ADVERTISEMENT

Petersen Sports Complex Expansion?

Saw this story from Pitt on the approval of the 2018-2019 university budget:
http://www.news.pitt.edu/news/unive...nd-operating-budgets-sets-tuition-rates-all-c

Within the story is a list of some of the approved capital improvements, including improvements that will “expand utilization of the Petersen Sports Complex”.

Anyone have any insight on what this refers to?
Only thing that I heard from talking with the soccer coaches, soccer coaching and admin offices, video rooms and player lounges will be moved there and the seating may be expanded.

The primary improvement will be adding the 3rd floor to the main building that will include coaches offices and other player facilities.

That is what I was thinking. Also, its been a pet peeve of mine since it opened that there is no tunnel from the locker room to the soccer and baseball fields. It would be way too costly to do that now, but when building from scratch, it doesn't seem like it would have cost a whole bunch extra to have that. It seems bush league to have the players use the same restroom facilities as the fans and for soccer teams.

Reactions: W1np1tt
That is what I was thinking. Also, its been a pet peeve of mine since it opened that there is no tunnel from the locker room to the soccer and baseball fields. It would be way too costly to do that now, but when building from scratch, it doesn't seem like it would have cost a whole bunch extra to have that. It seems bush league to have the players use the same restroom facilities as the fans and for soccer teams.

A tunnel was in the original design but was cut by Cochran & company due to cost concerns. I don’t believe that’s included in the upcoming renovation tho

A tunnel was in the original design but was cut by Cochran & company due to cost concerns. I don’t believe that’s included in the upcoming renovation tho

Yeah, that seems like something that if they were going to do it, it would have been done initially and would be too costly now. I hope eventually they add restrooms to the dugouts at some point so the players don't have to walk over to the concession area.

Reactions: W1np1tt
So, if I’m understanding correctly, the goal is to move both soccer teams’ support facilities out of the Fitzgerald Field House and into an addition to the facility at the Sports Complex (which may include expanding the bleachers or other spectator seating at Urbanic Field)? Would this just be for soccer, or would baseball and softball’s coaching and support space move over as well?

Either way, it sounds like a valuable project that should benefit the programs involved tremendously - and would appear to set the stage for the longer-term Field House replacement. I’m a little surprised that the athletic department hasn’t stated anything publicly yet.

So, if I’m understanding correctly, the goal is to move both soccer teams’ support facilities out of the Fitzgerald Field House and into an addition to the facility at the Sports Complex (which may include expanding the bleachers or other spectator seating at Urbanic Field)? Would this just be for soccer, or would baseball and softball’s coaching and support space move over as well?

Either way, it sounds like a valuable project that should benefit the programs involved tremendously - and would appear to set the stage for the longer-term Field House replacement. I’m a little surprised that the athletic department hasn’t stated anything publicly yet.

Baseball and softball would be moved too.

I'm sure they've been in a quiet fundraising phase. The university is gearing up for a new capital campaign, and I'm sure the "Victory Heights" campaign for athletics will be part of that. I think they're planning to start a public phase by the end of the summer or fall.

Pretty crazy to think not that long ago Pitt soccer etc didn't even have their own field let alone admin offices. And soon games shown on cable tv up and down the east coast.

Pretty crazy to think not that long ago Pitt soccer etc didn't even have their own field let alone admin offices. And soon games shown on cable tv up and down the east coast.
Not only that, but both soccer programs are an entertaining and great entertainment option for the pitt sports and local soccer enthusiasts. 1000 people watching soccer up on the hill can be just as entertaining as 10000 watching hoops at the Pete.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Not only that, but both soccer programs are an entertaining and great entertainment option for the pitt sports and local soccer enthusiasts. 1000 people watching soccer up on the hill can be just as entertaining as 10000 watching hoops at the Pete.

Yea, its about "atmosphere." That last Pitt/VT soccer game with a crowd around 1000 had the best atmosphere of any Pitt athletics event I was at last year including football and basketball.

I would like to see Pitt soccer involve students more by creating an actual Supporters/Student Section

Yea, its about "atmosphere." That last Pitt/VT soccer game with a crowd around 1000 had the best atmosphere of any Pitt athletics event I was at last year including football and basketball.

I would like to see Pitt soccer involve students more by creating an actual Supporters/Student Section
Yeah. The pitt vs PSU men’s soccer game was my favorite pitt sporting event last year. Unfortunately many of us were also watching the US men lose to Trinidad and Tobago on our phones at the same time. And then I was on the parkway West as the final whistle blew and our World Cup hopes died.

Btw..I read an article about the top 10 college soccer venues in America today...it was pretty good stuff. I will try and link it.

Baseball and softball would be moved too.

I'm sure they've been in a quiet fundraising phase. The university is gearing up for a new capital campaign, and I'm sure the "Victory Heights" campaign for athletics will be part of that. I think they're planning to start a public phase by the end of the summer or fall.

Actually, while they would gladly accept donations, they are planning a $300 million bond issue to cover cost.

Nothing that i know is in the near future unfortunately

I was told that she hey hope to havevVictory Heights complete within 10 years. The project will be unveiled within the year. I thought it was October, but I might be wrong. I was shown a rendering and it was impressive.

I was told that she hey hope to havevVictory Heights complete within 10 years. The project will be unveiled within the year. I thought it was October, but I might be wrong. I was shown a rendering and it was impressive.

They still have to pay off that $300m in debt they are planning to issue, with interest. Lots of fundraising to do.

But yeah, if they waited until they raised even half that amount it would never get off the ground.

They still have to pay off that $300m in debt they are planning to issue, with interest. Lots of fundraising to do.

But yeah, if they waited until they raised even half that amount it would never get off the ground.

You’re talking about a faraway dream. We haven’t raised any significant money in the last year. There’s a looooong way to go. The good news is the $15 million PSC renovations are kicking off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT