ADVERTISEMENT

Pick Your All-Time Big East/ACC Pitt Hoops Roster ...

Pitt's Big East record in the first two seasons with Charles Smith was 14-18. That doesn't mean Smith was not one of our best players. The first two seasons for Brandon the Big East record was 12-20.
First big fish recruited for Dr Roy was Curtis Aiken the next yr was CSmith and DGore and then JLane . The BE was a tough place for young teams to win just the ACC .

Freshman dominated teams have almost always struggled in tough conferences unless your freshman are truly elite like Zion .

From day 1 Charles Smith was an extremely talented player , but he was never close to the level of Zion .
( who is ! )

Adding a great freshman to a veteran team like when JD added Blair is a framework for Pitts current team . When X , Trey and Toney are jrs JC should have enough time to land a truly impactful freshman that allows Pitt to compete with a the conference big boys .

Adding X to Young and Artis senior yr would’ve been impactful .

I always thought Charles would have been an awesome 4, over having to play with his back to the hoop.

Vaughan was special, with not a lot of help from the players around him, as we ventured into the Big East of Pat Ewing, Chris Mullin and Ed
Pinkney.

I'm not going to say he should replace many of the best we have had, but he is on the list of best we ever had. Adams can't be on the list. As much as we would have liked it to be better, he is not on the list.

Yeah I agree re: Adams. I had Gray as my "true" center behind Smith as the starter.

What I remember in 88 especially was Charles playing high post and Jerome going low. Was a nice high/low set considering Smith's excellent mid range jumper game and Jerome's all time rebounding skills. Jerome could also crash the boards, miss on the rebound, and get back on defense, where a traditional center would be trailing.

Yeah I agree re: Adams. I had Gray as my "true" center behind Smith as the starter.

What I remember in 88 especially was Charles playing high post and Jerome going low. Was a nice high/low set considering Smith's excellent mid range jumper game and Jerome's all time rebounding skills. Jerome could also crash the boards, miss on the rebound, and get back on defense, where a traditional center would be trailing.

I believe Charles was primarily a 4 his first two years.

1st
B. Knight
J. Matthews
C. Smith
S. Young
D. Blair

2nd
L. Fields
B. Wannamaker
J. Brown
C. Troutman
J. Lane

R. Greer
L. Patterson
C. Taft

This was much harder than I thought it would be...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT