ADVERTISEMENT

"Pickett's Charge"

pittjd06

All American
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2007
First, on "Pickett's Charge". Somebody posted that title for Kenny's 58-yard TD run - I'm not claiming credit, but it's great work and we'll run with it. (Edit: credit to @Ray-Ray)

But my question for you boys is "Where does Pickett's Charge rank among the all-time great plays in Pitt history?"

I'll begin. I'm a Panther fan/seasonticketholder of 19 seasons.

I've been present, personally, for Palko to Gill again and again at Notre Dame in 2004.

For Bostick to Baldwin at South Bend.

For Lousaka Polite running over Vegas Robinson to beat VT.

For countless Larry Fitz moments in 2003.

For Palko trucking the BC defender.

For Revis' punt return.

For all of Shady's magnificence.

I gave up my tickets for 13-9 and its various memorable moments because my sister's Hoopie boyfriend dumped her, and I didn't want to be in Morganhole by myself with two young women (my wife being the other).

Ray Graham's whirling dervish against Notre Dame in 2009.

For the PSU game in 2016.

I wasn't personally present, but James Conner's performance against Clemson in 2016.

Same, Saleem Brightwell.

Same, Sirvocea's Shovel 6 (I had to miss the Clemson game for a kid football game).

Marino to Brown was before my time.

The 1976 NC was before my time.

All of that is to name a few.

But I'm here to say, that Pickett's Charge was the most amazing and memorable and impactful play for Pitt football since AT LEAST Marino to Brown (which might get the edge as it was a game winner, but it's debatable).

For the sheer amazement of a pocket passer darting 58 yards for the score, for the gut punch of it happening in the few plays of a championship game, for the cunning fake slide, for the amazing athleticism of actually being able to pull out of a slide on the run without injury or simply falling down.

It was amazing. And I was there. I will never forget it, and I could watch the calls of RGIII and/or our beloved radio crew 1000 times without tiring. And viewed in juxtaposition with the 75-yard Etienne scamper 3 years ago? It announced that a very different Pitt team was in the house than the one which was so badly overmatched in 2018, this edition of the Panthers led by a gunslinger who is, despite what others may say, the poster boy for CFB in 2021. Extra COVID Year? So many use it to explore the transfer portal... Kenny came back despite overtures from "blue bloods". NLI ruining the game? Kenny uses it to take care of his linemen (and get himself a truck - but you go right ahead, Kenny). Kenny is everything you hope for a college quarterback to be. I feel like I watched my own kid grow up and reach his full potential - it's so satisfying to me. I'm just so proud of him - I said on Saturday that no matter what happened that night, I really wanted Kenny to exorcise his ACCFCG demons - 2018 was so rough. Boy did he ever!

And whether he wins it or, you're damn right Kenny had his "Heisman Moment" with one of the most spectacular plays - the "fake slide" will live forever - that any of us have seen or will ever see, on a scramble play of all things! It is the stuff of legend, apropos for our legendary quarterback. And I'm putting it down that it's greatest play I've ever witnessed in my 19 years, and willing to say that nothing since Marino-to-Brown can touch it.

It was as good as it gets, or will ever be. Hail to Pitt! Hail to Pickett! I'm so damn happy and proud to say I was there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News