ADVERTISEMENT

PFF 2023 Preseason All-ACC Team

The pick of Klubnik baffles me a bit, it feels like a complete shot in the dark. He certainly didn't do anything last year that deserves the ranking.

He started 2 games against 2 of the worst passing defenses in the country and finished 50-78 with 1 TD and 2 INTs. His game against UNC was pretty efficient, but their defense was 118th in completion percentage and 111th in passing yards allowed per game. Tennessee was even worse than that he had a horrible outing against them.

Riley Leonard was pretty solid all season, and Armstrong is back with the OC he had in 2021 when he was 2nd in the country in passing yards.

To be clear, you're claiming that Phil Jurkovec might be the most physically talented QB in the entire country?

Yes.

Even PFF, who doesn’t like him much, always grades him out highly when it comes to “big time throws” and off script plays.

Basically, when it comes to just “pure physical talent” plays, he’s about the highest graded QB in the country.

Reactions: Celtsfan
The pick of Klubnik baffles me a bit, it feels like a complete shot in the dark. He certainly didn't do anything last year that deserves the ranking.

5* guys have high hit rates.
He’s now being paired with arguably the best OC in college football.
And the alternative options aren’t great.

Klubnik's got some film that's off the chart at times. If he puts it all together, Clemson might be back in the title game. However, there are times where he looks really ordinary. He's young though.

I remember when Chip Kelly traded Shady to the Bills for Kiki Alonso and some guy was arguing with me that the Eagles won the trade because PFF said McCoy was overrated. Shady made the Pro Bowl the next three years. Alonso started one game for the Birds and Kelly got canned at the end of that season. So huge grain of salt.

Yes.

Even PFF, who doesn’t like him much, always grades him out highly when it comes to “big time throws” and off script plays.

Basically, when it comes to just “pure physical talent” plays, he’s about the highest graded QB in the country.
I'll just say I disagree, but I hope you're right.

I'll just say I disagree, but I hope you're right.

there really isn’t anything to “disagree” with. That is how PFF rates him. It’s not “me” being right or wrong, because I am not the one saying it.

PFF in 2020:

His 13 big-time throws under pressure were the third-most in the FBS. Along with that, the 6-foot-5, 226-pound mobile passer produced a 77.0 passing grade when creating out of structure, a top-five mark in the FBS.

Being able to make NFL level throws when you’re under pressure is something even a lot of NFL QBs can’t physically do. PJ is an absolute physical freak at QB.

Reactions: Celtsfan
there really isn’t anything to “disagree” with. That is how PFF rates him. It’s not “me” being right or wrong, because I am not the one saying it.

PFF in 2020:

His 13 big-time throws under pressure were the third-most in the FBS. Along with that, the 6-foot-5, 226-pound mobile passer produced a 77.0 passing grade when creating out of structure, a top-five mark in the FBS.

Being able to make NFL level throws when you’re under pressure is something even a lot of NFL QBs can’t physically do. PJ is an absolute physical freak at QB.
So 3 years ago he got a good grade in a fairly obscure advanced analytic. Yes, that's undisputable. I question why he hasn't graded out like that since then and still disagree with your initial statement.

Yes.

Unfortunately, “big time throws” and off script plays are not how to consistently win games.

Not making good, quick decisions and lacking accuracy from the pocket is why Phil hasn't been good in college.

So 3 years ago he got a good grade in a fairly obscure advanced analytic. Yes, that's undisputable. I question why he hasn't graded out like that since then and still disagree with your initial statement.

You’re trying too hard here.

I’ve already listed almost half of the ACC’s QBs that I would take over PJ.

And he has graded out like that since then. I didn’t look for his other years because the initial sub-point was why I would take Armstrong and TVD over them, and the reason is because they have had years that are better than his best year, and I’d more reasonably anticipate him getting back to. So I’m sticking strictly with PJ’s 2020 season because that was his “high” point.

But none of this is complicated.

1. PJ was an elite high school recruit because of his insane physical ability. He has flashed that insane physical ability in college.

2. PJ has been at best average in college, and that’s probably being kind to him. Even in 2020. And that’s because he can’t mentally process the game of football. Which wipes out his physical advantage on most plays.

You’re trying too hard here.

I’ve already listed almost half of the ACC’s QBs that I would take over PJ.

And he has graded out like that since then. I didn’t look for his other years because the initial sub-point was why I would take Armstrong and TVD over them, and the reason is because they have had years that are better than his best year, and I’d more reasonably anticipate him getting back to. So I’m sticking strictly with PJ’s 2020 season because that was his “high” point.

But none of this is complicated.

1. PJ was an elite high school recruit because of his insane physical ability. He has flashed that insane physical ability in college.

2. PJ has been at best average in college, and that’s probably being kind to him. Even in 2020. And that’s because he can’t mentally process the game of football. Which wipes out his physical advantage on most plays.
Sure he's athletic, pretty much all P5 QB recruits are. That doesn't make him potentially the most athletic QB in all of college football.

For example, I'd say he's behind everyone on this list: https://247sports.com/longformartic...arterback-entering-2023-season-210626278/amp/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT