ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Football Update

TJ had one of the most dominating teams that I've seen. They have size and playmakers. No doubt they would've competed and had a strong chance to win at 5A or 6A.

Reactions: passedout
Here's a thought, play up and actually play somebody?

Why? They are in the classification that their enrollment states they are in. They haven't won a state title in a while. Finally Erie Prep and those eastern Catholic schools are plenty of competition enough

Reactions: Pitt5593
Does TJ have any P5 recruits? I remember hearing about danielson having a little brother or something. Where is our TJ expert? @TJPanther13

No P5 recruits. A lot of Ivy League guys on this team. Mac Duda, the right tackle is going to Princeton. Stump and Deabner getting looked at by a couple Ivy League schools. I imagine Danielson will go FCS/D2. There’s only around 10 seniors on this team

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
No P5 recruits. A lot of Ivy League guys on this team. Mac Duda, the right tackle is going to Princeton. Stump and Deabner getting looked at by a couple Ivy League schools. I imagine Danielson will go FCS/D2. There’s only around 10 seniors on this team
Thanks TJ.

That's surprising but if you have a team with like 8 FCS guys, you could win a lot of games in 6A

I think a great matchup would be 2019 Thomas Jefferson vs 2013 South Fayette. Wonder who would win that game.

They probably lose to Southern Columbia if they played AA though. No team in the state stops that offense.

Southern is outstanding but who have they played that has an upper echelon front 7? There is no one who can consistently cover Fleming but they rarely get stressed up front nor does the QB.

This TJ team would comfortably beat Southern Columbia. Too much size in strength upfront for TJ. No disrespect to SC. A special team for sure.

Reactions: passedout
Why? They are in the classification that their enrollment states they are in. They haven't won a state title in a while. Finally Erie Prep and those eastern Catholic schools are plenty of competition enough

Outscored their opponents by 664 points. Average margin of victory was 41.5 points. Closest game was a 15-point win over Cathedral Prep and they only had three games all season within 30 points or less. Good for them winning a state title, but at some point winning like that every week isn't fun.

Outscored their opponents by 664 points. Average margin of victory was 41.5 points. Closest game was a 15-point win over Cathedral Prep and they only had three games all season within 30 points or less. Good for them winning a state title, but at some point winning like that every week isn't fun.

I see your point and would agree if talking about Southern Columbia. But with TJ not being able to get past ECP in the west the past few seasons, I can see why they felt there was unfinished business in 4A .

It is not like Southern Columbia who has won title after title without challenge and they still stay 2A.

Reactions: Lefty Hill
I see your point and would agree if talking about Southern Columbia. But with TJ not being able to get past ECP in the west the past few seasons, I can see why they felt there was unfinished business in 4A .

It is not like Southern Columbia who has won title after title without challenge and they still stay 2A.

I get winning a state title, but are you having any fun as a player (whether it is TJ or Southern Columbia) winning by Mercy Rule every week? Are you ever being challenged as a player without having a single competitive game all season? TJ basically has a free pass to two more WPIAL titles over the next two years with South Fayette moving up, unless McKeesport fills the void. Not a single team in 4A who can compete with that program now and we will just see two more years of Mercy Rule games. They'd still compete in 5A and have chance at WPIAL titles.

08-17 7:00 pm @ Mifflinburg (S) - -
08-25 2:00 pm @ Hammond School (SC) 36-0 W
08-31 7:00 pm vs. Mount Carmel (D) (L) 48-0 W
09-06 7:00 pm @ Selinsgrove (L) 76-0 W
09-13 7:00 pm @ Shamokin (L) 62-0 W
09-20 7:00 pm vs. Central Columbia (D) (L) 62-0 W
09-27 7:00 pm vs. South Williamsport (D) (L) 76-6 W
10-04 7:00 pm @ Jersey Shore (L) 56-14 W
10-11 7:00 pm @ Wyoming Area (L) 42-0 W
10-18 7:00 pm @ Montoursville (L) 35-0 W
10-25 7:00 pm vs. Danville (L) 49-6 W
11-02 7:00 pm vs. Towanda (P) 75-0 W
11-09 7:00 pm vs. North Penn-Mansfield (P) 42-0 W
11-16 7:00 pm vs. Mount Carmel (P) 49-0 W
11-22 7:00 pm @ Upper Dauphin (P) 63-22 W
11-29 7:00 pm vs. Richland (P) 49-27 W
12-06 1:00 pm vs. Avonworth (P) 74-7 W

Legend

Southern has a lot of kids with the “Coal Region Red Shirt “ . Lot should have been 2019 kids. Fleming should be 2019 kid as well as Garcia kid. I believe 11 all total

PIAA has the mandatory promotion rule going into effect this year. Archbishop Wood, Cathedral Prep, Farrell, Imhotep Charter, Lackawanna Trail and Wilmington all could be promoted/remain in 6A per the Tribune Review.

With fewer kids playing football and games getting more lopsided, perhaps the PIAA needs to go to more of a system based on "program strength." That would be difficult to do but anything better than this.

With fewer kids playing football and games getting more lopsided, perhaps the PIAA needs to go to more of a system based on "program strength." That would be difficult to do but anything better than this.

Don't other states do this with a promotion/relegation system? There are 6A teams that would struggle against 3A teams. They need to fix the competitive balance and get back to playing local games.

I mean I give Aliquippa credit, they have the guts to play up. What is Southern Columbia doing playing 2A? That's ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT