ADVERTISEMENT

Peak’s credibility gone

Anyone that thinks Marino was a better player than Donald is insane. Donald was an impact player as a freshman on a deep D. He was consistently great for his last 3 years after being a merely good depth guy that Freshman year. He didn't play poorly in any stretch and singlehandedly won games. Maybe the QB position is more important so people don't know how to judge such things but Donald was as dominant as any player in history including the other 4 on the list. Donald was Pitt's best player against FSU in his 1st game and nearly every game his last couple seasons. Nobody nationwide even thought of voting for anyone else above him at DT. for AA. Marino was just one of several excellent QB's in his era. He was very rarely Pitts best player in any game of that era. Not even remotely close.

PS: just chatted with an oldtimer. He said Joe Schmidt was so good that the list should be 6 and Schmidt should be on it.

I'll post Fralic's resume in case there's and questions concerning him:

UPI Lineman of the Year (1984)
Unanimous All-American (1983, 1984)
First-team All-American (1982)
3× First-team All-East (1982, 1983, 1984)
Second-team All-East (1981)
College Football Hall of Fame

*Fralic became the first offensive lineman to twice finish in the top 10 of the Heisman Trophy balloting, placing sixth in 1984 and eighth in 1983.

My memory is that College Danny was better than his receivers or maybe it’s better than the coaching his receivers got.

Here’s what I remember and what I mean by that - Marino would throw to spots where the receivers were supposed to be - threw before the receivers broke - threw with a super quick release. Often (as I remember) the receivers just weren’t at the spot or ready to receive the ball.

I think that’s why Danny looked so much better as a pro - his receivers at Miami were super talented and great route runners.

Anyway, that’s how I remember it. But I’m 70. And well - dammit! - there’s those dang kids on the lawn again! - GET OUTTA THERE YOU YOUNG HEATHENS!
Too funny, @ChazzMo, your last comments! I'm slightly older than you are and know EXACTLY what you mean ... ;^)

Maybe the issue is that Chris limited the list to 5.

I would argue that a list of 5 would be perfect for basketball, but football should be a list of 22.

Now, maybe everybody's favorite will be on the list of 22.

Happy John Candy GIF by Laff

And Aaron Donald should not be on the list. Don’t confuse what he did in the pros with what he did at Pitt. If you look at historical records for Pitt, AD shows up one time and that’s for sacks and even there he is fourth.

Recency bias for sure.

True. Donald was great in the NFL, but I don't give a crap what he did there. This is about Pitt football. Donald was pretty good but not top 5 of all time overall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT