ADVERTISEMENT

Penn state game is sold out. 50,000 season tix sold

I know we shouldn't beg Penn State to play us, and if they don't want to play again, so be it.

But it has clearly been a major benefit for Pitt to play PSU. We beat them once, we may beat them again, we sold significantly more tickets than usual, and we grabbed some headlines. There is a minority of our fan base who never wants to play PSU again, but I am not in that group. Hopefully this series can happen again before I am collecting social security.

The myth that PSU fans aren’t buying season tickets should be put to bed now. I don’t think the excitement around the program is close to what it was two years ago after a 5-7 season.

They are selling tickets , all except PSU game for 100 a seat. Bought two off PSU fans for my parents , good seats for 200

I know we shouldn't beg Penn State to play us, and if they don't want to play again, so be it.

But it has clearly been a major benefit for Pitt to play PSU. We beat them once, we may beat them again, we sold significantly more tickets than usual, and we grabbed some headlines. There is a minority of our fan base who never wants to play PSU again, but I am not in that group. Hopefully this series can happen again before I am collecting social security.
I'm all for it, as long as it's even, home and home, nobody getting more home games than the other!

Reactions: ThePanthers
Then don't play them anymore
Yup. My thoughts on it: It’s a great game and rivalry, but if they think they’re too high and mighty playing us, WVU is lined up and ready to commit long-term. Play the people who want to play you.

Also, something I was thinking about that’s funny: WVU and PSU play the same amount of conference games and have the same amount of non-conference games. One complains about the schedule being too hard and us not “fitting” into their plan, and the other has actually called us out for not playing them, even when they have other P5 games lined up. I’d much rather play the latter. We want the game, they want the game.

Plus, I think the Brawl is more fun anyways. We may hate each other on the day of the game, but you can respect them and the school. Can’t say that about PSU.

WVU, ND, Tenn, with ACC schedule certainly is attractive especially if Pitt becomes a good program that wins the Coastal. I think the key here winning something that turns the program around in selling tickets to see a quality team. Pitt can change the dynamic here to draw 50 to 55K for ACC conference games as they become better known as conference opponents.

Yep, agree.

And totally agree that the return of WVU is just as exciting, if not more so. Economically it won't be quite as big probably but still should be a blast.
I actually am more attuned to WVU being a rival than PSU now. While I'm a fan going back to the '70s, the WVU series is more fresh in my memory with great Big East battles within the last 20 years.

Reactions: joeydavid
The myth that PSU fans aren’t buying season tickets should be put to bed now. I don’t think the excitement around the program is close to what it was two years ago after a 5-7 season.

While I believe PSU fans are buying some season tickets, I also think more Pitt fans buy them to ensure they get tickets themselves. Years where PSU or ND are not on the schedule it's pretty easy to get cheap tickets for every game. Not meant to be a knock.. it is the current reality.

While I believe PSU fans are buying some season tickets, I also think more Pitt fans buy them to ensure they get tickets themselves. Years where PSU or ND are not on the schedule it's pretty easy to get cheap tickets for every game. Not meant to be a knock.. it is the current reality.
Every year, it's easy to get cheap and even free tickets for every game except.... ND, Penn State and maybe WVU if we played them. Every other game, every year, you can show up at the parking lot and get tickets easy and usually under face value. Maybe IF we ever had maybe a 9-0 start and got a College Gameday game on a Saturday night, maybe that could get sold out in advance, otherwise most games have plenty of tickets available.

Ped st fans feel nobody wants to buy tickets for the Pitt vs Ped st game since it’s all ready played out. It lost its luster lol

Yet, the 4 game series has set attendance records at both places.

Seriously, these wacko’s must be on crack to be in such denial.

Ped st fans feel nobody wants to buy tickets for the Pitt vs Ped st game since it’s all ready played out. It lost its luster lol

Yet, the 4 game series has set attendance records at both places.

Seriously, these wacko’s must be on crack to be in such denial.

Actually last years game at PSU was 8th all-time at Beaver stadium.

Yup. My thoughts on it: It’s a great game and rivalry, but if they think they’re too high and mighty playing us, WVU is lined up and ready to commit long-term. Play the people who want to play you.

Also, something I was thinking about that’s funny: WVU and PSU play the same amount of conference games and have the same amount of non-conference games. One complains about the schedule being too hard and us not “fitting” into their plan, and the other has actually called us out for not playing them, even when they have other P5 games lined up. I’d much rather play the latter. We want the game, they want the game.

Plus, I think the Brawl is more fun anyways. We may hate each other on the day of the game, but you can respect them and the school. Can’t say that about PSU.

Then why spend so much time on the PSU board making an ass of yourself?

Reactions: Toddy_Too_Hotty
Every year, it's easy to get cheap and even free tickets for every game except.... ND, Penn State and maybe WVU if we played them. Every other game, every year, you can show up at the parking lot and get tickets easy and usually under face value. Maybe IF we ever had maybe a 9-0 start and got a College Gameday game on a Saturday night, maybe that could get sold out in advance, otherwise most games have plenty of tickets available.
The Steelers would have to suck as well.

Oh. If you’re right then there is a significant number of fair weather Pitt fans that only want to show up for Penn State or get super excited about 5-7 seasons.

Pitt always sells 45k - 50k season tickets, people just don't show up. The lower bowl and clubs are sold out every year, plus the mid-low center upper deck. 50k isn't much more than that.

And yes, there are a lot of fair weather fans who only buy for PSU.

Pitt always sells 45k - 50k season tickets, people just don't show up. The lower bowl and clubs are sold out every year, plus the mid-low center upper deck. 50k isn't much more than that.

This is sooooooo true.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Unfortunately, this is true. This reminds me of the time we went to the Old Dominion game with only one club seat. The two guys I was with said, “don’t worry, we’ll get some on the way in.” Sure enough, a guy gave us two club seats for free. I figured we could get some, but I wasn’t even expecting that :rolleyes:

After this season, games featuring Penn State will hold the TOP 2 spots for highest attended sporting events in Pittsburgh history.

WVU will be a decent replacement, but make no mistake about it, our athletic department will be salivating at the idea of getting PSU again.

Love em or hate em, it is what it is.

Reactions: Rm0717
After this season, games featuring Penn State will hold the TOP 2 spots for highest attended sporting events in Pittsburgh history.

WVU will be a decent replacement, but make no mistake about it, our athletic department will be salivating at the idea of getting PSU again.

We lol.

I thought you guys don’t care about us. Yet, here you are with a different name just so you can post on our message board

Nothing that playing ND or WVU wouldn't do...

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Lol whatever... "the biggest crowd in Pittsburgh history" gtfo

This is only because the Steelers haven't played a REAL playoff game since Heinz has been expended.

( The Jax Jags in the divisional round doesnt count)

Honestly, I couldn't care less if we ever played Pedophile State again...

So people buy seats they never intend to sit in every season.

If this theory is correct, Pitt could have a theoretical on-campus stadium, play all their games at the SS complex, and save a ton of money on renting Heinz.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
With, of course, the definition of real being one that fits the criteria you want to set, rather than the one the rest of the world uses.

Huh?? Jacksonville??Ohh idk?? Maybe an upstart team making their first playoff appearance in a decade didnt quite get the yinzers excited?

NE vs Pitt in the AFC title game would have shattered any attendance record.

Would Pitt sell out vs Notre Dame, Michigan, OSU, or any other large school? Of course they would. Any school that has a fan base that makes the game an “event” and can push 15k theough the turnstiles sells out the game and increases season ticket sales. I don’t see PSU doing anything that any other large school wouldn’t do.

Huh?? Jacksonville??Ohh idk?? Maybe an upstart team making their first playoff appearance in a decade didnt quite get the yinzers excited?

It was a playoff game by every definition of the word, except for by someone who seems to be weirdly wedded to the idea that the number of people at an event is the be all and end all of the discussion.

Just out of curiosity, was the game that set the record a playoff game? You know, since those are the only ones anyone cares about.

Reactions: Jpripper88

NE vs Pitt in the AFC title game would have shattered any attendance record.

Agree. Or any playoff game vs Baltimore etc. the extra seating has only been there since 2015....

Me personally, i’d rather play FSU or Clemson more often.

Definitely like it to continue .
Highlight of the season as far as I'm concerned .
I loved it back in the day and want it to be renewed .
The adrenaline rush is awesome .

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT