected to be a top ten pick. His injury and then a coaching change is why he didn’t go pro and decided to come here for one or two more years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT