ADVERTISEMENT

Penn state game is sold out. 50,000 season tix sold

There's clearly a market for it. Penn State just has other options that will be just as profitable and keep the fanbase interested. Pitt will hopefully find games that get their fanbase excited. It's an uphill battle though because Pitt is rarely interested in any of their conference games which makes for the majority of the schedule. Perhaps that would change if Pitt will be in the hunt for their division championship. I was at the Pitt-Cincy defacto Big East championship game and it was a pretty good atmosphere. The Pitt game for 4 years is interesting but it would likely get stale over time if there were no other name non conference opponents. If we were back in the independent days, there'd be no reason not to play every year. It's just a different era. Playing WVU, V-Tech and Auburn will be a lot of fun. Will be fun travelling there as well, especially Auburn. If the series resumes down the road after a break, it'll likely be very interesting again.

Auburn? When do we play Auburn?

I know we play Tennessee / WVU / Wisconson and Notre Dame but I didnt know about Auburn??

There's clearly a market for it. Penn State just has other options that will be just as profitable and keep the fanbase interested. Pitt will hopefully find games that get their fanbase excited. It's an uphill battle though because Pitt is rarely interested in any of their conference games which makes for the majority of the schedule. Perhaps that would change if Pitt will be in the hunt for their division championship. I was at the Pitt-Cincy defacto Big East championship game and it was a pretty good atmosphere. The Pitt game for 4 years is interesting but it would likely get stale over time if there were no other name non conference opponents. If we were back in the independent days, there'd be no reason not to play every year. It's just a different era. Playing WVU, V-Tech and Auburn will be a lot of fun. Will be fun travelling there as well, especially Auburn. If the series resumes down the road after a break, it'll likely be very interesting again.
Good comment Gisher. I have a question regarding the Temple series that you guys agreed to in 2026-2027.

Do you know why PSU agreed to a home-and-home with Temple since they’re a G5 school and they normally don't do that? It wasn’t like there was other games lined up yet since it’s so far out. Was it because it’s in Philly and a game there gives alums a chance see PSU, meaning it’s essentially a home game? If that’s the case, why not another two-for-one?

Good comment Gisher. I have a question regarding the Temple series that you guys agreed to in 2026-2027.

Do you know why PSU agreed to a home-and-home with Temple since they’re a G5 school and they normally don't do that? It wasn’t like there was other games lined up yet since it’s so far out. Was it because it’s in Philly and a game there gives alums a chance see PSU, meaning it’s essentially a home game? If that’s the case, why not another two-for-one?

The 2 for 1 is a myth at this point. I'm not aware of that being spoken about publicly by anyone involved. It's silly to worry about. Pitt should have been the one after Temple instead of looking for Whiskey or some other top 25 school.

The 2 for 1 is a myth at this point. I'm not aware of that being spoken about publicly by anyone involved. It's silly to worry about. Pitt should have been the one after Temple instead of looking for Whiskey or some other top 25 school.
I agree with you regarding the Temple statement (OOC needs to be lighter), but I’m a little lost with the rest.

The guy I responded to was a PSU fan and I was asking him about the home-and-home they agreed to with Temple in 2026, compared to the two-for-one they agreed to the last time they played. Not worried about it, just interested in their thought process behind the agreement.

I agree with you regarding the Temple statement (OOC needs to be lighter), but I’m a little lost with the rest.

The guy I responded to was a PSU fan and I was asking him about the home-and-home they agreed to with Temple in 2026, compared to the two-for-one they agreed to the last time they played. Not worried about it, just interested in their thought process behind the agreement.

Our fans questioned that as well.

Maybe there’s some detail about the gate of their home gate getting split differently that we don’t know about yet. Like if their home game was actually considered a neutral site game assuming they have an on campus stadium by then. But playing a straight home and home doesn’t make sense from a scheduling stand point.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Have seen there's discussions about it. Have not seen it finalized. If it has been finalized, maybe it's because of Temple's proposed new on campus stadium?? I kid.. we'd play them at the Linc anyway. But being visible in Philly could be part of it. Who knows? I would hate if that's our "big" non conference game as would most PSU fans. But haven't seen it finalized or a plan for the rest of the schedule those years. Maybe the conference goes back to 8 conference games..

Have seen there's discussions about it. Have not seen it finalized. If it has been finalized, maybe it's because of Temple's proposed new on campus stadium?? I kid.. we'd play them at the Linc anyway. But being visible in Philly could be part of it. Who knows? I would hate if that's our "big" non conference game as would most PSU fans. But haven't seen it finalized or a plan for the rest of the schedule those years. Maybe the conference goes back to 8 conference games..
That would be our luck with the on-campus stadium, lol...

Thanks for the response. Good luck this year.

Honestly, I don’t think so. I think Ohio State would since they travel well and are close, but Florida State didn’t in 2013 (it was close), and Nebraska in 2004 (40K, although there were weather issues with the flooding) and Texas A&M in 2002 (ranked Aggies only brought in 45K) didn’t, either.

I really do think that only a few schools (PSU, WVU, ND) truly move the needle like that.
game

Attendance listed at 65,500 for FSU in 2013, the exact capacity of the stadium at the time.

FSU brought a ton of fans and probably would for any matchup. Pitt fans idk, big time opponent so it would probably be a big game anytime we played and that’s when the fans show up. In 2013 though it was Labor Day night and our first ACC game ever so that may have brought more fans than usual too.

EDIT: Sorry, idk why the link will not work. Just search up the ESPN recap from the Pitt-FSU game in 2013 though and at the bottom of the page the attendance is listed.

game

Attendance listed at 65,500 for FSU in 2013, the exact capacity of the stadium at the time.

FSU brought a ton of fans and probably would for any matchup. Pitt fans idk, big time opponent so it would probably be a big game anytime we played and that’s when the fans show up. In 2013 though it was Labor Day night and our first ACC game ever so that may have brought more fans than usual too.

EDIT: Sorry, idk why the link will not work. Just search up the ESPN recap from the Pitt-FSU game in 2013 though and at the bottom of the page the attendance is listed.
Yeah, I should’ve clarified. I know it was listed as an official sell-out, but check out some of the aerial shots from that game. There was some empty seats in the upper decks. This is a very bad video, but it shows a glimpse of what I’m talking about.

Regardless, that was a fun night, due to everything you listed. Savage to Garner for the first TD in the ACC.

Reactions: Pittx9

I don't think there's any evidence that PSU demanded a 2 for 1 with Pitt. That was my point. I also don't think Pitt should be that concerned with PSU for the time being. Pitt needs a lighter load OOC until the program is back on stable footing. I'd rather go 3-1 every year OOC than swim upstream against the messes they're dealing with right now. At least until the program is attracting a top 25 class of athletes.

We'd probably be looking at 2029 or beyond for a return of PSU.
This year's schedule is rough but the next two years should be better. I mean you never know because teams go up and down, but in theory...

I don't think there's any evidence that PSU demanded a 2 for 1 with Pitt. That was my point. I also don't think Pitt should be that concerned with PSU for the time being. Pitt needs a lighter load OOC until the program is back on stable footing. I'd rather go 3-1 every year OOC than swim upstream against the messes they're dealing with right now. At least until the program is attracting a top 25 class of athletes.
Sorry Dan, I’m a little lost. I didn’t mention up a two-for-one regarding Pitt and Penn State, but I agree with you that we shouldn’t accept that, nor should we load OOC each year.

It’s fine. I’m ranting.
But going back to OOC, you’re right. There really is no point to load it. The committee has shown they don’t care who you beat, as long as you win. We could easily make a bowl game each year, at least, if you focused on wins than quality. That’d be big in years we’re borderline top-25 or we have nine wins, because those games would get us over the edge. Plus, there’s been teams on an equal level as us in the past that we’re ranked higher or won more games than us because of it.

But going back to OOC, you’re right. There really is no point to load it. The committee has shown they don’t care who you beat, as long as you win. We could easily make a bowl game each year, at least, if you focused on wins than quality. That’d be big in years we’re borderline top-25 or we have nine wins, because those games would get us over the edge. Plus, there’s been teams on an equal level as us in the past that we’re ranked higher or won more games than us because of it.

And this team as it sits could stand to have some confidence. They played better as it went last year but the OOC cost them a badly needed bowl game. You can’t afford to miss out on practice or game time when you’re trying to build.

And this team as it sits could stand to have some confidence. They played better as it went last year but the OOC cost them a badly needed bowl game. You can’t afford to miss out on practice or game time when you’re trying to build.
Yup. Good point.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT