ADVERTISEMENT

Peach Jam Finals and Recruiting Updates

FWIW ... just from the video, he just doesn't "feel" like an ACC player to me. But I've been wrong plenty of times in my life before. LOL

The only 2 centers Im 100% sold on are Barlow and Amani Hansberry and the former is a power forward / undersized tweener center and the latter is a 2023 kid.

With Kyle Filipowski scratched, Barlow took over with 21 points on 8-13 shooting, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks and a steal with multiple power slams and midrange jumpers and the NY Rens win again. He needs to get more active on rebounding and anticipate shot misses better and attack instead of watch on the boards but has substantial upside.

Hold your breath, because his stock is going up again after today and more offers are coming.

I think it would be awesome seeing Mintz and Barlow in the Peach Jam finals, the 2 heavyweight favorites to win, and Barlow becomes a Panther. Im cautiously optimistic and hopeful. Otoole was in the stands. Pitt coaches were at just about every NY Rens game.

Last edited:
The only 2 centers Im 100% sold on are Barlow and Amani Hansberry and the former is a power forward / undersized tweener center and the latter is a 2023 kid.

With Kyle Filipowski scratched, Barlow took over with 21 points on 8-13 shooting, 5 rebounds, 2 assists with multiple power slams and midrange jumpers and the NY Rens win again. He needs to get more active on rebounding and anticipate shot misses better and attack instead of watch on the boards but has substantial upside.

Hold your breath, because his stock is going up again after today and more offers are coming.

I think it would be awesome seeing Mintz and Barlow in the Peach Jam finals, the 2 heavyweight favorites to win, and Barlow becomes a Panther. Im cautiously optimistic and hopeful. Otoole was in the stands. Pitt coaches were at just about every NY Rens game.
Thanks for the reports.

With Kyle Filipowski scratched, Barlow took over with 21 points on 8-13 shooting, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks and a steal with multiple power slams and midrange jumpers and the NY Rens win again. He needs to get more active on rebounding and anticipate shot misses better and attack instead of watch on the boards but has substantial upside.

Barlow looks more in the Justin Champagnie mold than a college C (on offense). He is very impressive and I see why you liked him better than higher rated prospects a few weeks back.

Mintz is on no college team roster. Until he physically signs an LOI, he's nobody's player, including Pitt's. For now, we can hope he signs with us. That's all we can do. These kids are fickle.
If he blows up big time it will really be a meaningful get for JC . Even signing on the dotted line does’t guarantee anything now a days .

Barlow looks more in the Justin Champagnie mold than a college C (on offense). He is very impressive and I see why you liked him better than higher rated prospects a few weeks back.
He actually was quoted in an article (I think by Rivals) saying that HCJC told him he could be like JC here (something along those lines).

Don't think you want him as the post offensively or defensively, more flexibility to get him into scoring position playing PF like JC and not have him trying to defend actual centers in ACC play.

Mintz one of the 5.

“Mintz’ rise started at a small event in Miami last month, where he was one of the most impressive prospects on the floor. The future Panther finished with 14 points and six assists in one game at the event and has carried that momentum into the July evaluation period. He’s unlikely to jump into the top 70, but a bump is definitely in order. Mintz has been playing like a no-doubt top-100 player this summer and has the chance to improve his stock even more during his Team Durant’s Peach Jam run. Mintz gets to the line and finishes through contact and has improved significantly as a passer. His jumper from range is still a work in progress, but Mintz is becoming a more well-rounded player by the month.”

Reactions: VincePITT
He actually was quoted in an article (I think by Rivals) saying that HCJC told him he could be like JC here (something along those lines).

Don't think you want him as the post offensively or defensively, more flexibility to get him into scoring position playing PF like JC and not have him trying to defend actual centers in ACC play.

He's for sure a PF in college. He is no where close to being a Wing. We can get away with him with some 5 in a backup role, but would not want him as a full time starter there. Although he can easily score at the 5. He is dunking and scoring over legit talent in this tournament on offense at the 4 and 5

Mintz one of the 5.

“Mintz’ rise started at a small event in Miami last month, where he was one of the most impressive prospects on the floor. The future Panther finished with 14 points and six assists in one game at the event and has carried that momentum into the July evaluation period. He’s unlikely to jump into the top 70, but a bump is definitely in order. Mintz has been playing like a no-doubt top-100 player this summer and has the chance to improve his stock even more during his Team Durant’s Peach Jam run. Mintz gets to the line and finishes through contact and has improved significantly as a passer. His jumper from range is still a work in progress, but Mintz is becoming a more well-rounded player by the month.”

Judah Mintz's shooting percentages in this tournament

54-83 65.1 FG%
40-48 FT attempts, 83.33%
7- 13 from 3, 53.8% from 3

You wont find 3 better players in the EYBL through 7 games better as a guard with those shooting percentage numbers. You might not find 1 player better with better shooting percentages through 7 games. After watching every single Mintz game, I can comfortably say no one, meaning nobody, showcased a better "midrange" game in this tournament than Mintz thus far and I question what these people even watched so far. And I have been watching basketball non stop every day and all these players and I posted all 7 scouting reports on each Mintz game. I agree the 3 point percentage is highly misleading. But if Mintz continues to make them to finish the tournament off, I may change my stance on his 3 point capability.

I was also told one of the reasons Ryan Dunn's recruitment was so under the radar was because of canceled games from the coronavirus last year. I was told Dunn has a 7 foot wingspan as a wing and was a previous 44% shooter from 3 the prior school year. This is a very dangerous underrated player with significant upside we are recruiting from New York.

Sean Jones may be making a decision in the near term. No prediction from me but safe to assume we are in his top 3 or so. Jones still needs to shoot much better but impressed with his passing and steal numbers in this tournament.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Team Durant loses 75-44 to Boo Williams and Durant's undefeated run is over.

Straight from the tipoff, Durant's overall team energy was poor and I came away with the impression that they thought they were going to walk right in and blow this team out without even trying. And the opposite happened.

A total lack of energy, poor shot selection, and watching is what took place by the team in general with poor turnovers and poor rebounding as a team.

Judah Mintz finished with 2 points on 1-5 shooting, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, 1 turnover, and 2 forced turnovers that he forced.

Judah wasn't bad today and neither was "his" energy. His first shot was a terrible contested 3 pointer that he missed. He missed a layup in transition that looked like he may have been fouled on that he didn't get the call. He missed another open 3 pointer. And he missed another shot where he did a great job getting separation with a dribble drive and pump fake, but failed to convert a wide open 4 footer. Outside of 1 shot, Judah's shot selection was just fine.

Judah made 2 really impressive plays on defense. The first was he stopped a runaway transition free layup in the first half where he ran back hard, contested the shot, and his man missed. He did the same thing in the 2nd half and his man couldn't even get a shot off. His pressure defense forced 2 additional turnovers, 1 of which led to a transition dunk. Simply, he didn't have the ball in his hands nearly enough on offense.

His team took bad shots, they couldn't make shots, and there was little opportunity to set up the press. The starters were finally benched before the start of the 4th quarter as the game was over , and Judah kicked a garbage can in frustration.

Last edited:
In the nightcap, Dominick Barlow with 14 points on 6-11 shooting, 6 rebounds, 2 steal, 2 assists, 2 block performance. Very active everywhere except I thought he could have been better on the glass. Really active defender, swatted balls, stole balls, deflected balls. Moves his feet well on defense and good recovery defense, provides help defense, he did it all with Kyle Filipowski out and was the NY Rens MVP in the win. The Rens are now 9-1, and for a team that features 7 Top 150 Nationally rated players, Dominick Barlow is currently their top scorer through 10 games with over 13 points per game on average. They are 9-1 as a team for the tournament.

Tonight, Barlow hit from midrange, took multiple Top 100 players off the dribble drive, and finished with contact in the low block. Easily a top 100 player, and making a case for Top 75. Legit good. And he plays the game with edge on the floor with his emotion. Played the 4 and 5.

Chisom Okpara came back from missing multiple games and had a smooth performance with 12 points and 2 boards. He was also solid for the Rens.

Watched a little of Ohio Red with Sean Jones. Reads the floor really well as a playmaker. Very good passing ability and vision. If he had better teammates, his assist numbers would be higher. Small. He is lucky if he is 5'10. He looks closer to 5'8. Concerned with shooting and being matched up against much taller players at the next level, but has Levance Fields "potential" vision. He reads the defense well and finds teammates to score.

In the nightcap, Dominick Barlow with 14 points on 6-11 shooting, 6 rebounds, 2 steal, 2 assists, 2 block performance. Very active everywhere except I thought he could have been better on the glass. Really active defender, swatted balls, stole balls, deflected balls. Moves his feet well on defense and good recovery defense, provides help defense, he did it all with Kyle Filipowski out and was the NY Rens MVP in the win. The Rens are now 9-1, and for a team that features 7 Top 150 Nationally rated players, Dominick Barlow is currently their top scorer through 10 games with over 13 points per game on average. They are 9-1 as a team for the tournament.

Tonight, Barlow hit from midrange, took multiple Top 100 players off the dribble drive, and finished with contact in the low block. Easily a top 100 player, and making a case for Top 75. Legit good. And he plays the game with edge on the floor with his emotion. Played the 4 and 5.

Chisom Okpara came back from missing multiple games and had a smooth performance with 12 points and 2 boards. He was also solid for the Rens.

Watched a little of Ohio Red with Sean Jones. Reads the floor really well as a playmaker. Very good passing ability and vision. If he had better teammates, his assist numbers would be higher. Small. He is lucky if he is 5'10. He looks closer to 5'8. Concerned with shooting and being matched up against much taller players at the next level, but has Levance Fields "potential" vision. He reads the defense well and finds teammates to score.
From what a few others close to the program have said, we are pretty much out of the Jones race.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
From what a few others close to the program have said, we are pretty much out of the Jones race.

I think ultimately that was the best decision if that is the case. London Johnson, Jaylen Curry, and Rodney Gallagher are better and I dont think a pg is needed in this class. The former 2 will push for 5 star status as they are Elite and Gallagher will remain in the top 50-100.

I think ultimately that was the best decision if that is the case. London Johnson, Jaylen Curry, and Rodney Gallagher are better and I dont think a pg is needed in this class. The former 2 will push for 5 star status as they are Elite and Gallagher will remain in the top 50-100.
Mintz finished with 13 points in a solid but unspectacular game. After watching 5 of his games the one thing that stands out is his lack of a 3 point game. He really doesn’t even want to attempt one as he doesn’t seem comfortable with shooting from that distance. He needs to incorporate that part of his game into his skill set if he is to become a really special player. There is another game at 3:30 today if anyone wants to watch him play

Team Durant bounces back to win in the early session 81-49 in a tale of 2 halves.

In the first half, the story was a repeat of the last game Durant lost, where every single player besides Mintz and Whitehead continued to play hero ball and were unwilling to pass. The result was a 29-27 deficit at halftime and if it wasn't for Mintz's 4 assists in the first half alone, that lead would have been greater for Team Melo. Overall selfish play and poor shot selection by the entire team "besides" Whitehead and Mintz resulted being behind at the half.

Mintz finished the game with 13 points on 5-10 shooting, 0-1 on 3 pointers, and 3-4 from the line , with 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and 1 additional forced turnover that he forced. He scored 8 large points in the 4th quarter to extend the lead with multiple midrange jumpers.

Control.... Mintz plays in control. Rarely does he make dumb mistakes and take poor shots. Team Melo set up the press and trap multiple times and every single time Mintz beat the pressure to advance the ball including multiple double teams he faced. His 1 turnover was in the halfcourt set where he passed the ball to a teammate standing on the bench who he thought was actually in the game.

Mintz' misses included a pullup jumper in transition, a missed 3 pointer, and 2 transition drive layups, both of which had contact, neither of which a foul was called. He took 0 bad shots today.

Former Pitt target Cam Whitmore was 3-12 shooting with 6 points. Bryce Lindsay was 1-8 with 2 points and was shutdown. Mintz guarded at least 5 different players in this game in the halfcourt.

Team Durant played as a team in the 2nd half and outscored them by 34 in that half.

Last edited:
Judah Mintz's shooting percentages in this tournament

54-83 65.1 FG%
40-48 FT attempts, 83.33%
7- 13 from 3, 53.8% from 3

You wont find 3 better players in the EYBL through 7 games better as a guard with those shooting percentage numbers. You might not find 1 player better with better shooting percentages through 7 games. After watching every single Mintz game, I can comfortably say no one, meaning nobody, showcased a better "midrange" game in this tournament than Mintz thus far and I question what these people even watched so far. And I have been watching basketball non stop every day and all these players and I posted all 7 scouting reports on each Mintz game. I agree the 3 point percentage is highly misleading. But if Mintz continues to make them to finish the tournament off, I may change my stance on his 3 point capability.

I was also told one of the reasons Ryan Dunn's recruitment was so under the radar was because of canceled games from the coronavirus last year. I was told Dunn has a 7 foot wingspan as a wing and was a previous 44% shooter from 3 the prior school year. This is a very dangerous underrated player with significant upside we are recruiting from New York.

Sean Jones may be making a decision in the near term. No prediction from me but safe to assume we are in his top 3 or so. Jones still needs to shoot much better but impressed with his passing and steal numbers in this tournament.
Do you think we don’t need to worry about another college coming in to get Mintz now?

Do you think we don’t need to worry about another college coming in to get Mintz now?

No

"One" of the reasons among others that Mintz liked the opportunity at Pitt was the opportunity to "make" something special at a college instead of "join" something special at a college. He wants the opportunity to make Pitt special again and be one of the reasons in doing so. Those are his own words in a live interview that was recent.

Its interesting because Justyn Fernandez recently said something along the same exact lines, he wants an underrated underdog school because he is considers himself an underrated underdog.

I mean anything can happen in the recruiting world, but I think Mintz is rock solid at Pitt.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
EYBL and Peach Jam Pure Scoring Efficiency leaders and Tournament Power Rankings.

Mintz's ORTG offensive power ranking would be through the roof in this tournament. Sharpe will be the #1 player in the next rankings.

Dominick Barlow is 8th overall. Craft, a player I said was underrated days ago, also checks in.

Reactions: Drew1208
Sorry, we've heard this talk before. It's all talk until he signs the LOI. Mintz isn't a Pitt recruit yet. He's nobody's recruit. I'll be very happy and pleasantly and honestly surprised if he does sign with Pitt. He's far from solid at this early stage.

In the late night session, Team Durant took on Meanstreets in a battle of powerhouses in a fight to earn a #1 seed and a trip to the Elite 8.

In a game that was back and forth early, with the refs heavily favoring Meanstreets, Team Durant ultimately prevailed 65-61 in a tough win.

Judah Mintz finished with 14 points on 4-9 shooting, 1-3 from 3, and 5-6 from the line with 4 assists, 1 turnover, 1 steal, 1 block, and 1 additional forced turnover he forced. In a 2 point game in less than 10 seconds to go in the 4th, Mintz iced the game making 2 free throws to make it a 4 point lead to seal the win.

The game was physical. The calls were biased towards Meanstreets. Two weak technical fouls were called against Team Durant and 1 against the coach. Judah Mintz was fouled 3 different times on shots, none of which were called. Rodney Rice was knocked over on 2 more 3 point buckets that he made, no foul was called that should have been called. There wasn't even a foul called when Rice got injured and left the game on contact. The refs were terrible but Durant won the game so it didn't matter in the end.

The biggest disappointment was I wanted to see Mintz match up against sharpshooter Cam Kraft who has been on fire this tournament. Kraft failed against Mintz as he was 1-5 in his shots, but killed the others he went up against to get 19 of his total points. Why Mintz didn't guard him the entire game I do not understand but he didn't.

Durant's lead was pushed to 10 in the 4th before Rodney Rice was injury and went to the locker room. Rice came back at the end of the game and made a really bad turnover which cut a 4 point lead to 2 point lead. Then Mintz put the game away with 2 free throws to seal the win.

Reactions: Drew1208
Sorry, we've heard this talk before. It's all talk until he signs the LOI. Mintz isn't a Pitt recruit yet. He's nobody's recruit. I'll be very happy and pleasantly and honestly surprised if he does sign with Pitt. He's far from solid at this early stage.
Basketball recruits decommit much less than football recruits do.

In the late night session, Team Durant took on Meanstreets in a battle of powerhouses in a fight to earn a #1 seed and a trip to the Elite 8.

In a game that was back and forth early, with the refs heavily favoring Meanstreets, Team Durant ultimately prevailed 65-61 in a tough win.

Judah Mintz finished with 14 points on 4-9 shooting, 1-3 from 3, and 5-6 from the line with 4 assists, 1 turnover, 1 steal, 1 block, and 1 additional forced turnover he forced. In a 2 point game in less than 10 seconds to go in the 4th, Mintz iced the game making 2 free throws to make it a 4 point lead to seal the win.

The game was physical. The calls were biased towards Meanstreets. Two weak technical fouls were called against Team Durant and 1 against the coach. Judah Mintz was fouled 3 different times on shots, none of which were called. Rodney Rice was knocked over on 2 more 3 point buckets that he made, no foul was called that should have been called. There wasn't even a foul called when Rice got injured and left the game on contact. The refs were terrible but Durant won the game so it didn't matter in the end.

The biggest disappointment was I wanted to see Mintz match up against sharpshooter Cam Kraft who has been on fire this tournament. Kraft failed against Mintz as he was 1-5 in his shots, but killed the others he went up against to get 19 of his total points. Why Mintz didn't guard him the entire game I do not understand but he didn't.

Durant's lead was pushed to 10 in the 4th before Rodney Rice was injury and went to the locker room. Rice came back at the end of the game and made a really bad turnover which cut a 4 point lead to 2 point lead. Then Mintz put the game away with 2 free throws to seal the win.
I thought the refs were terrible in that game.

NY Rens take down Team Durant in overtime 80-73.

Dominick Barlow with 15 points on 5-11 shooting, 5-6 from the line including multiple clutch free throws, 11 rebounds, 1 assist, and I lost track of the blocks because he owned the paint in stretches of this game and Khalif Crawley was benched because of it. He was a significant factor on defense.

Judah Mintz finished with 16 points on 8-16 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal. Judah Mintz was the biggest impact player in this game in terms of efficiency for Team Durant.

Here is a series of defensive plays Mintz made in this game

1) He stole the ball on defense, flushed it at the other end
2) He drew an offensive foul on a screen
3) He stopped a 2-1 on transition defense by deflecting a pass instead of a free dunk
4) He drew another offensive foul on a push off

These are the type of plays of why Team Durant was in position to win this game on the defensive end because nobody on Team Durant played good defense today outside Mintz. Where Mintz did a poor job was closing shooters. Roughly 2, maybe 3 times he did not close the shooter fast enough from the midrange and from 3. Could be from tired legs, but he just wasn't quick enough to do it and wasn't in good enough position and he was scored on. Mintz was very good on dribble drive defense and not getting beat off the bounce.

Mintz made a lot of great passes in this game with not much to show for it in the box score as he easily could have had 5 assists in this game. Dariq Whitehead missed 2 point blank uncontested layups from Mintz's passes and the team came away with nothing.

Dariq Whitehead will probably get the hype, but was not good at all. He was beat off the bounce consistently, he kept over committing on defense trying to get steals and in return the other team drove it right into the paint and scored. His shot selection was lousy and he played hero ball, and he turned it over way too much. He was a disaster in overtime.

During the overtime period. Im not sure Mintz touched the ball twice on offense. Team Durant played hero ball, and, lost.

Rodney Rice had a really good game shooting, He also had 4 turnovers trying to do too much. His shot selection after the first half was over was not good. Rice finished 9-18 in the game with 25 points. He is a solid player but is really dependent on 3 point shooting.

During the overtime period. Im not sure Mintz touched the ball twice on offense. Team Durant played hero ball, and, lost.

I tuned in and watched the
fourth Qtr and OT. It was
the second time I've watched
Mintz.

My impression is he's very
good but needs some solid
coaching. These games are
a one on one slugfest. Any
concept of team ball does
not exist. Team Durant had
a one point lead with maybe
a half minute to go, with the
ball out of bounds. They
throw it in deep 20+ feet
above the top of the circle.
Catch and fire one up while
guarded. Horrible decision,
but typical.
Prior to that, they had a 3pt
lead and again went one on,
didn't work the clock, and lost
the ball. Coaching?....non
existent. Of course NY Rens
tie it up and win in OT. As
Vader posted, Mintz in OT
hardly touched the ball. The
guards just went one on one
and either turned it over or
missed badly. X at Pitt was
a James Robinson, disciplined
guard next to these guys.

With all that said, this is Bball
today. AAU ball, even h.s ball
has players copying what they
see on tv from the pros. Some
of these men coaching these
kids shouldn't be anywhere
near a Bball court. I do feel
Mintz is a very good get
for Capel. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Barlow just got Kansas. So, that is that.

It will be interesting watching this play out and if Kansas makes him a #1 vs a backup option going into the fall as they have a top pf visiting there soon.

Everything changed with RJ Davis when Roy Williams flew into New York and went to his house to get him. After that point, it was pretty much over for Pitt.

Its not clear yet with Barlow and obviously Kansas could change things. But we put ourselves in strong position with Barlow long ago and have built a strong relationship with him with a number of our coaches including Capel.

This pretty much solidifies a massive recruiting bump in the rankings which I said was going to happen anyway. Barlow should be Top 75. With Kansas and who knows who else with the tournament still going on, there is probably more big offers coming.

Reactions: VincePITT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT