ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett's decision

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Haven't followed the whole thing super closely but it seems like Kenny asked for a trade when Russell Wilson was brought in because the Steelers originally told him it was going to be a competition and then told him Wilson would be the starter. Wilson stinks and Pickett would have eventually won that job but instead, he is in a worse situation in Philly. The Steelers may be a trash organization but I dont get why he'd want less of a chance to play.

Haven't followed the whole thing super closely but it seems like Kenny asked for a trade when Russell Wilson was brought in because the Steelers originally told him it was going to be a competition and then told him Wilson would be the starter. Wilson stinks and Pickett would have eventually won that job but instead, he is in a worse situation in Philly. The Steelers may be a trash organization but I dont get why he'd want less of a chance to play.
Pickett, Rudolph and Trubitsky are all gone because.....

Tomlin wanted to eliminate any evidence of his incompetence.

I'm over it but also a little concerned where our next QB is going to come from.

I said Pickett deserved another year to prove himself healthy and with a new OC. The media sh&&storm made that pretty much impossible. Now they are riding with 2 QB's whose previous teams are shedding no tears to see them go.

Dulac still dying on the hill of Pickett being a bad apple and having a bad attitude. Also said Barton was a generational player the Steelers would take if available. Mr. Insider indeed.

Can we not with Pickett anymore? Steelers have their guy, Kenny is happy....it appears everyone got what they wanted. Pitt got any new visitors from the portal?

I cant understand the competitor in Pickett would rather compete with Jalen Hurts, who he has no chance in ever beating out than Russell Wilson, who stinks and would have been the starter by November. I love Kenny but this was a bad decision. Should have swallowed his pride and beat Wilson out.

I cant understand the competitor in Pickett would rather compete with Jalen Hurts, who he has no chance in ever beating out than Russell Wilson, who stinks and would have been the starter by November. I love Kenny but this was a bad decision. Should have swallowed his pride and beat Wilson out.
You missed the part about no competition and “pole position”… finding out through social media, no call back from Tomlin etc… dude got lied to plain and simple

Once you’re aware of this the rest falls into place…no mystery at all.

Have you met Mike Tomlin? He isn't exactly a quarterback whisperer. Ben already had a Superbowl before he got here so you can't credit him for that development. Kenny Pickett worked for Mike Tomlin for 2 years and seen what year 3 was going to look like and said...nope I'm good. I think he is thinking long term....or not. Either way who gives a flying 💩 anymore!!! You shoulda got in on this discussion last month.
Philadelphia Eagles Sport GIF by Sealed With A GIF

Have you met Mike Tomlin? He isn't exactly a quarterback whisperer. Ben already had a Superbowl before he got here so you can't credit him for that development. Kenny Pickett worked for Mike Tomlin for 2 years and seen what year 3 was going to look like and said...nope I'm good. I think he is thinking long term....or not. Either way who gives a flying 💩 anymore!!! You shoulda got in on this discussion last month.
Philadelphia Eagles Sport GIF by Sealed With A GIF

It was during March Madness so I couldn't

So my two cents and total speculation. Kenny grew up an Eagles fan. He also knows that Jalen Hurts is the starter but usually gets hurts for at least 1-3 games a year. The Eagles have an OC who know runs a similar system to what he had at Pitt. So maybe he plays in 2-3 games next year and looks really good? Then the Eagles could trade him somewhere that needs a starter QB and he can earn that next contract? Hes the unquestioned backup with Eagles. With Steelers he was benched for one guy who was still on the roster at the time and then they brought in Wilson and said he was the starter now instead. So it looked like he might not even be the backup either if he stayed with the Steelers. Plus the Steelers have already shown a to be completely mpatient and unfair with him.

At least with the Eagles he knows he plays whether its injury or junk time he will be guy with what the Eagles traded to get him. I just think Tomlin jerked him around too much and he wanted a fresh start. And the Eagles offered a great opportunity and willing to send something of value to Steelers for him.

It was a win-win-win for all parties involved.

Last edited:
I have made the very same point. Even Terry Bradshaw was benched in favor of Jefferson Joe for awhile. There would have been a good chance that Wilson will need to be replaced, but Kenny now finds himself behind Jalen Hurts, who does not have a good chance of being replaced. Of course, Kenny didn't know he would be traded to Philly, but that's the chance he took. I hope it works out fo r him eventually.

So my two cents and total speculation. Kenny grew up an Eagles fan. He also knows that Jalen Hurts is the starter but usually gets hurts for at least 1-3 games a year. The Eagles have an OC who know runs a similar system to what he had at Pitt. So maybe he plays in 2-3 games next year and looks really good? Then the Eagles could trade him somewhere that needs a starter QB and he can earn that next contract? Hes the unquestioned backup with Eagles. With Steelers he was benched for one guy who was still on the roster at the time and then they brought in Wilson and said he was the starter now instead. So it looked like he might not even be the backup either if he stayed with the Steelers. Plus the Steelers have already shown a to be completely patient and unfair with him.

At least with the Eagles he knows he plays whether its injury or junk time he will be guy with what the Eagles traded to get him. I just think Tomlin jerked him around too much and he wanted a fresh start. And the Eagles offered a great opportunity and willing to send something of value to Steelers for him.

Yeah I actually think Philly is the better situation for him. If the Steelers promised Russ the starting position meaning Kenny is going to be a back-up, he's better off being the back-up on a team where, if injuries happen and he gets the chance to play, he will be part of an offense with better tools around him to get a better chance of succeeding.

Yeah I actually think Philly is the better situation for him. If the Steelers promised Russ the starting position meaning Kenny is going to be a back-up, he's better off being the back-up on a team where, if injuries happen and he gets the chance to play, he will be part of an offense with better tools around him to get a better chance of succeeding.
And surviving ...

Reactions: 303vND
1. he was traded, he didn't have a choice of which team.
2. fresh start? sure, but didn't call his shot of who he was in front of or sat behind
3. he will do his best to say all the right things, unlike the last few months with the Steelers.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Pittsburgh is a different city than most. Other than the Steelers no other sports team is currently worth a darn. Pirates suck, Penguins suck,we have no basketball ball team but if we did they'd probably suck too. Half the people in Philly didn't even watch the draft last night cuz they were watching the 76ers kick some butt. Kenny will gain generational wealth and his wife will probably be a lot happier. Kid helped this city bring home the only trophy it's got in recent memory. H2P

The Pittsburgh Browns are not a better situation.

I think it’s telling that the Steelers just used their first TWO draft picks to improve their offensive line. It’s too bad that KP - their 1st round pick - wasn’t given that degree of support. That tells everyone that the Steelers were lacking in their judgment on how to treat a young, developing quarterback.

So my two cents and total speculation. Kenny grew up an Eagles fan. He also knows that Jalen Hurts is the starter but usually gets hurts for at least 1-3 games a year. The Eagles have an OC who know runs a similar system to what he had at Pitt. So maybe he plays in 2-3 games next year and looks really good? Then the Eagles could trade him somewhere that needs a starter QB and he can earn that next contract? Hes the unquestioned backup with Eagles. With Steelers he was benched for one guy who was still on the roster at the time and then they brought in Wilson and said he was the starter now instead. So it looked like he might not even be the backup either if he stayed with the Steelers. Plus the Steelers have already shown a to be completely mpatient and unfair with him.

Hasn’t Kenny missed 2-3 game every year.

I think it’s telling that the Steelers just used their first TWO draft picks to improve their offensive line. It’s too bad that KP - their 1st round pick - wasn’t given that degree of support. That tells everyone that the Steelers were lacking in their judgment on how to treat a young, developing quarterback.
How many 1st round picks have gone to team that know how to treat them?How soft Kenny must really be.

Hindsight is always 20/20. If he hadn't fallen to the Steelers in the draft - and the "pressure" to pick him @ that spot wasn't so evident - we wouldn't be having this discussion

I agree with @Slick Manager of Champs that Dulac (as well as Cook, Madden, et al) were on Kenny's a$$ from draft day forward. And the lack of a good QB "mentor", OC, and OL further complicated his ability to develop @ Steelers

As others have said, KP's role in Philly will be to step in for Hurts when/if he gets injured. Pickett may never become a starter in the NFL but I'll root for him to have a decent career

Reactions: Chaos
Pickett will never be a starting QB in this league and it’s tbd if he will be in the league in 3-4 years. Slow eyes. Slow processor. He was never a 1st round pick and Steelers reached. It was a disastrous pick. It would’ve been a disaster if they took Malik Willis too. Both were the “best” QBs in what was known as the worst QB draft class of all time.

Willis was a 3rd rounder. That’s exactly where Pickett should’ve ended up.

Pickett will never be a starting QB in this league and it’s tbd if he will be in the league in 3-4 years. Slow eyes. Slow processor. He was never a 1st round pick and Steelers reached. It was a disastrous pick. It would’ve been a disaster if they took Malik Willis too. Both were the “best” QBs in what was known as the worst QB draft class of all time.

Just like the disaster Geno was for the Jets?? KP didn't have the supporting cast here and he was the scapegoat for the inadequacies of dem stillers. A competent OC as well OL is key for any qb to succeed. IMO KP will be successful in the NFL. I never wanted the stillers to draft him giving how the Pittsburgh media treats Pitt in general. Please take your road back home to sheepville. H2P!!!!!

I wish KP would have stuck with the Steelers and competed with Wilson and Hurts and it is apparent the staff realized how bad the OL was for KP last year by drafting OL in the 1st 2 rounds! I have a bad feeling about the Steelers this season!

Just like the disaster Geno was for the Jets?? KP didn't have the supporting cast here and he was the scapegoat for the inadequacies of dem stillers. A competent OC as well OL is key for any qb to succeed. IMO KP will be successful in the NFL. I never wanted the stillers to draft him giving how the Pittsburgh media treats Pitt in general. Please take your road back home to sheepville. H2P!!!!!
No need for the emotional outburst. Geno always had the arm talent, ability to read defenses, etc. However, he also has frequent lapses in decision making. I’m a Steelers fan. I couldn’t care less if he went to Pitt, WVU or VT. Would’ve gladly been wrong about Pickett when he was drafted. I also think the Najee pick was a very bad pick as well but not as bad as Pickett.

There are some on here that are attempting to excuse Pickett’s poor play entirely on the OL.

Reactions: Schaef60
No need for the emotional outburst. Geno always had the arm talent, ability to read defenses, etc. However, he also has frequent lapses in decision making. I’m a Steelers fan. I couldn’t care less if he went to Pitt, WVU or VT. Would’ve gladly been wrong about Pickett when he was drafted. I also think the Najee pick was a very bad pick as well but not as bad as Pickett.

There are some on here that are attempting to excuse Pickett’s poor play entirely on the OL.
Uh we just drafted our 2 top picks on OL sooooo

KP would have beaten out Wilson and Hurts if he stayed!

How many 1st round picks have gone to team that know how to treat them?How soft Kenny must really be.
Burrow is the best example of this. His first year, before they drafted Chase, they were terrible and he was running for his life, but he made plays and showed flashes of being an elite QB before he was hurt. I love KP, but he never flashed at all.

You must be too young to recall the supporting cast that surrounded Roethlisberger when he became the starter, huh?
Ben had Hines Ward, Plaxico, Bettis, a good OL and a defense with studs including a 2nd year Polamalu who hadn’t even emerged yet. The Steelers had a bad 5-11 year in 2003, but before that they won 14 games in 2001 and made the playoffs in 2002. Ben stepped into a golden situation.

Your entire first post was an “emotional outburst “… no one is fooled.

Najee had similar struggles because of an ass Oline…,it’s that simple. Add in an offensive game plan a 6th grader could easily scheme a defensive game plan against and there you go.

The Steelers were not in great shape when Pickett was drafted. Period. I’m not sure they’re in great shape now either… if this QB experiment fails look out

Steelers fans are the epitome of over reaction and emotional outbursts…,if you’re good you’re “the best” blah blah … we saw this with Ben and wild ass comparison to Brady… if you struggle you suck you’re the worst ever… it’s stupid.

Steelers fans are the epitome of over reaction and emotional outbursts…,if you’re good you’re “the best” blah blah … we saw this with Ben and wild ass comparison to Brady… if you struggle you suck you’re the worst ever… it’s stupid.
You had me given you props until I started reading this paragraph. More specifically the highlighted sentence.

When did any of us (Steeler Fans) compare Ben to Brady!?!?...we like Ben on the field, but Brady definitely shut us up way back in '04 when we went 15-1 with home field and still couldn't beat their cheating asses!!

................................................................................

Overall though, I think this draft coupled with last year has been incredible. Colbert, unfortunately, overlooked the need to rebuild the offensive line. While he was overlooking it, he decided to keep feeding Ben with WR's...hence the saying "Pittsburgh knows how to draft Wide Receivers"....of course they did, they had to.

13-9. Woooooooooo.

STFU bitch. No natty for you. Not ever, actually. Hahahahahahaha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT